1929 Plymouth hidden treasures

JRA

Hello! I recently bought a 1929 Plymouth sedan, unrestored car. It was in Nebraska, but l believe it spent a long part of his life in NY. The car was transported by truck from Omaha, NE to Miami, FL, and then by ship to Brazil. Today it seats in my garage, about 2.5 hours from Rio de Janeiro. My initial intention was to restore it, but I gave up, the pictures confirm my decision.

It is a Time Capsule, and I believe I have no right to change.

The car is in very good mechanical condition. I only had to replace the wheel cylinders so the brake system can work properly. The other adjustments done fall in the regular maintenance category. 
The car came with the trunk full of tools, amazing pieces of history. Air tire pump was inside a canvas bag seems to be WW2 soldier’s bag. Many interesting pieces as inner tire valves replacement sets, cleaning towel, lightbulbs, tire chains, tools …

But more interesting of all is what I found under the rear seat: a May 1929 newspaper and an used horse shoe. The front page of the newspaper was probably damaged by the the horseshoe nails friction over the years. I read the newspaper trying to get any clue why those two pieces were hidden there, but with no success. There is an entire page describing car accidents, but they not say the car brand of vehicles involved. Who knows…open for opinions!

Anyway, I returned the newspaper and the horseshoe to the exact same place they were. They probably have been there for about 95 years, I am not the one to take it out! 

754DDB73-F59A-4A65-A7AE-F9138D2C116C.jpeg

D4DEB42E-9351-4CB0-B033-F1186A600C80.jpeg

D9D12991-A99D-4F76-9576-71FF01D88E23.jpeg

7BD76745-C259-49FD-867E-ACBAFF757647.jpeg

A899FC9E-2042-4D25-AD08-F1774E125575.jpeg

EB9593B1-A49B-49B5-B639-F39DD1C07B99.jpeg

1D157491-8798-4241-B3AE-8F8B0937AE25.jpeg

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

• JRA changed the title to 1929 Plymouth hidden treasures

Wow! It is amazing that all those items remained in the car for so long. It is truely a time capsule. You are to be commended for deciding to maintain the car in its current condition. 

• Like 10

SO very pleased to see this my friend! Indeed a time capsule. thanks for sharing this with all of us.

To all reading this - the owner of the car now is a great fellow and good friend , and we are able to spend some time in conversation with at Hershey each year.

The car now has an premier excellent caretaker and will be used/driven etc. I am so pleased he has this great 4 cylinder Plymouth .

That is a pretty neat heater box on the rear floor as well. 😀

It is nearly a year away but I hope we can once again have dinner together with the rest of the squirrels at the SAH annual dinner meeting in October 2024 at Hershey.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A very neat car and a great stash of goodies to go along with it.

Glad to hear the car is in good hands, I did notice quite a few other pre-war cars in the background of one picture.

Would love to see some pictures of the car out and about in the area you live.

Not too often you see pictures of American pre-war cars out and about in Brazil.

• Like 2

If this 1929 was produced before late fall look at your distributor drive housing .  If it is bolted to  the front of the block with two bolts, look for two  oil cups on the distributor body.  The lower cup oils the bevel gears that drive the distributor.  This is the only way the gears receive oil and if you run them dry it will ruin them.  Nice Survivor car.  I suggest you join the Plymouth club.  You will meet great people, receive good knowledge, find parts  and save money.

• Like 2

For sure, Walt! It will be a great pleasure ti meet you in Hershey in October. The heater box is a nice accessory that came with the car, it still has some remains of coal from the last use!
Thanks DFeeney, I believe it is really an early 1929 model. It has the oil cups in the distributor body, as you mentioned. Everything was oiled before driving the car. The undercarriage is also in great condition.
You are totally right Dave Mellor NJ, back in the 1960s, many US pre-war cars, brought when new to Brazil, were sold to American collectors and shipped back to US. Early 2000s, the Brazilian import regulations were changed to allow importing cars over 30 years old, then a market was created for acquisition of antique cars abroad.

My 1929 Marmon, model 78, Touring Speedster was saved by luck. It was imported to Brazil in 1929 to be the personal car of Power&Utilities company director in São Paulo state, I still have the company asset plate on it! 
An US buyer came to Brazil and found the car in late 1960s, bought it ant tried to ship it from a port up in the north of Brazil. For some reason, he failed to pay some taxes and the car was confiscated by the authorities. He gave up and returned without the car. About couple of years later, the car was put to auction by the government, when the previous owner bought it. It took me 8 years to buy such car from him. Actually, this was the car brought me to the hobby. I saw it in a car show in my hometown, when I was 16 y.o., still in high school, back in 1991. I got so impressed with that large automobile; so the idea of owning an antique car was installed in my mind that day! 

• Like 6

Hello JRA,  Please note in 1929 Plymouth had 3 variations of their engine block.   One had no water pump, fuel pump.   One had fuel pump added.  The 3rd had , water pump, fuel pump.  The block casting was different on each engine.  Look at your block and see which you have.

• Like 1

The engine of my Plymouth has no water pump, it is a themo-syphon system. Fuel feed is through a Stewart-warner vacuum tank, where the vacuum connection is different from my other cars, it is on the oil pump system. I was so surprised about this that I thought it would be a modification, but the car came with the owner’s manual, and I could verify it is correct.

• Like 2

Hello JRA,  If your 1929 Chryster has a  2 pc windshield could you send me a picture showing the windshield.   Attached is my 1928 Q Plymouth.  The 1928/29 Plymouths are almost the same body wise.  However the 28 used the Maxwell engine where the 29 used the new more robust Plymouth 4 cylinder.

IMG_0305_brighter.jpg

• Like 3

Hi DFeeney! Very beautiful Chrysler-Plymouth you have! I like the sidemounts. There was a similar car here in Brazil that I have tried to buy for while, same year and model as yours, but with wrong wheels. Even the paint was similar.

My 1929 Chrysler, model 75, roadster, has a single windshield frame. When I bought the car, it was not correct. I had one manufactured by N/C Industries Antique Auto Parts, from Sayre-PA (www.windshieldframes.com) and then shipped to Brazil, where it was chrome plated. You can see it on the car in the picture below.

Thanks, JRA

image.jpeg.d14669cd4f1fb2906fbee86040d5cd5c.jpeg

• Like 4

I have a friend who is looking for a complete  2pc windshield for a 1929 Chrysler model75 touring car.   If you know of any for sale shoot me a E-mail.   Think Spring,   Don

• Like 1