For Sale: 1954 DeSoto Firedome - Two-tone 2dr Hardtop - "Third owner" - $8,500 - Cape Cod, MA - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist: 1954 DeSoto Firedome 2-Door Hardtop in Orleans, Cape Cod, MA  -  $8,500  -  Call Josh: 774 534 00 six two 

Link:  https://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/d/south-orleans-1954-desoto-firedome-coupe/7657473328.html

Seller's Description:

1954 DeSoto Firedome 2-Door Hardtop

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 86,000
  • paint color: red
  • title status: clean
  • delivery available

1954 DeSoto Firedome 86k original mi. Car is mostly original and is in great shape. Runs, drives, and stops good!

• Original numbers matching 276 ci V8 Hemi. First year with power steering. Power glide aotomatic shifts great.
  • Newer seats and interior, solid frame with no rot, motor mounts are solid.
  • A couple minor spots of rust on the body but she's from '54 after all!
  • 3rd owner

This car has been well loved. It absolutely pains me to sell it. It's a head turner, so much fun to drive and it's like stepping into a time machine. I've been battling cancer for 3 years and am going on a cross country road trip and unfortunately I can't take it with me. I would rather not pay storage fees for the year or so that I'm gone either. Serious offers only please no tire kickers!

image.png.aff9f638d22ee03fd99886a49c7833d1.png

image.png.f4d4f3300ff3ef53b6d5b82db827735a.png

image.png.2c4975d1b9c4a3d673735724e9fa3ec3.png

image.png.25bfeb0e9200f0af30b80775c4a14a12.png

image.png.e33fe8029cfb9de27848bc9bc8ccf526.png

image.png.fa7587f282a5ab4df6c652840ead7458.png

image.png.430a2475fad35c05aeed107818c5fd25.png

image.png.80f79458a47dcc869b148b8363a1abf2.png

image.png.79aee082d5a3efaa7f18385438d64f62.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 DeSoto Firedome - Two-tone 2dr Hardtop - "Third owner" - $8,500 - Cape Cod, MA - Not Mine

Well, this is real proof that I can get a much better Mopar than that '53 Chrysler I was looking at today. This is just a bit more than what the seller today was asking, and look at the condition of the two cars. It's night and day. This one is really sharp. I like the red/black color combination. 

Replace that crumbled up steering wheel, and you're good to go. 

• Like 7

Well, I may not have the best judgement about this, but I would probably do it. Cape Cod to NJ, what is that, 300 miles or so? You'd have to look it over real good to make sure you aren't going to have any fuel fires or exploding brake hoses or anything like that. We haven't seen under the hood. Check all fluids, pop the wheel bearing caps and see if there's still decent grease in there (and no missing cotter pins, that happened to me once, fortunately nothing came apart).

• Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 11:58 PM, Bloo said:

Well, I may not have the best judgement about this, but I would probably do it.

Just have someone follow you with a toolbox and some supplies (water, oil, etc.).

On 8/24/2023 at 11:46 PM, DrumBob said:

Agree!  Wave $7K in cash in front of the seller and I think you'll own a nice looking DeSoto!  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 5

With AAA and 3 days of going over I would drive it to Texas. Just check out the above mentioned, maybe a couple spare brake hoses, carb rebuild kit, thermostat, oil, points, condensor, ice cube juice, water pump, belt, and head out.  Add an inline gas filter just for kicks. Maybe an electric fuel pump in reserve just in case.  Of course some more modern radials just to get home.  Easy car to repair in a parking lot

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Maybe an electric fuel pump in reserve just in case. 

Just check to see if it needs a 12 or 6v pump. I wish they had pics of the engine bay. They could have used less of the dramatic sky/sea-scape photos and included one of the engine bay.

• Like 2

Think we all are aware the "Power Glide" automatic transmission equip. he mentions is incorrect. That was the name of the old early GM 2 speed automatic.
1954 Mopars have "PowerFlite" 3 speed automatics. That is always printed on the shift quadrant of these cars.

It takes a great deal of sunlight and heat and time to deteriorate a Mopar steering wheel of this era to this degradation. And the interior has quite obviously been redone. In the past this car has not lived a life without some abuse and that should be considered. You won't find a steering wheel replacement readily. Best to set aside $1000 to have this one redone and send it off "over winter".

And I too very much like the looks and model of this DeSoto !
  • Thanks 1

Powerflites are 2-speed, assuming that is what it has, and that could account for some confusion. I wonder if it could be an M6? I think that may have been still technically optional in 54.

3 speeds with pushbuttons came along with the cast iron Torqueflite in 1956, and even then not every car got one.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 1:16 PM, DrumBob said:

Well, this is real proof that I can get a much better Mopar than that '53 Chrysler I was looking at today. This is just a bit more than what the seller today was asking, and look at the condition of the two cars. It's night and day. This one is really sharp. I like the red/black color combination. 

DrumBob,  I think this one has your name all over it. Sure it’s not perfect but is a sharp looking Mopar. 

Worth a serious look?

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

DrumBob,  I think this one has your name all over it. Sure it’s not perfect but is a sharp looking Mopar. 

Worth a serious look?

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I like it a lot. I texted the seller with no response yet. If I don't hear from him tomorrow, I will call directly. Apparently, he's not well, so that may have something to do with his lack of response. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrumBob said:

I like it a lot. I texted the seller with no response yet. If I don't hear from him tomorrow, I will call directly. Apparently, he's not well, so that may have something to do with his lack of response. 

As far as the steering wheel, I'd probably just put a leather wrapper on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumBob said:

Also, the Craigslist ad says to Call Josh: 774 534 00 six two or contact him through Craigslist email. Doesn't say anything about texting. Perhaps the number is for a landline phone and then he wouldn't have received your text. Your best form of contact is probably to call.  Best of luck to you, Bob. Please keep us posted! 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

It looks like a nice car.  Needs a bit of work, but nothing crazy and when you’re done you have something really interesting.  

Cape Cod to NJ isn’t that far, but I’d make sure I had AAA and other than next Monday, I’d try it if I had a friend in a chase car so I wouldn’t have to spend too much time at the side of the road if something went wrong.  

For the steering wheel, when I had the one done on my 50 Chrysler I bought a cheap one off eBay so that the car was useable while I had it done.  

2 hours ago, DavidinCA said:

It looks like a nice car.  Needs a bit of work, but nothing crazy and when you’re done you have something really interesting.  

Cape Cod to NJ isn’t that far, but I’d make sure I had AAA and other than next Monday, I’d try it if I had a friend in a chase car so I wouldn’t have to spend too much time at the side of the road if something went wrong.  

For the steering wheel, when I had the one done on my 50 Chrysler I bought a cheap one off eBay so that the car was useable while I had it done.  

Just curious, what does it cost to have a steering wheel redone? 

The one for my car was a marbled plastic look and was well over $1k.  It would presumably be less for a solid color, but the $1k is not a bad number to have in the back of your mind.  I’m told you can do it yourself, but that is not the sort of thing I’m at all good at.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavidinCA said:

...but the $1k is not a bad number to have in the back of your mind.  I’m told you can do it yourself, but that is not the sort of thing I’m at all good at.  

If this were my car I would probably take the wheel to my workbench, remove the loose pieces, scuff the remaining hard plastic with 80 grit sandpaper and then use polyester bodyfiller to fill-in the gaps.  Bodywork the rim (sand, re-coat, sand, recoat...) until it looks presentable, then prime and paint.  I'll bet it would look pretty good and hold up until you could either save money to have it re-cast, or find a better original wheel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DrumBob said:

Just curious, what does it cost to have a steering wheel redone? 

I don't know how this steering wheel would

be repaired.  Would it be taken down to the 

underlying steel rod and recast?  If so, who does that?

Alternatively, save money by finding a good used one.

I have had steering wheels repaired, but they had only

a few cracks, or else the inlaid plastic woodgrain (of

the 1970's) had broken and fallen out.  Those cost about

$650 each to repair, plus about $150 labor of getting

the steering wheel off and back on.  The repairs were

done by Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle, Pa.,

phone (717) 243-5646.

You can see, Bob, how getting a good car to begin really

is a financial bonus!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That steering wheel might be a lost cause......I'd be afraid that once I started removing the loose pieces a lot of it would fall apart. There might be too many cracks to fill and the pressure from the sanding would just cause more of it to come loose. It will be a lot of work. I don't know what the solution is but it sounds like a pretty expensive fix on a car I've already spent all the money on just to buy and (hopefully) drive home without incident. BTW the car has a Powerflite automatic and not a Powerglide. 1953 was the first year Desoto offered power steering, not 1954. And I'd be more worried about the condition of the body mounts, not the motor mounts. And the statement addressing the rust situation "she's a 1954 after all" is not necessarily what I want to hear about a car from the northeast rust belt 300 miles away from my house. I'd really like to see pictures of the engine & trunk compartments and less pics of the incorrect bright red reupholstered seats. I'd also want to see an overall shot of the rear of the car. IMO I am not asking for too much when someone's asking $8500 for a car that has somewhat faded paint and a lot of unknowns..........

• Thanks 2

As Emtee suggests, remove the wheel and make a temporary repair. Then perhaps use a leather steering wheel cover for now until you source a good/better one.

If the rest of the car is good and floats your boat, don’t be put off by the wheel. It is not insurmountable. Besides you can always use that as a bargaining tool if necessary.

Too often we focus on the obvious issue and don’t see the rest. If it drives well, starts and stops ……

Just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

There are a number of possible solutions the the steering wheel problem. Parts book shows 1954 Desotos came with two different wheels. The lower priced 6 could be had with a 2-spoke rubber wheel that would have held up better over the years and one might be found in good overall condition today with minimal cracks. It wouldn't look out of place at all and it's very possible it could be repaired & repainted with minimal effort. Of course you would need the correct horn ring with all the appropriate parts to complete the installation. The 2-spoke wheel I'm showing is from a 1950 DeSoto and it's only for illustrative purposes but it's one possible solution if all the correct parts could be sourced. 

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I don't know how this steering wheel would

be repaired.  Would it be taken down to the 

underlying steel rod and recast?  If so, who does that?

Alternatively, save money by finding a good used one.

I have had steering wheels repaired, but they had only

a few cracks, or else the inlaid plastic woodgrain (of

the 1970's) had broken and fallen out.  Those cost about

$650 each to repair, plus about $150 labor of getting

the steering wheel off and back on.  The repairs were

done by Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle, Pa.,

phone (717) 243-5646.

You can see, Bob, how getting a good car to begin really

is a financial bonus!

It certainly is, John. the steering wheel issue is not an issue at all. I'd deal with it for a while, then do something about it. 

• Like 1