1968 Riviera GS front shocks

LarryDolphins

I need to replace my front shocks on my 1968 Riviera GS. Front end is too bouncy, especially when I make turns.

I gave the front end a good bounce yesterday and it kept on bouncing.

Does any one know a part number or recommend a good pair of shocks? Hopefully it is only the shocks that I need and not the coil springs also. I would like to keep it at the same height is now.

Any advice is appreciated.

68 Rivi.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys, I also went to the bilsteins website and they do not have an option for 1968 Rivieras.

Anyone have a part# ?

EmTee thanks for the tip on the sway bar links, I have a new sway bar the previous owner gave me when I bought the car.

I plan on changing that at the same time I change the shocks. Looks like Rockauto has some links in stock.

• Like 1

If you’re good buddies with the manager of your local parts jobber, he might let you search through his Monroe shock catalog.  Find ALL the dimensions of the shock you need then look over the Bilstein shocks and find one that works.  In the early years of the ROA, there were alternative shocks listed for the first generation (in the early days, the ROA 😁was for 63 - 65 only). The ones I (think) remember are Dodge pickup shocks for the fronts.  

I just ordered the OE replacement Monroe shocks from RockAuto. I will give these a try. If I am not satisfied I will maybe change over to Bilsteins.

Kind of disappointed they did not have the shocks on their Bilsteins website and the website not working when I tried to find a nearby dealer.

After spending several hours going through the Automotive History Preservation Society website (of which I am a paid member), I finally found the Buick Parts Manual for front suspension illustrations.  After going into RockAuto to first look around at their specs and illustrations.

According to the Rock Auto "buyers guide list", it's not just Rivieras, but ALL '66-'70 Buick full-size cars on the fronts and similar on the rears.  '65-'76 Cadillacs on the fronts, too.

After looking at the front suspension parts illustrations, the real issue is the tube on the bottom of the shock, which the one bolt goes through the control arm.  Compared to what the Gen I cars were, with the more normal flanged tube on the bottom side.  To me, it looks like a less expensive way to do things, needing only the big bolt and nut, considering the tube on the end would cost the same as the prior flanged tube.  Maybe some engineering-related side issues in the mix, too?

Interesting that only Gabriel (in RA) still had both the front and rear shocks.  As did Performance Ride Technologies, which has an interesting website.

Also found some interesting Gen I Riviera ads, too.

Take care,

NTX5467

• Like 1

Just happened to have a 1992 Monroe Master Catalog. 

1966-1970 Riviera all used the same front shock ....Monroe # 5815

The same part number was also used on all full size Buicks  65-70 as well as 65 -76 Cadillac Calais & Deville. 

The 5815 had a stud at the top and a Bushing and Sleeve (LS19)  at the bottom (see attached pages) 

The compressed dimension was 8 3/4 and extended 13 3/8 

Looking further I found that 5840 had the same dimensions but the bottom mount was XP4 

There is a possibility that the lower 2 bolt mount could be cut and discarded ... the sleeve from the old shock

could be pressed into the bushing and this could be an workable solution.    

The BIG advantage to the 5840 is it was used on lots of GM cars...see attached sheet. 

In a 1991 Delco catalog the part number is 560-25 for Gas Charged Performer and 550-25 for Gas Cushioned Performer ...they indicate 1967 -71

Delco says the collapsed dimension is 9 inches and the extended is 14 1/2 

shock dim.jpg

shock mounts.jpg

5840.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:38 PM, Barney Eaton said:

There is a possibility that the lower 2 bolt mount could be cut and discarded ... the sleeve from the old shock

could be pressed into the bushing and this could be an workable solution.

This ^^^ is what I think I would try...

After more searching in the Monroe catalog........ this may be another alternate.  

Dodge and Plymouth products in the late '70 - early '80's used a similar shock 

The compress dimension is 8 inches (compared to 8 3/4) extended is 12 1/4 compared to 13 3/8

The bottom mount is LS18 which you will notice is the same hole size but the width is 2 3/16  compared to 3 3/16 

meaning a 1/2 inch spacer on each side would be the only modification needed.  

Looking on Rock Auto and using 1974 Plymouth Road Runner and 1980 Dodge St Regis as the car..... Rock auto 

has a good selection (even a KYB for the Road Runner)  for very good prices. 

For reference the 1992 Monroe part numbers were 2134 for their Monro-Matic  and 5824 for the Gas-Matic and 32134 for Monro-matic +  for those cars. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Monroe # 5815 front shocks last week, put them over the weekend.

For a sec I thought they might not fit because the body diameter was 1/8" bigger.

It was kind of a tight fit but they fit.

The ride is much better now!

Definitely need to change the sway bar links, they look very worn.

• Like 1