1949 buick gas filter.

There are period-looking glass AC filter setups available with paper cartridge filters. Check with one of the usual Buick parts suppliers.  My Carter setup has a ceramic strainer. It has worked well since 1949, but may be hard to come by, yet they are available.

• Like 1

Don't glue it, you can't clean it out if you do.  There should be a rubber gasket in the top of the filter that may need to be replaced.  You may find that an "O" ring will work also.

What are you filtering out? I haven't had an element in my car for about ten years. I took it out diagnosing another problem. I went to put it back in a thought "Why bother, there is nothing in there."

I did have a '56 Olds one time that had set with an empty gas tank for a long time. There was always a very fine mixture of rust in any fuel sample. I had a filter on that one but the stuff was so fine the tips of my spark lugs were always orange.

I am not much of a filter advocate for the use collector cars get and the low mileage between annual services.

I have some of the Carter ceramic elements. I'll have to get the part number off the old boxes.

As to no filter, I do not have a car without a fuel filter. Nor tractor!😉 Clean filter, happy carburetor.😃

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

I replaced one on my 49 Buick last year and many components can be found new or used on eBay -

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=Glass+Bowl+Fuel+Filter+AC&_sacat=0

Do be careful with the fuel line fitting size though - they do vary.  And any brass adapters you might need will need to be the flared type or they will leak.  They can be hard to find.

Bob's Automobilia carries a new one - Gas Filter Assembly . GF-406 - CODE: GF-406 - check your fittings size!

Also, I added an inline paper filter to the fuel line before the fuel pump, just rear of the front wheel, where it tranistions from steel to rubber line.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...