Rt. 66 vs. Lincoln Hwy.

Buick35

When we got our new car six years ago my wife and I decided to drive rt.66 so we went to California following the old hwy. as much as possible. I wonder if anyone on the forum drove the old hwy 30 Lincoln route. I saw it on the way to Hershey and thought that might be quite an adventure.My home town in Illinois is right on that hwy.Now I live in Florida right close to u.s.1. Hmmm,maby someday I'll drive it to Canada?

• Like 1

if you’re considering it, you might want to pick up this book. It’s as much about eating as it is the Lincoln Highway and cars, but I still think you might find it enjoyable if you would even consider a drive down the Lincoln Highway.

Back 
  1. 9187f4Vna+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  2. 516R1iwzi-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  3. 41qY1jRLf9L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
  4. 51aSW3py73L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
  5. 51SJc4+30WL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
  1. 9187f4Vna+L._SS126_.jpg
  2. 516R1iwzi-L._SS126_.jpg
  3. 41qY1jRLf9L._SS126_.jpg
  4. 51aSW3py73L._SS126_.jpg
  5. 51SJc4+30WL._SS126_.jpg

• Like 3

Having driven both routes extensively, I believe you will find the Lincoln Highway experience not nearly as rewarding as Route 66; while the markings and identification are mostly there for the older alignments (eastern states are much better at this; Pennsylvania & Ohio), the nostalgia, old landmarks and general feel for a pre-interstate experience generally are gone.  This is not to discourage you however, there are many, many nuggets of gems to be found along the way. I recommend Brian Butko's book; I used this as well as route maps from the Lincoln Highway Association website:

Lincoln Highway Association

Lincoln Highway Companion: A Guide to America's First Coast-to-Coast Road: Butko, Brian: 9780811735476: Amazon.com: Books

Safe travels and have fun!! 

• Like 2

I’ve driven both over the years, and if I had to choose between one or the other today, I’d probably choose the Lincoln. But both have their charms.

if you are in Florida, you might try the Dixie. That was enjoyable as well.

Edited by Lee H (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I put thousands of miles on both routes before the interstate. Today I enjoy an occasional drive on ‘old thirty’ especially across Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho for a trip down memory lane.

Any trip on 66 just reminds me of heat and dust.

Of course if you’re driving an antique, you don’t have to be reminded of no power steering, no ac, questionable heat, low power, questionable downgrade braking, no wipers on the upgrades, continuously working radio, and etc.etc.

Still, they’re enjoyable memories except for the incredibly narrow, cement, curbed parts, and the narrow bridges, of both routes that are long gone.

28 minutes ago, Jubilee said:

I put thousands of miles on both routes before the interstate. Today I enjoy an occasional drive on ‘old thirty’ especially across Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho for a trip down memory lane.

Any trip on 66 just reminds me of heat and dust.

Of course if you’re driving an antique, you don’t have to be reminded of no power steering, no ac, questionable heat, low power, questionable downgrade braking, no wipers on the upgrades, continuously working radio, and etc.etc.

Still, they’re enjoyable memories except for the incredibly narrow, cement, curbed parts, and the narrow bridges, of both routes that are long gone.

Old US 30 through southern Idaho is a pretty neat drive. A lot of it is still drivable, mostly parallel to the I-84 alignment. You get closer to the river and get to drive by some interesting landmarks like the Thousand Springs. There's also some fascinating remnants of the past that are still there if you know where to look...

IMG_4801.JPG.066ce14d204ce84d1d0a175ae0efc05d.JPG

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve done both.  The Lincoln Highway can be just as fun if you are into finding and following the actual original road.  It’s more of a scavenger hunt than 66.  There are some sections out west that are truly desolate and mystifying.  It’s not nearly as popular or celebrated, but just as much fun, in my opinion.  You get both dynamics of big cities and extreme isolation moreso than 66.

10 hours ago, Lee H said:

I’ve driven both over the years, and if I had to choose between one or the other today, I’d probably choose the Lincoln. But both have their charms.

if you are in Florida, you might try the Dixie. That was enjoyable as well.

Where is the Dixie?

The Old Spanish Trail (OST) Highway is a transcontinental highway running from St. Augustine, Florida to San Diego, California. It runs through Louisiana (and Lafayette Parish) as U.S. Highway 90 and, in places, as Louisiana 182.

https://www.americanroads.us/autotrails/oldspanishtrail.html

Old Spanish Trail Route Map

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

The Old Spanish Trail (OST) Highway is a transcontinental highway running from St. Augustine, Florida to San Diego, California. It runs through Louisiana (and Lafayette Parish) as U.S. Highway 90 and, in places, as Louisiana 182.

https://www.americanroads.us/autotrails/oldspanishtrail.html

Old Spanish Trail Route Map

Marty,

You just gave me a great idea for a winter road trip at some point - Start in Scottsdale the end of January during auction week and end at Amelia Island Concours the first of March - sure looks like a good way to spend February.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 3macboys said:

Marty,

You just gave me a great idea for a winter road trip at some point - Start in Scottsdale the end of January during auction week and end at Amelia Island Concours the first of March - sure looks like a good way to spend February.

Don

Don,

Yes, any portion of this route could be a great wintertime drive.

If you ever needed to get help or make up time, you're near I-10,

and also near good dining fare all the way.

Be sure to leave time to enjoy Cajun country.

Mardi Gras is Tuesday, February 13th, 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'd add a vote for the Trans Canada Highway, which goes from St Johns, NFLD, to Victoria, British Columbia. And has multiple routes so you could do different routes for a large amount of the trip on the way back. I can't speak to the Western provinces, but most of Ontario, Quebec, PEI, and some of Nova Scotia still have the same routes through small towns and what not. Others, like New Brunswick, some of Nova Scotia, and Newfoudnland, the original route is either gone or isn't labeled as the TCH anymore.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theconvertibleguy said:

I'd add a vote for the Trans Canada Highway, which goes from St Johns, NFLD, to Victoria, British Columbia. And has multiple routes so you could do different routes for a large amount of the trip on the way back. I can't speak to the Western provinces, but most of Ontario, Quebec, PEI, and some of Nova Scotia still have the same routes through small towns and what not. Others, like New Brunswick, some of Nova Scotia, and Newfoudnland, the original route is either gone or isn't labeled as the TCH anymore.

Having driven half this highway this year - my oldest is in the military and moved from Gagetown, NB to Shilo MB this summer and having reasons to visit in both places it's a great drive with great scenery both east and west.  I will caution though that through northern Ontario when the signs warn about limited services they really mean it.  There are some stretches of 200 km (120 miles) or more where there is nothing but trees, rocks and lakes and no cell service.  Both Hwy 11 and 17 through Ontario are well worth the trip and if you can time it, early September in Manitoba is fantastic as the wheat is coming off.  The palisades along Hwy 11 were an unexpected surprise and not to be missed is the Terry Fox memorial at Thunder Bay.  

• Like 4

It's not an either or kind of thing, it should be both and many more cross country routes as well. Each has it's own beauty, character and history. It's kind of like asking which of your children is your favorite? It also depends on the time of the year the traveler is planning his trip, his tolerance to extreme weather conditions, and of course destination. 

No matter which route he chooses he will only be scratching the surface of this great country. It's not just the historic road and the tourist traps that try to service the travelers, but then again it is that too. But as important as the route itself, equally as important is the country through which it travels. 

Not to muddy the waters too much, but I would be remis is I didn't at least mention the "Yellowstone Trail." It dates back to 1912 and traverses the continent through much of the northern tier of states. It is certainly an alternative to the heat and the dust of Route 66, but it is so much more. 

It's important for the traveler to do his homework first before he sets out. I think it's important for him to determine what is most important to him. Regardless one trip should not be his last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Having driven half this highway this year - my oldest is in the military and moved from Gagetown, NB to Shilo MB this summer and having reasons to visit in both places it's a great drive with great scenery both east and west.  I will caution though that through northern Ontario when the signs warn about limited services they really mean it.  There are some stretches of 200 km (120 miles) or more where there is nothing but trees, rocks and lakes and no cell service.  Both Hwy 11 and 17 through Ontario are well worth the trip and if you can time it, early September in Manitoba is fantastic as the wheat is coming off.  The palisades along Hwy 11 were an unexpected surprise and not to be missed is the Terry Fox memorial at Thunder Bay.  

Definitely second those warnings. My daily driver is a bit thirsty, and last time I was up north, it gets close between fuel stops. And that's the main highway between east and west. Some of the other roads, you're bringing gas with you :D

I'd personally recommend Hwy 17 between Wawa and the Soo. Hugs the shoreline, and I bet it's amazing colours right now.