MASCOTS & hood ornaments - pre war WWII

There are several ‘Orange’ counties in the U.S. Not sure which one this would have come from, perhaps California? I found this in an antique shop - I think - in SoCal a few years ago. Same design both sides.  Anyone know more about this one?

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

• Like 3

Is the dogbone cap itself marked as Boyce or just the motometer? I think the doggone cap is a generic item. The Boyce Motometers did not come already mounted. They were boxed and sold fir whatever application was desired, being mounted on owner supplied caps. Nice piece and a great discovery.

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Is the dogbone cap itself marked as Boyce or just the motometer? I think the doggone cap is a generic item. The Boyce Motometers did not come already mounted. They were boxed and sold fir whatever application was desired, being mounted on owner supplied caps. Nice piece and a great discovery.

Terry

@Terry Bond the dog bone had this knock-out plug still attached.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. While the cap was not made by Boyce it was sold for the purpose of using the motometer with it if desired. Nice item. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a lovely German Silver, I think, flip top from the side opening rad cap.  I would like to identify the make and model.  Originally it had the Boyce cover plate as posted above.  I've installed a working motometer, not Boyce, with a metal front cover.  The backside is printed on yellowish paper.  No identification on the Motometer either.  I should say on the rad cap wings it had a male threaded pot metal system.  I cut that off and retreaded it to fit my '15 McLaughlin, it also fits my '13 Buick.  Any thoughts?  Both pieces are original finish, unrestored.  Gary

DSC_5431k.jpg

• Like 5

Gary, that looks really really great ! thanks for sharing. Everyone thinks Boyce when they think motor meters but there were others as well and many not marked with the manufacturers name nor location they were made.  There were some really interesting detailed motor meters made with the viewing glass hidden at the back part and the casting very highly detailed figures.

• Like 1

Bazin made some wonderful looking mascots! Your Swallow is amazing.

My wife actually allows this one to be in our bedroom, which is unusual as only a few are allowed outside my “junk room”. He’s named “Amour Frileux” which roughly translates to chilly love. 
IMG_1470.jpeg.abe12023a7c41e61140eb12d9eaa9c44.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 9:00 AM, Walt G said:

Here is another one of the caps I bought at Hershey this year…

BIRDmotometerFRONT.jpg

Walt,

One of these just showed up on eBay and it is still with the box so now you have a positive ID for it! A Boyce Motometer Aristocrat Line-O-Vision, which is quite the mouthful.

IMG_1848.jpeg

Edited by TheMoneyPit (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here’s one that I’ve had for years. Restored. Bought it from a guy that used to come to meets in the Boston area. He was from Quebec. He had a lot of cool stuff. 

The back is marked “Copyright V Aronson”. Under the wooden base it’s written 1917-1919.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, this definitely seems to be the right crowd for this question. The Rolls Royce "Flying Lady" was made in several sizes, does anyone know what size would be the correct size for a Silver Ghost?

My reason for asking is for an "old fashioned" experiment.  -I have a poorly cast copy of that figurine, and at that it was mistreated, anyway, I am a little skilled at sculpting techniques, and I think I can take my copy and make her more accurate. This copy will be an amalgam of aluminum, body filler, clay and epoxy. Primed. And additional surfacing to create the finer details, and of course a RTV mold.

The RTV mold however will be diluted 30% with Mineral Spirits, the "Pattern" is removed after the rubber sets, and that is set aside for a few weeks.

The solvent evaporates away, and the mold shrinks. About 15 to 20%. Recast into that mold and then another "Shrinking mold" is made, rinse repeat. . . . 

At any point as the molds are shrinking, casting can be made to judge the progress, and examine the surface details.

It is slow going and YES, and computer files probably exist somewhere, or a proper scan could be made to an existing original, to create a figure of any size.

But where's the fun in that?

If anyone could answer this query, I'd be grateful. 

-Don

PS, I have a Model A Quail in progress, and this technique does work, -it's just really slow!

On 2/24/2024 at 1:27 PM, AdamInNH said:

image.jpg

Very interesting mascot… is it the cap that is bulged up with a ball on it, or is it different than my earlier one???

IMG_1878.jpeg.609d20f82fb9cd8fc2470eae772b24b5.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg.53770845eac1549c25dabdffb4b261b1.jpeg

These are the two styles I know of, the earlier ones are a white metal and numbered, the latter style is brass and has a copyright symbol on the back. If the base on your mascot is different it would be a third variant.

It’s been a very long time (the early 1980’s ??) that a dealer at a small flea market in Amherst NH had gotten into a large stash of NOS brass style eagles and the radiator badges. As I recall he had more than 25 of each but the boxes were all ruined. I bought both a mascot and a badge but I didn’t think to invest in a couple more. It was a shame that the boxes didn’t survive.

On 2/24/2024 at 2:48 PM, Mr. Don said:

Hello, this definitely seems to be the right crowd for this question. The Rolls Royce "Flying Lady" was made in several sizes, does anyone know what size would be the correct size for a Silver Ghost?

An impossible question to answer without more information… the Silver Ghost as a model was made for about 20 years and the size of the mascot changed significantly over those years. The cars made in Springfield had special mascots for American production. Too many variables Mr. Don 

So, what year did you want to copy? British or the American made cars? 

This one is an American Phantom 1 which was used from 1926-31 and stands 6-1/2” tall without the cap or base.

IMG_1879.jpeg

Everything (and more) you need to know about the famous Rolls Royce "Spirit of Ecstasy" (Flying Lady) mascot.  While this doesn't answer your technical questions about materials and methods in recreating one, my advice is to first get permission to do so.  I believe the design is copyright. 

https://rroc.org.au/wiki/images/6/6d/SpiritOfEcstasyPart4-by-BGillings.pdf

Terry

Wow! I'm sorry for redirecting this thread!  -and WOW!!! 

I knew there were several sizes, but I had no idea how many! 

Thanks guys!

I have some research to do.

Again thanks! -Don

• 1 month later...

Here is ( I think - Steve Moskowitz can you chime in here and confirm?  ) a 1933 Oldsmobile hood 0rnament. Die cast chrome plated. 4 1/2 high 10 1/2 long. And it just screams at me "FRAGILE" .

I am amazed that something like this has survived without being broken or seeing metal fatigue from age and show cracks . Just to remove it from the shell on the car one had to be careful.

IMG_3381.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Here is ( I think - Steve Moskowitz can you chime in here and confirm?  ) a 1933 Oldsmobile hood 0rnament. Die cast chrome plated. 4 1/2 high 10 1/2 long. And it just screams at me "FRAGILE" .

I am amazed that something like this has survived without being broken or seeing metal fatigue from age and show cracks . Just to remove it from the shell on the car one had to be careful.

IMG_3381.jpg

Amazing find, '33 was still prime time for pot metal disease.

Walt, I can't add to the ornament but 1933 Oldsmobiles are partially responsible for my being involved in the old car hobby.  You see, my grade 7 and 8 home room teacher was restoring one at the time and he introduced me to this thing called "Hershey" - Ironically he could never go while he was teaching.  In those years (1980-82) his daily driver was a Covair so you can tell the kind of guy that he was.  So between my father and he, here I am on the Forum!

Don

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 3macboys said:

my grade 7 and 8 home room teacher was restoring one at the time and he introduced me to this thing called "Hershey" - Ironically he could never go while he was teaching. 

When I was teaching I had the same problem - getting the time off to go to Hershey. I talked to the administration and told them I have over 80 sick and personal days saved up I never used and probably won't - I need 3 days in October each year to go to Pa. and of course it would always coincide with a holiday the next Monday that the school was closed. I told them that they could take 2 days for each one day I wanted to use. It all eventually worked out. Hershey was more then just a car show/flea market I was heavily involved with the Society of Automotive Historians ( on their national board, as Vice President, as Editor of their Journal etc)  and had meetings to attend for that as well because it would be the one time of the year most of the board members from all over North America could get together in person.

Glad you got introduced to "Hershey" for many of us it is an annual recharge of our spirits to be there, it is now for my son for the last 30 years too.

• Like 3