Buick Side Opening Hood

TAKerry

I was at a show yesterday and there was what looked like a late 40's Buick 2 door sedan. The hood opened on the driverside. It looked pretty neat that way but working on the passenger side looked impossible. I assume that it could be opened from either side? Does not look very convenient for overall working in the engine bay.

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was at a show yesterday and there was what looked like a late 40's Buick 2 door sedan. The hood opened on the driverside. It looked pretty neat that way but working on the passenger side looked impossible. I assume that it could be opened from either side? Does not look very convenient for overall working in the engine bay.

The hood can open either way to work on either side.

• Like 2

Do you have a link to the campaign bulletin?

On 7/24/2023 at 10:43 AM, TAKerry said:

It's really not too bad once you get familiar with the layout of the engine compartment. Most of the time, the hood needs to be opened from the passenger side. Oil level indicator, battery, oil filter, distributor, plugs and wires are all on the passenger side. Since they open from both sides, access is just a matter of closing and opening from the opposite side. Complete removal and reinstllation  is surprisingly easy, you just need two people. 

• Like 2

Opening from either side ,

and easily removing the hood entirely with assistance from your spouse or assistant - 

is a major benefit - especially if working near the rear of the engine or at the firewall.

It is really simple once you are accustomed to the idea.

PS: Packard also used this approach