I got a response to my WTB ad for an obscure part, but...?

marcapra

Yesterday, I put a Want to buy ad in the Chrysler section of the ads for a pretty obscure part, the left front fender to radiator frame bracket.  About the only way someone would have this part is if they had an S10 or S11 42-49 Desoto parts car.  So today I got an email from someone named Amusa telling me to email someone named Lawrence Baker because "he has the part in good condition".  It sounded fishy to me because why would someone be contacting me for someone else, and how would they know this guy had an obscure part in good condition?  But just in case it was legit, I emailed the man and asked for a pic of the part.  I don't think I'll get a reply.  I only got this response in an email, and there was no response on the AACA site.  

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

Yesterday, I put a Want to buy ad in the Chrysler section of the ads for a pretty obscure part, the left front fender to radiator frame bracket.  About the only way someone would have this part is if they had an S10 or S11 42-49 Desoto parts car.  So today I got an email from someone named Amusa telling me to email someone named Lawrence Baker because "he has the part in good condition".  It sounded fishy to me because why would someone be contacting me for someone else, and how would they know this guy had an obscure part in good condition?  But just in case it was legit, I emailed the man and asked for a pic of the part.  I don't think I'll get a reply.  I only got this response in an email, and there was no response on the AACA site.  

Scammer. 
You'll probably end up getting another email with a link for  "photos". 

Don't click on it

• Like 3

You may just have gotten lucky and someone may know the person that has the part. I would be ok checking back with them. BUT I would do so with caution. I think you are on the right track with your response. IF they (say) they have the part, I would ask for a picture of them holding it along with a sign that only you know the 'answer' to. i.e. tell them to hold up a piece of paper that says 'Hi Jack' etc. 

There is also about a 98% chance its a scam.

• Like 5

I know a Nigerian prince who will check those things out for me. Really a fake email address that messages my phone. One layer of insulation is not hard to do for small stuff.

There is something about a multiple person online plot to defraud someone in a sale of '42-'48 DeSoto parts that reminds me of the movie where Melissa McCarthy, Tammy, robs the restaurant.

They almost have to be legitimate.

I have the same story. Got a message from Amusa with the same go to this guy idea.

I did that and after several emails in fact agreed to buy the part.

Then I had trouble with PayPal not going thru.

So I PM Amusa (fairly regular on this site) and he assured me that he would recommend the seller as being honest bla bla.

Now this, I may just keep looking for my part.

I already have a pic of the part on my want ad, but it's the right hand bracket.  If he copies that pic, I know it's a scam.  I think I shouldn't have emailed that guy because I know it's a scam by about 99%.  they have not responded to my email, probably because I asked for a pic, and nobody can find pics of this part on the Internet.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these "I have that part" emails come from within prisons.  Great way to pass the time and sometimes make a little cash.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)

Most likely a scam, I rarely post ads anymore because of this type of thing. 

I once had a scammer try to sell me parts using pictures of my own car that was supposedly being parted out, lol. He could get me anything I wanted, I just had to let him know what I was after and his "guy" would speedily remove the parts and send them, after I had paid of course!

• Like 1

I just had a thought.

The part in question was a photo that I saw somewhere else on the web. It was purported to have been taken in Australia. Seemed odd.

I just now asked for some pics to confirm that the second party actually has this part.

We may have just cracked a scammer case. But in many ways, I hope not.

Amusa reads these posts, let's see what he has to say.

Oops, I meant to post this yesterday.

Just now, JACK M said:

I just had a thought.

The part in question was a photo that I saw somewhere else on the web. It was purported to have been taken in Australia. Seemed odd.

I just now asked for some pics to confirm that the second party actually has this part.

We may have just cracked a scammer case. But in many ways, I hope not.

Amusa reads these posts, let's see what he has to say.

I have not heard back from Amusa;s buddy after asking for a better pic.

I do believe both of them lied to me.

The things to avoid are general red flags. Do not kid yourself that criminals are using their real name or place of business. Identities and personal information may belong to people who are not involved and have no idea. Personal info can be scraped from the web just as easily as pictures of parts or cars you do not own. Fake (or stolen) identities can be changed on a whim.

Some common red flags: New account with few posts (red flag). You check the user's post history and most or all responses are to wanted ads claiming to have the needed parts (red flag with blinking red lights on it). All the parts being offered are for a wide variety of makes, models, and eras (red flag with blinking red lights on it and also on fire). Seller wants to take the conversation instantly off of the forum so the administrators can't see it, "email me at xxx@xxx.com" "Call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx" etc. (same as above, but with a loud marching band circling around the burning blinking red flag).

To be fair, there are a few, very few, honorable legitimate sellers on this forum who do that last thing. I don't know why. I guess they just don't get it. In that case though, you should be able to figure out that they are legitimate sellers by googling old threads, and of course their contact info will rarely if ever change over a period of years.

"You should contact my friend (insert random name here) at (random email address or phone number), he has what you need". This one CAN be legitimate, but please know that this is ALSO the hallmark of the most common scam. If someone in the forum is legitimately telling you of a common source for your make model and type of car, they probably told others in the past. Google will reveal old threads with the same forum users recommending the same known good sellers. Despite the possibility of legitimacy in this one, I have to say red flag, blinking red lights, fire, marching band, plus a huge spotlight shining around up in the air.

Next one, excuses why current pictures of the parts (or car) cannot be taken, "I work on an offshore oil rig" has been used so much it has become a meme, but there are plenty of new excuses. For sure the parts or car will not be available for new photos, nor will they be available for inspection by someone local. Maybe they are already "boxed for shipping" :lol:. There is the corollary that you need to send the money to my (insert friend/cousin/ex-wife) in (some other state). To make this one a trifecta, other people are interested and you must send a security deposit (or the purchase price) RIGHT NOW via Western Union or some other money transfer method that offers no recourse in cases of fraud (red flag, blinking red lights, fire, marching band, spotlight, plus a really loud carnival barker with a megaphone).

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I sold a restored Pilot Ray unit 4 years ago through Marketplace. I few months ago, I placed an ad on this forum for Pilot Ray parts. I received an email from a guy wanting to sell me a restored unit. When I asked for a photo, he sent me my photo from 4 years ago saying he just restored it but it doesn’t fit his car. I had a fun few days emailing back and forth before I told him I was on to his scam. It gave me a few chuckles! 

• Like 1