Can take more photos of frame

CountryGirl36

8 hours ago, CountryGirl36 said:

Thank you 

anyone know how to research the number on the ignition I believe it is.

it says 754 on one side and k1 on the other.

IMG_3954.jpeg

a picture of a 1920 Westscott dashboard from the internet. 

not the same but close FEA9304C-132C-4613-B318-6BA0C9CF8A37.png.905cbe79d7f696444139ec0b6107203c.png

• Thanks 1

Country girl,

The numbers on the ignition cylinder have to do with the cuts made on the key to make it fit the cylinder. Back in the day you could give these numbers to a locksmith and he could cut a key from them.

• Thanks 1

Going ahead leaps and bounds CG.

Off eBay 1918 Westcott Series 18 Owners manual. This is combination switch no. 1079. Not this one unfortunately.

1918Westcottcombinationswitch.jpg.29535a6c4c7f15ab0dc46175adef101f.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313841778712

Also on eBay is 1920-1921 Westcott Owners manual for Type C-48, Combination switch no. 1157

and Type C- 38, Combination switch no.1170.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313841785136

Maybe if you ask nicely he will put pic up on ad, or send to you?

It might be same as what JohnS25 posted ?

Hope this narrows it down a bit.

• Thanks 1

CG,

You are digging in an old trash pile. The picture you just posted is of the remains of an old leaf rake and earlier you posted a picture of a paper towel roll holder. The car you are excavating is a rare make and no doubt someone will want the parts if you want to part with them. Westcott was like a lot of other manufacturers in that they bought component parts from different suppliers. As an example, the rear differential was made by Timkin but it is in a Westcott frame.

The first picture you posted above looks like a casting number of 1-11-14, which should make this a 1915 year Westcott.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm still going to keep on digging. still have to flip the frame upright. still have 2 more trees to cut down to get the car parts out from under that. so even if there's nothing else left, i can say that i got to dig up an old car frame and had help from everyone on here to figure out what it could be. i will post anything new i find. I'm going to be hopeful today i will find something.

• Like 6

CG, the AACA library might have copies of the earlier Westcott owners manuals. 

If you email them, with a pic of the combination  switch you found, and a link to your story so far, they might be able to see if their manuals has a pic of the same. 

• Thanks 1

It’s was a fun day playing in the mud!! 🤠

NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY the metal box has mesh on one side and and it’s solid on the others.

Where I’m working right now is where the dash came out of too. So who knows how far I’ll have to dig to find stuff.

We got the frame up and unstuck. But there are still plenty of treasures to be found. I hope the one piece I’ve put a lot of time into, that we’ll be able to get it out whole. But everywhere I step there’s another piece lol 🤣

IMG_7091.jpeg

IMG_7092.jpeg

IMG_7095.jpeg

IMG_7102.jpeg

IMG_7103.jpeg

IMG_7111.jpeg

IMG_7113.jpeg

IMG_7117.jpeg

IMG_7118.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keiser31

We have identified the car as a 1915 Westcott. The 15 Westcott was available with a 4 cylinder 35 hp continental motor or a 50 hp 6 cylinder continental motor. The frame looks to be a long wheelbase so I suspect it is a six cylinder.

I want to buy it from CG and restore it. I think I could say I've started with less.

Three running board brackets per side confirms it is a six cylinder frame.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, AHa said:

13 posts above is a casting date of 1-11-14. I can't tell what part the picture is of but the date indicates 1915.

@drwatson, for the life of me I cannot  find the photo AHa is referring to either....

I've read this thread several times and am not seeing it. 

AHa, could you please copy and paste the photo of the part you're referring to if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks 

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

@drwatson, for the life of me I cannot  find the photo AHa is referring to either....

I've read this thread several times and am not seeing it. 

AHa, could you please copy and paste the photo of the part you're referring to if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks 

Dave

BatCountryGirl started a few new posts about the same topic. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHa said:

Is this not a casting date? Is that not 1-1-14? I am no expert for sure. Country Girl, can you check to see what part this number is on? If you guys can't find it, maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

IMG_7082.jpeg

I see F-15-20 which would be June 15,1920 if it is a casting date at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Every man sees what he wants to see."

Funny, I don't see an F or a 2 at all. There is a typo in the post above. What I see is 1-11-14. I guess what CG is telling us is these numbers are on the spring casting at the end of the frame horn. Perhaps they are a part number? The frame has Alemite grease fittings. What year were they first used?

• Like 1

Believe your little box with the mesh is the bottom side of the cowl vent. The cowl is upside down and has lost it shape. The edge with little angle to it is part of the hood former.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This reminds me of the mid 1970's and my parents had a pool dug in the back yard and the excavator dragged up the remains of a De-Dion and a Ford T. Quite obviously buried before the house was built in 1958 as nobody knew how they got there. Prior to the land being subdivided it was farmland so the farmer probably used them as landfill. Dad gave what was left of them to a pal who "liked old clunkers". I wanted to keep the brass top tank from the T as it had our surname on it!

• Like 2

Fordy that sounds like the adventure I'm on, only difference is i am the human excavator.... lol 

drwatson it is a Westcott with the same saying underneath. I just have to figure out what model this could be. i have found at least 4 door handles, part of the hood, the dash (which is the toughest thing to match up), parts to the windshield (i think), some other heavy metal hinges and other misc.... 

There are still more pieces of this car that have grown literally with the tree roots so it's a process. 

does anyone know what the weird reminisce is on the vent cowl and running boards? is it from the metal that was used?

• Thanks 1

The piece with the name on it above is made out of aluminum. Aluminum corrodes (rusts) different from steel. The cowl vent looks to have had some copper on it. Copper corrodes green. The piece with the name on it is most likely a door sill plate.

• Thanks 1

Most of the staining should come off with hot water, a cleaning agent similar to Comet, and a stiff bristle brush. The white flaky parts will expose the corrosion but I don't know any way around that. Understand, there are scientific ways to clean this and there are back yard ways. Just be gentle. Don't use a wire brush on it. If you soak it in hot water and soap first, most of it will wipe off with a rag.

• Thanks 1

My Kinda Girl!! Sure enjoying your careful archeological dig, and what appears to be substantial remains of a substantial car. My dad was a coastal treasure hunter for a few years back in the 60's and I was always fascinated by the old things they would bring up from the ocean after 200+years. Your topic is catching a lot of attention, much more interesting than the scripted reality TV shows so prevalent these days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi CG36, Wow, awesome find. Yes, go easy does it on the name plate. Perhaps just use a artist paint brush, which is very light and not abrasive along with detergent. It appears to be made from ALUMINUM, so it could be delicate at this point. So no rush on cleaning it up, just remove stuck on gunk. There may be an expert among the group that knows the best non corrosive methods of restoring the name plate. For me, I'd just make it readable and leave most of the antiquing on it. All in all, Best Wishes.

• Thanks 1