“Black Ghost” Challenger sells for more than $1 million

Reynard

Black-Ghost-Crossing-Block.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&ixlib=php-3.3.0&max-h=480&max-w=640

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/black-ghost-challenges-sells-for-nearly-1-million-at-auction/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MED_UN_NA_EML_UN_WeekendRoadTrip&hashed_email=41ff36ad5666346b0e79a7d15b12d9ee917e477d1c470ae44787dc034a52cb80

On the afternoon of May 19, 2023, a legendary 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE rolled onto Mecum’s auction block in Indianapolis. 8 minutes and 14 seconds later, the hammer fell on the high bid of $975,000, just shy of the oft-predicted $1 million the car would go for. With Mecum’s 10 percent buyer’s premium, the final figure amounts to at least $1,072,500.

Just saw a couple of videos on Youtube by Tony DeFeo debunking this car. Yes it is a rare hemi car in decent shape but far from a legend. It has been hyped up into something it never was. True value a small fraction of what it sold for. Sold by the son of the original owner who did a good job of selling a story. If you want the low down see "Uncle Tony's Garage" on Youtube.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Not growing up in Detroit I knew nothing about this car until it was hyped for the auction. Great for the seller. They are also selling a limited number of new challengers that are 'black ghost' editions. I think the funniest part of the story, according to the lore, is that the car got its nickname 'black ghost' for its late night street racing. It was supposed to be a formidable foe, would come out of its hiding spot, street race, win for a bit, then go back into hiding for some period of time then do it all again. Hence why it was a ghost. AND the original owner was a Police Officer!!

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Not growing up in Detroit I knew nothing about this car until it was hyped for the auction. Great for the seller. They are also selling a limited number of new challengers that are 'black ghost' editions. I think the funniest part of the story, according to the lore, is that the car got its nickname 'black ghost' for its late night street racing. It was supposed to be a formidable foe, would come out of its hiding spot, street race, win for a bit, then go back into hiding for some period of time then do it all again. Hence why it was a ghost. AND the original owner was a Police Officer!!

From what I’ve read, many people from Detroit who “street raced” at the time haven’t heard of it either 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty certain I used to see that car with the fender flags on Woodward Avenue, but never raced it because my car was a 383 Road Runner and not a HEMI.

Picture 26352.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I remember seeing a video on this car when it was pulled from the garage it had been sitting in and the son got it running but that is the last I heard about it.  I have a car my dad bought new and would never sell it even for that much money.

My Dad and I got along just fine, but for that kind of money I'd deliver his Roadster and my T Touring as fast I could get them there. 

• Haha 3

I love my cars but its just a piece of iron. Pops memories live on in many ways. Im with you, I would sell when the price was right. I told my son, I know he had little interest in my cars and to not feel any remorse at all about selling them when Im gone. He has since started to drive them and I think he feels differently now though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

The new one would be a far better choice. 800 hp, instant classic, for a fraction of the price. 
What do I know, I'm just a peasant

2023 Dodge Charger, Challenger Order Books Open, Pricing Announced (motor1.com)

Dodge Challenger Black Ghost 2023. - world best car | world best car

Theres a u tube video with a guy that has a comet or something like that with a 1300hp blown motor. Drag slicks, racing seats, wheelie bars the whole nine yards. Said he had over 200k in the car and it was too expensive to put on the track. He takes it down a busy street in the middle of the day, the throttle sticks and the brakes fail. He rear ends some poor unsuspecting sole in a mini van totalling both vehicles. 

SO, why is it we need all that HP?

On 5/29/2023 at 5:16 AM, TAKerry said:

Theres a u tube video with a guy that has a comet or something like that with a 1300hp blown motor. Drag slicks, racing seats, wheelie bars the whole nine yards. Said he had over 200k in the car and it was too expensive to put on the track. He takes it down a busy street in the middle of the day, the throttle sticks and the brakes fail. He rear ends some poor unsuspecting sole in a mini van totalling both vehicles. 

SO, why is it we need all that HP?

I guess, for the same reason we need automatic weapons.

• Haha 1