brake shoes 63 - 65

RivNut

I put these (and equivalent rear) onto my '63.  Did not machine drums as they looked very good.

No particular reason for selecting this brand; just what Rockauto had.

Initially I was disappointed with the brake performance, but they have improved significantly with bedding in.  I am now pleased with them.

image.png.b149ceefdf19527406447f4ed21a48c9.png

• Like 1

In the past I'd use Raybestos brake parts if I had a choice.  These days, I don't know whether there's any significant difference among brands.  If like other parts, probably 4 or 5 brands all manufactured at the same factory...

Or . . . multiple brands owned by the same financial entity, yet (hopefully) operating independently and hitting different customer demographics and price points.

Another consideration is the same facility making the different brands, to the specs of each particular brand (what the customer wants to pay for), in each brand's respective packaging.

Since about 1968 or so, there have been federal brake performance specs, as to pedal pressure maximum limits for a particular level of stopping power or brake line pressure.  What happens past that is up to the people/vendors who make the OEM and replacement brake parts.  On each item of brake friction material, there is the "Edge Code", which identifies the friction manufacturer (number code), its production date, plus hot and cold brake performance levels (letters, A - F. or so, with higher letters being better).  Which means an auto supply house brand can have the same performance levels as a higher-priced brand, with no criteria of which might last the longest or stop the quietest.

Safe Holidays to ALL!

NTX5467

The very very best is , of course, *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** the softest, smooooothest, braking surface known to mankind… and , as a result, does not rip up brake drums to smithereens….

Now outlawed to manufacture for 31 years due to Asbestos Laws , it has been increasingly difficult to find…. For 20 years, companies’ R & D departments ( Research & Development) attempted to duplicate the qualities of *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** , but couldn’t and just gave up….

So, the “ regular “ world has to sell , the current Chineseum , that is all THEY can do, and THEY don’t care…..

The Great News is that I currently have a few sets ( ONLY ) of *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** —- P.M. me, if interested…. Craig….

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, EmTee said:

In the past I'd use Raybestos brake parts if I had a choice.  These days, I don't know whether there's any significant difference among brands.  If like other parts, probably 4 or 5 brands all manufactured at the same factory...

What puzzles me is why dont American importers of aftermarket parts write up specifications? Seems like a manufacturer of brake parts could very well follow specific customer specifications.

Turbinator

Willis (NTX5467) gave you clues to the answer.......  lining material is tested and graded by SAE  

If they give a lifetime warranty it is a harder lining that will last but has a lower coefficient of friction.   They will last a long time but not stop as good.

Like car tires.... a harder rubber compound will last a long time but will not be that good in the rain.  

Another thing to consider............. have you noticed all the (high performance) disc brake rotors that are drilled and/or have grooves in them ... they are there to 

get the gasses out as the brakes heat up.    Same thing happens on drum brakes....  you have probably seen high performance drum brake shoes and the 

friction material may be in 3-4 sections with gaps between them.    As the brakes heat up, the friction material degasses and it can form a 

cushion between the drum and friction material.      A cheap and easy improvement is to grind a groove across the middle of new shoe friction material.

Think of it a free insurance against brake fade. 

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

f they give a lifetime warranty it is a harder lining that will last but has a lower coefficient of friction. 

That coefficient of friction is tested with a durometer that measures deformation of the material. I have never seen anyone do durometer testing that compares aged friction material to fresh. From my own experience I think age, possibly natural outgassing of compounds, tends to decrease braking ability of the material. It is a hard concept for some to accept when their car has like new lining but doesn't stop well.

My brake lining supplier of over 35 years has always provided three levels of non-asbestos material that have performed quite well for me.

several years ago, I installed Carbon Kevlar brake shoes on a 65 I had along with relined aluminum finned drums and the car actually stopped TOO well.  It was AMAZING. Carbotech did the whole procedure (reline drums and match the shoes)

5 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Hey Ed / RivNut,

I thought you valued your cars ?!?!

Two weeks ago --- and you disappeared.... Did you just get the Chineseum garbage of today's world because it is easy to do and all over the place ?!?!

Didn’t look at the box to see where they came from. 

22 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

If they give a lifetime warranty it is a harder lining that will last but has a lower coefficient of friction. 

...and increases wear on the drum.  How close are your aluminum drums to their maximum specified diameter?  Shoes are easily replaced; 60 year-old drums, not so easy...

Are all Riviera - full sized Buick rear brake drums the same except for the diameter of the center hole (63/64 vs 65/70?)  I can get my hands on a nice set of 1970 rear drums. If I can machine the center hole to the diameter of the earlier drums, can I use them on my 64?