The rumor mill - Hershey dates

StanleyRegister

Just read the Speedster and the piece about the rumor mill on Hershey's future.  There were lots of solid assurances there, the ones that we've heard addressing the rumors in the past.  But there was nothing touching on what has actually given the rumor mill so much of its power. 

For the first time in a lot of people's memory, the dates for Hershey events are known only two years into the future, instead of three.  (The wooden nickel shows them.)  This doesn't seem to align with HER Co. being as solidly supportive as they have been up until now.

I think the rumor mill would just die away by itself if the reason for the missing third year date was better understood.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to The rumor mill - Hershey dates

FROM SPEEDSTER:

Please Help us Stop the Hershey Rumor Mill

By Steve Moskowitz, AACA National CEO, aaca1@aaca.org

It seems no matter what we say, rumors about the Hershey event continue to be spread by those who do not have all the facts. 

The first rumor we need to set aside is that the car show, flea market and car corral are NOT ending in two years. Hershey Entertainment & Resorts (HE&R) has confirmed that the current arrangement is working well, and we expect to have this great event for many years to come, which includes keeping our Friday car show. 

Secondly, any suggestion of moving the event to another location is FALSE. It is not happening. 

Please folks, help us squash these rumors as they damage the Hershey Region, AACA National and HE&R. The Hershey Region’s leadership has had direct contact with HE&R and their commitment to us is unwavering.

• Like 7

We've beat this horse to death!!!  Go have a Scotch and count the days until next year like everyone else.

Terry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Let the officers, staff, the Hershey region get this sorted - don't fret about something you can't help out on , you have competent people doing their very best to deal with this for decades! they are grooming other people to help out as well. Read what West , Steven Rossi, and Steve Moskowitz have stated - they spend more time trying to quell the rumor mill then working on the event! People just seem to want to remember and think about the worst - like "Hershey was a big mud puddle" yes it was for a few days a generation ago............... think and read about the camaraderie that has taken place- the combined AACA and SAH literature sale and author's book signing was totally outstanding this year !  It doesn't get much better then that.  I hope this continues forever. ( yes, I am a former SAH VP, Board member, Editor of their Journal - and even with those "lofty"  credentials I still have a few people there that talk to me - sometimes , maybe 🙃 🤩 )

Walt

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Well, we do not believe that turning a blind eye to rumors is good for our future. Some rumors have been started maliciously others just have grown organically.  They do a lot of damage.  The explanation has been out from the Hershey Region about the nickels.  It was the fall meet's chairman who made the decision to only list two dates. 

HE&R has a business to run and they answer to a board of directors who have a fiduciary responsibility to maintain profits that go to fund the Milton Hershey School system.  They are not the enemy but at times have made decisions we do not like but we have to understand where they are coming from.

Yes, we have always been given the first FULL week in October as our date for the event.  No discussions about changing them.

• Thanks 2

I guess I'm late to the party or have missed something here, but...

The "rumor mill" = a wooden nickel with two years printed on it instead of three? Seriously?!? That's at the heart of the rumor mill?  Maybe I shouldn't find anything funny about it, but that just cracks me up.

Reading over the rest of this thread, the wooden nickel design choice has been explained and the statement that went out in the Speedster is pretty clear, at least to me, regarding the future of Hershey. Best way to shut down the rumor mill is to offer facts - the AACA has done just that - not sure what more really needs to be said about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone remember back in the late '90's when they started building the new Giant Center. The rumor was that "It's the end of Hershey", "They will never let us erect a swap meet in their parking lot", They are going to limit it to half the size it is now", "It's only going to be the swap meet and no car show". Well, that was over 10 years ago and HERSHEY is still going strong. Just make your reservations for next year and enjoy your holiday's!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1