'76 AMC Pacer - Tune up help - is this a dwell meter?

jim1941

After watching youtube instructional videos, I'm going to try and do my own tune up on a 258 c.i. AMC 6 cylinder engine. I found this meter in storage (see photo's)  Is it a dwell AND if yes, what setting should I put it on after attaching to the coil?   I'll also be shopping for a used timing light.  fyi, parts on order: plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor, points, condenser.  Jim

IMG_0182.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

I know that my 73 Dodge Dart had electronic ignition.  That was the first year for it I think.  Out of curiousity, I looked on the web for tach/dwell meters and couldn't find any at HF or Amazon, and the only ones I did find were used ones on Ebay.  But a tach/dwell meter looks something like this:  

dwell.jpg

• Like 1

If your car has electronic ignition - which I think everyone had by 1976 - there won't be any points or condenser to replace. And you don't replace the cap or plug wires unless they are worn out. Which they may be by now, on the other hand, they may have been replaced or may still be good.

Is there any chance of getting an experienced mechanic to help out? I suspect this is the first time you tried anything like this?

Later... did a little checking, apparently they used a Prestolite electronic ignition in 1976. From 1977 on they used a Motorcraft distributor.

You might find some better information here, on the AMC bulletin board https://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html?SID=929-37b761f7874fc9532z25757662037

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yup. Ohmmeter. It won't do what you're looking for but a cool piece in it's own right.

You can use it, however, to check resistance on your spark plug wires by setting it on the 1k scale. If total resistance is less than 10,000 ohms per foot of plug wire length, for example 20,000 ohms on a 2 foot length of wire, you should be ok. More than that, replacement is in order.

Word to the wise. If that meter isn't used frequently, remove that Duracell while it's not in use. Otherwise you'll find acid damage where the Duracell has leaked. They're notorious for it. I have a Hermle quartz electronic clock that specifies Duracell batteries only (in truth it won't run correctly with anything else, I've tried) and I have learned to replace its batteries yearly.

• Like 1

Something like this is what you need. They're all over ebay and other sites, in all price ranges. There's not much to go wrong in them; they're just obsolete for "modern" computer controlled cars is why you see so many for sale. Same with timing lights.

It will measure: RPM, dwell on a points distributor, volts, ohms and amps. It's powered off the vehicle's 12v battery. Handy thing for an old car owner.

Make sure it has all the cables and the instruction manual.

s-l1200.webp

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!  My meter is not for this job.  I've checked timing and tuned up my other car a Model A Ford but never any car newer.  It's getting harder and harder to find auto service shops with experienced people I can trust.  That's what led me to doing it myself but I will proceed very carefully.  Thanks again.  Jim

• Like 1

Keep after it, Jim.  As mentioned, the correct tools are available very reasonably on eBay, and this is not that difficult to learn.  Even the shops that say they can do it these days — many of them I don’t trust to do it correctly.

On 12/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, rocketraider said:

Something like this is what you need. They're all over ebay and other sites, in all price ranges. There's not much to go wrong in them; they're just obsolete for "modern" computer controlled cars is why you see so many for sale. Same with timing lights.

It will measure: RPM, dwell on a points distributor, volts, ohms and amps. It's powered off the vehicle's 12v battery. Handy thing for an old car owner.

Make sure it has all the cables and the instruction manual.

s-l1200.webp

I have that exact unit, bought it in nearly new condition of ebay years ago. Works a treat! Very handy!