1975 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door hardtop $8500 Wow!

If it's rust-free, it looks like an excellent car.  Today,

there are far more 1975 Pontiac Grand Ville convertibles

than this Bonneville 4-door hardtop, since convertibles

were saved.

For the record, it has 82,500 miles and is located in

Mandelia, Minnesota, according to the ad.  Thank you 

for sharing this find, Jake.

• Thanks 1

Nice. Another of those cars that used to be everywhere. Rally II dress it up nicely.

I think two things are hurting sale of this car. One, as nice and fairly priced as it is, most people just won't go for four-doors. Two, even though I personally think the big 70s Pontiacs were the most gracefully styled of all the GM Divisions, too many people look at the Fed bumpers and the catalytic converter and immediately write them off.

That's alright. Gives those of us who do appreciate them a better deal on a nice car.

• Like 4

Why I wouldn’t even consider it?

Any 1975 and newer car in California requires an every other year smog test.  There’s no avoiding it.  And it’s a sniffer test on a dynamometer!

Missing some unobtainable vacuum valve? Automatic failure, no exemptions.  

Getting a title in California is easy, passing a smog test is nearly impossible.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, m-mman said:

Any 1975 and newer car in California requires an every other year smog test.  

California definitely has its beautiful aspects.

For antique cars, though, the atmosphere is much

more encouraging in Pennsylvania, and the hobby thrives:

---No smog tests.

---No inspections, since antique cars are driven comparatively

few miles and owners tend to be careful of their cars.

---Permanent registration, about $75 for life or as long as you keep the car.

I'm very grateful, since some of my cars are 1975 and up

and I especially like that era.

• Like 3

Other states may be “First in Flight” or “First in Freedom” California was first in environmental law.  

We predated the federal EPA!

This is why California is legally allowed to set higher standards than the 49 other states and the feds have to accept them.  This is why when the CA/49 state emission values were standardized, the EPA let CA lead and adopted our values. . .

After the recent election I wonder how long we in Virginia have until the state legislature forces us back into California emissions standards. Our current governor was making headway toward getting us out of that agreement. Even though state law currently exempts antique/YOM licensed vehicles from emissions inspections, that could still bode badly for 75-later collector cars in the Commonwealth if someone gets ambitious.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

California definitely has its beautiful aspects.

For antique cars, though, the atmosphere is much

more encouraging in Pennsylvania, and the hobby thrives:

---No smog tests.

---No inspections, since antique cars are driven comparatively

few miles and owners tend to be careful of their cars.

---Permanent registration, about $75 for life or as long as you keep the car.

I'm very grateful, since some of my cars are 1975 and up

and I especially like that era.

1975 and earlier are not subject to smog tests in California, and NO vehicle is subject to annual safety inspections (unfortunately...).  Registration is about $130/yr per car including the flat $2 ad valorem on Horseless Carriage and Historic Vehicle plates.

I don't need or use anti-freeze or home air conditioning.  My summers are 75 degrees with no unpleasant humidity, and coldest winters are 35 degrees in the morning.  If I want snow, it's 2-3 hours away but I don't have to shovel.  There is a cost for that.  When I graduated HS in 1960, Calif's population was just breaking 9 million; now it's 39.3M.  So in my adult lifetime, there has been a 450% increase.  In 1980, pop was 22M--a very good time.  Y'all come and visit, but please don't move here!  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I browse Craigslist for cars, I put "1975" as the top year. Why? For the reasons above.

1976-1999 cars in California have extensive bi-annual dyno smog tests. These are not just tailpipe sniffer tests, but full examination of original smog devices, hoses, equipment, etc. If you've modified or put another engine in the car- expect a fail.

2000 and up, an easier time; obd reader, no dyno. Still an engine inspection.
That '76-'99 group are the collectible pariahs. I had a '76 240Z... if it had been a '75, I would have kept it. I didn't want the hassle of Jetronic fuel injection, smog pumps and hoses, and the tough smog check. 

Diesels were for a long time smog exempt, but now, iirc, '86 and earlier are exempt. 
Years ago, cars from 1955 up required smog checks, and were retrofitted with an odd vacuum NOX device on the upper radiator hose. It's rare to see one of those today.

BTW- this Pontiac is a '75, and smog exempt in California.

Edited by Sal Hepatica
Addendum (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

He is talking about California.

Yep, specifically the East Bay coastal area across from San Francisco.  We all enjoy certain aspects, weather and otherwise, of our respective domiciles, and certainly there are trade-offs for cost of living, weather, and other amenities which include how old-car-friendly the local and state/provincial governments may be.

• Thanks 1

Thank you George, wise advice and observations. No place is perfect - there are all things that have to be considered , no area is perfect in all respects. Same as old cars , but we cope with what we have and are lucky to do so , regarding the cars we love - it is what makes us happy deep down inside. The real value of "what's it worth" for property, location or the cars is how good we feel at the end of the day or a glance of our situation - especially with the vehicles. Some things are just priceless that create fond memories we can recall at will.  Yes I am a sentimental sap.....................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grimy said:

don't need or use anti-freeze

Grimy, I’ll get parochial now but it can rarely freeze in Walnut Creek overnight in the winter. So I assume you always have your cars in a garage and don’t go to Walnut Creek for an overnight tour in the winter. My San Carlos radiator guy advised using straight water after flushing the system and then after a few weeks of driving replace half the water with pure antifreeze. My car is in San Francisco in a garage and I don’t anticipate  ever leaving it outside overnight.  So should I just leave the 100% water in it? Thank you from the other side of the bay. 

14 minutes ago, Shootey said:

Grimy, I’ll get parochial now but it can rarely freeze in Walnut Creek overnight in the winter. So I assume you always have your cars in a garage and don’t go to Walnut Creek for an overnight tour in the winter. My San Carlos radiator guy advised using straight water after flushing the system and then after a few weeks of driving replace half the water with pure antifreeze. My car is in San Francisco in a garage and I don’t anticipate  ever leaving it outside overnight.  So should I just leave the 100% water in it? Thank you from the other side of the bay. 

I'm in San Leandro and should have mentioned that 10 miles east across the hills (Orinda, Lafayette, WC) it's at least 10* hotter in summer and 10* colder in winter.  My cars are garaged and even the uninsulated garage never gets below 40.  The work garage is insulated and never drops below 55.  I do carry EG antifreeze in trailer (last used at Truckee in mid-Oct 2019) and have some on hand at home for when temps are forecast for below freezing, but add only enough to cover that below freezing temp + a margin of safety.  We need to use a radiator additive for anti-corrosion and water pump lube.  For 20 years I've been using Pencool (formerly Nalcool 25-30 yrs ago), a big rig additive that also has anti-cavitation qualities.  Initial dose is 1 oz per quart of cooling system capacity.  Pencool "2000" is for no-antifreeze, Pencool "3000" is for using any amount of antifreeze.  There's also a "4000" now for more modern cooling systems.  I can't find it locally so buy from Amazon.  I find the 64-oz jug is most convenient for me, probably $25 or so these days.

I try to avoid antifreeze or minimize its concentration because (1) it doesn't take heat off as well as plain water and (2) unless it's low-silicate it will foam in unpressurized systems, displacing water out the overflow tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a cool "Malaise Era" land yacht fairly priced that I would like to have..., but because I'm living in the frozen tundra of S-W Ontario Canada and our Canadian dollar is sitting at around .77 cents to the USA dollar it's not going to happen.

The other nuance about these mid 70's GM cars that kind of bugs me is the down graded materials used on the trim. Such as cheap anodized window and side trim instead of the stainless steel used on the earlier models. Some of the plastic interior panels also degraded rapidly. The exterior urethane bumper fillers were another common sore spot. 

I had one back in the day when they were $500 used cars and loved it. Went to Florida and back several times and the only issue ever encountered was a separated belt on a tire. I'm trying to remember why I sold it...

• Like 1

Now down to $7500 and the son of the owner says "make any offer!" 

We always talk price in this hobby, and that is understandable in a sense.  But if someone interested in the AACA and enjoying the many benefits of this hobby placed $5,000 in front of the son, he would say "deal!"  

And with that, membership in the AACA costs what?  $35 or $40 a year?  

This car is old, and from a past time that I personally enjoyed.  Just preserve it, pay it off then buy another and pretty soon you have a nice 3-4car collection.   NOT an expensive hobby!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JACK M said:

We think this way in Oregon as well.

I remember bumper stickers "Do not Californicate Oregon"

I remember those 1970s stickers too, Jack, and wishing I could cover my Calif license plate or add a temporary sticker reading "Just Visiting."  🙂

• Haha 2