I never realized how diverse the job duties are for our CEO

Ray62

I stopped by the HQ this afternoon on my way home from Harrisburg and what did I see in the parking lot? None other than our CEO Steve Moskowitz hard at work pulling weeds and spraying herbicide. I'm sure that everyone who knows Steve knows how hard he works for the members of this great organization, but I never realized that the job description for the AACA CEO position includes doing yard work at the HQ.  

IMG_20230803_143211023_HDR (2).jpg

• Like 19

If it's got to be done, then it doesn't matter who does it. I have not met him but if he is doing that sort of thing rather than making a noise about it needing to be done then he gets a round of applause from me at least. A doer and not a demander - that sort of thing just puts him in a better position when he chooses to delegate next time. The sort of man I would respect as a boss.

Steve

• Like 4

Lead by example………proof that he is not only hard core, hard working, but smart. As a boss, NEVER ask anyone to do anything you wouldn’t do yourself. 

PS- Steve, stop by the shop…….I could use some help!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have met Steve a number of times (not that he would remember me) at the convention, at AACA meets and at the HQ. I dont think I have ever seen him standing still. I like his attitude, if it needs to be done then do it. His time may be better served elsewhere but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

• Like 2

I have a lot of respect for Steve. He has done and continues to do much for the AACA, a lot of which goes unnoticed and unappreciated. If I lived anywhere near Hershey I'd be begging him for a job. Maybe doing yard work so he could do more important things? 😃

• Like 1

Ah shucks guys....the one comment is a guide for me, I try to lead by example.  A title does not make me above doing menial work when I see it needs to be done.  Not the best use of my time but in a sense it is.  At least I am qualified for pulling weeds.  We have a huge investment in our new building and I always want it looking its best for our guests.  Besides, it is a great break from the computer!!!

I feel bad about breaking Ray's camera...I told him not to take a picture!

• Like 5

He leads from the front.  Before I retired from the Army I was at Fort Indiantown Gap for training for a week.  We got released on Sunday afternoon, but I didn't have to be back to work until Tuesday night, so I stayed an extra night at Fort Indiantown Gap so that I could sightsee around Hershey on Monday.

As fate would have it, on a Sunday night I swung by the old AACA Headquarters to check on the hours of the Library and guess who was just rolling out of the office??  STEVE!!

Almost Eight o'clock on a Sunday night and he was at the office.  I don't know who was more surprised, me seeing him, or him seeing me.  

Needless to say I know the hours he keeps.  If you want to learn even more, try hosting a national meet our tour.  In 2010 when I chaired a national meet, I quickly learned firsthand just how much Steve, the national directors and the staff at AACA Headquarters do to put on a great organization. 

When I did my speech prior to the awards banquet when our meet was over, I thanked Steve, the National Directors and the staff at AACA Headquarters do and I apologized to them all for taking them for granted.  

Like several others, there have been a lot of things from time to time that I didn't agree with, but when you find yourself in a role of planning and logistics for putting on a national meet, you quickly learn how things are done and why they're done the way that they are (like online credit card payment for meet registration).

I learned a lot, so much to the point to where I was asked to run for a spot on the National Board of Directors and wouldn't because I knew I couldn't do the job to the level that I felt that it needed to be done.  Not only do these people work hard, they do so to the point where most of them don't have the time to enjoy their own cars. There were a few people who took a burn when I wouldn't do it, but I know how thin I got stretched with the meet that I knew I couldn't do what they do.

While Steve does a great job and works hard, don't forget the staff at headquarters..

AutoShow122.JPG

• Like 4

On 8/4/2023 at 12:04 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

I find menial labor to be cathartic.  And in the case of shoveling horseshit in my teens, it was a remarkably good skill to have later in life. :)

I remember when my sister went to collage, my father said that she had to get a job for spending money even if she has to shovel horse shit! This led me to earn my own spending money since I was 11.

This is the best advice that a father can give!  

• Like 1