Car in the woods (added picture)

chuck629

IMG_20231123_132415131.jpg.46a5aaedd14d7329d0357315e770abc0.jpg******sorry. I could have done a better job wording that. What I meant to say is I was just thinking of removing the Chrome  pieces from the car (for resale). Not removing the car from the woods itself. 

Up at my in-laws Farm property there is a vintage Plymouth special deluxe inline 6. There seems to be a lot of chrome that's actually still in really nice shape. I would think I could get it carefully removed. I wondered if you car guys thought it would be worth the bother. Would it have much resale value? I would appreciate any help/opinions.

Happy thanksgiving. Thanks

IMG_20231123_132354044.jpg

Edited by chuck629 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, chuck629 said:

I would think I could get it carefully removed. I wondered if you car guys thought it would be worth the bother. Would it have much resale value? I would appreciate any help/opinions.

Here's a member who has been practically trying to give away his Plymouths for months. I really doubt it's worth your time to mess with the one you found.  Let nature claim it where it sits or call a scrapper (who may or may not even want it).

• Thanks 1

And I'm sorry I should have been clearer in the way I worded it. I didn't mean removing the car itself from where it sits I meant removing the Chrome trim pieces from the car to sell. 

I do appreciate  the answers very much. That was helpful.  

• Like 1

I recommend to leave the pieces on the car.

You will have a hard time selling them for penny's. If you strip the car, then you will have destroyed anyone's chance to restore it in the future.

Every car that is to be restored need at least one thing really good shape in order to kindle their sprit.

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• chuck629 changed the title to Car in the woods (added picture)

Back in the day I was working on a 1954 Plymouth project and had a gray 1954 Savoy 4-door sedan parts car. I used the Savoy engine & trans for my Belvedere project and the rest of the car was pretty much intact. It was almost Fall Hershey time and a friend had an extra swap meet space he wasn't using in the old White (airport) Field. He convinced me to part the old Plymouth out and take a truckload of stuff over to Hershey to sell. It seemed like a good idea as it was close by, I was going to Hershey anyway, I could get the parts into the hands of the people that needed them and put a few bucks in my pocket as well. After all it was a huge swap meet and the parts would get great exposure with thousands of people walking by the space. I spent the next few days parting the car out and loading the truck. I made a 1954 PLYMOUTH PARTS sign and priced everything very reasonably hoping everything would get sold. Doors, lids, radiator $25 each, bumpers $10, stuff like air cleaner, carb, grille, trim pieces, radio $5-$10 each. Box lots with smaller parts, hubcaps, handles, switches etc $1. ......Well, long story short, after three days at Hershey I didn't sell a single thing even though his space was on a main aisle in a well-travelled area. I knew I wasn't selling anything rare or exotic like Cadillac, Packard or Lincoln parts but I expected to sell SOMETHING but it just didn't happen. Needless to say, save for a box or two of the smaller items, the Plymouth parts were scrapped and didn't make it back home. Maybe things would be different today but I still don't think parting out a common car like this would really be worth the time & effort. So I have to ask what's your time worth?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When one thinks about the real costs of selling things with flea market spaces, travel, or Ebay/online fees, shipping costs, and fussy buyers looking for fly specks some guys will just make wall decorations of the old shiny stuff.

What's a wall hanging worth?

IMG_0321.JPG.2d7fa25ebc98d1e5f30b080a7bf307dc.JPG

On 11/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

The sad thing about old Mopars is they really don’t have a high value. The good thing about Mopars is that they really don’t have a high value.

I agree, but would modify your statement to:  The sad thing about old Mopars is they really don’t have a high value. The good thing about Mopars is that they really don’t have a high cost resale.

• Like 1