Advice wanted 31 Plymouth Convertible Coupe

Vance C

There's a 1931 Chrysler 2 door convertible for sale near me. I haven't taken the 2 hour trip to see it yet but would like some advice on this model. I have a few photos and the seller says it drives. That's all I know right now so IF: it isn't rotten with rust and starts, stops and drives reasonable well what would you consider a reasonable price for it? What do I need to look out for on this particular model? Here's a photo showing the car for sale and on the right are restored cars. Thanks in advance.
Vance

All Cars.jpg

First thing I notice is the block at the front wheel. That says there's a brake issue. To fully rebuild the braking system, that's a few thousand at minimum. I would be concerned about damage done to the frame, battery tray and shields due to hydraulic fluid leaking.

I would be curious as to how well it runs. You could run into issues with the fuel pump and the carb. Neither are inexpensive to rebuild. Another is the water pump. If it has any form of large crack, it's not going to be rebuildable. They are extremely rare and expensive to find and rebuild.

If all the gauges are there, restoring them isn't too expensive. Finding them if they're not is going to be a nightmare. You can get a new wiring harness, so that's easy if everything else is there.

Overall, most parts aren't too difficult to find with patience.

You're looking at ALOT of work. I would be skeptical of any price over a few thousand dollars. I'm hoping this isn't one of those "I know what I got" issues.

Good luck. If you need any more insight into '31 Chryslers, I just wrapped up a mechanical restoration on a CM6 sedan. Feel free to ping me.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 11:11 AM, Vance C said:

There's a 1931 Chrysler 2 door convertible for sale near me. I haven't taken the 2 hour trip to see it yet but would like some advice on this model. I have a few photos and the seller says it drives. That's all I know right now so IF: it isn't rotten with rust and starts, stops and drives reasonable well what would you consider a reasonable price for it? What do I need to look out for on this particular model? Here's a photo showing the car for sale and on the right are restored cars. Thanks in advance.
Vance

All Cars.jpg

First thing to learn is that it is a 1931 Plymouth PA. NOT a Chrysler. I see you edited your post.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Take an inventory of missing or broken parts. Headlamp lens are wrong or broken on the car availability?? I had a 31 Pa Plymouth 45 years ago and headlamps lens were not plentiful then. Hubcaps - condition of face - dented/torn?

To replate this car ( bumpers, shell, headlamps and bar will not be cheap. minimum I am guessing 6 to 7 grand. the car has cast rubber engine mounts one at the front one at the rear, these have to be replaced with new rubber that is cast to their mounting brackets. If the rear one has flattened out ( which it has) you will find the car hard to shift. Great cars! but also see if you can fit comfortably behind the wheel - not built for people with long legs!

Big difference between a Chrysler and a Plymouth - Plymouth was a 4 cylinder.................

• Like 5

13 hours ago, keiser31 said:

First thing to learn is that it is a 1931 Plymouth PA. NOT a Chrysler.

That makes a BIG difference in value. Although the lesser value Plymouth is probably easier to get needed parts for it, and cheaper to restore. So it is a double edged sword.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the great info. The guy is asking $8,500 for it and if it's in decent condition that seems like a great price to me. It's in San Diego, CA and is listed on Facebook Marketplace. The seller has given me his phone number although I haven't had a conversation with the him yet. Truth be told, money is tight so I'm not really able to buy another car right now, although I never stop following Craigslist and Marketplace because I am obsessed with old cars (I'm sure you know). If any of you guys is interested let me know. I would love to see it be rescued.
Vance 

Please change title to Plymouth. As for the one for sale, regrettably there are hot rodders who will happily pay $4K-$6K just for the sheet metal. That means anyone interested in buying the car to restore is paying a premium above this. Having said this, it is a Convertible which most restorers prefer to start with, and appears complete. $10K-$15K in mechanical refreshing would make for a nice survivor. A full restoration, perhaps add another 50K.

• Like 4

• Vance C changed the title to Advice wanted 31 Plymouth Convertible Coupe

None of the pictures are close enough to show rotten door bottoms or the like. Except for the photo of the rumble seat. That's pretty bad.

Here's the Marketplace ad image.png.b4be0160354a38d6d99a2181b7ae8715.png

If you want to contact the seller here is his phone number:

619-251-5899

I would add a couple things being into early Plymouth's since a young Man with my Dad, a lot of Parts do Interchange with other Chrysler cars certain models and Years, you can still get most engine things once you find that guy who has 5 blocks and three complete motors and you become good friends, that being said with time you can find most everything.The ad says it's been For Sale for 21 weeks I would say if you like it and want it start out after you go down and look at it with a offer of around 4800-5500 worst he can say is No and you go get a Nice Dinner and go home.

Cheers and Good Luck

• Like 3

A big part of the equation is do you want an old car for:  Do you want to...

A:  Work on it and learn, and then maybe drive it later on. 

B:  Drive it and work on it when it needs some maintenance.

C. Not work on it.

If  A, I like the look of this one (knowing nothing about it), if as you say, it's not rotted out.  It beats sitting in an easy chair watching soaps.

If  B, it would be cheaper in the long run to spend the money on a good running car.

If C, buy a Kia.

I like dragging an old thing back from the dead but sometimes it's nice just to go for a drive.

42 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

I would add a couple things being into early Plymouth's since a young Man with my Dad, a lot of Parts do Interchange with other Chrysler cars certain models and Years, you can still get most engine things once you find that guy who has 5 blocks and three complete motors and you become good friends, that being said with time you can find most everything.The ad says it's been For Sale for 21 weeks I would say if you like it and want it start out after you go down and look at it with a offer of around 4800-5500 worst he can say is No and you go get a Nice Dinner and go home.

Cheers and Good Luck

I decided I cannot take on another car project so I'm gonna pass.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JMAV8FORD said:

The car for sale is a cabriolet and the green car for reference is a roadster.  Big difference in price and value.

What is the difference between a cabriolet and a roadster? The owner listed it as a 31 Plymouth convertible coupe so what exactly is it? Thanks

2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

A big part of the equation is do you want an old car for:  Do you want to...

A:  Work on it and learn, and then maybe drive it later on. 

B:  Drive it and work on it when it needs some maintenance.

C. Not work on it.

If  A, I like the look of this one (knowing nothing about it), if as you say, it's not rotted out.  It beats sitting in an easy chair watching soaps.

If  B, it would be cheaper in the long run to spend the money on a good running car.

If C, buy a Kia.

I like dragging an old thing back from the dead but sometimes it's nice just to go for a drive.

I grew up restoring antique furniture and I think that's why I keep buying very rough classic cars and restoring them and breaking even when I sell them. 9 cars later and I'm here looking at a car that would be the exact same story if I were to buy it. I just love scraping off crud and polishing chrome and putting a new coat of paint on a car. I am trying to give up this habit. I hope someone here will check out the car so that I can enjoy vicariously the story of this one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vance C said:

... I just love scraping off crud and polishing chrome and putting a new coat of paint on a car. I am trying to give up this habit...

Well I hope you don't give it up entirely, even if you pass on this one, another car saved is always a good thing. 

• Like 1

Very wise words and advice here , especially from The Handleman - I knew his Dad as well back in the 1960s as we both were in the Plymouth 4 Cylinder Owners Club  ( yes it evolved into the 4 & 6 Cylinder Owners Club then the Plymouth Club and now they accept cars that were new in the showroom when I was in the club in my teens)

Vance C.

One of the things about the 31 Plymouth & Chrysler cars that makes the popular is the low profile of their bodies.    Other makes of that  vintage were taller.    Like the Model A Ford and the Confederate Chevrolet,   Chrysler cars were ahead in many ways at that time.

Keep looking, you'll find something worth the effort;   Chrysler products also had all steel bodies ahead of the others as 

well as hydraulic brakes.    Buy the best thing you find and avoid the junkers.  (I think this one was junk)  (To many missing parts)

Edited by Paul Dobbin
reposition text (see edit history)
  • Like 1