Ford Retractable Trivia question

I've been told it's not right to ask a trivia question without knowing the answer, but here i go anyway:

How many motors does it take to operate the retractable top of a Skyliner???

I'm really not looking for guesses. I'd like to know the correct answer.

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

I've been told it's not right to ask a trivia question without knowing the answer, but here i go anyway:

How many motors does it take to operate the retractable top of a Skyliner???

I'm really not looking for guesses. I'd like to know the correct answer.

What year? 57-58 use seven motors, 1959s were redesigned to use only six

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 for the 57-58, 6 for the 59.  But if you are talking just retracting the roof, 1.  

1 for the top, 1 for the trunk lid lift/lower, 1 for the trunk lid lock screws, 1 for the flapper, 1 for the front windshield screw locks, 2 for the rear roof lock screws( 1 on 59's)

10 relays and over 600 feet of wire.

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Sometimes you gotta wonder about that. Do they go all the way down?

f0091.JPG.95872d90824e5a00eb3e53ba76297ece.JPG

30 years or so ago I took the 1969 Toronado to a local show where a well-known local Ford collector had a 59 Skyliner on display. In the required Skyliner stance of course.

Me being the smart-ass that I am, I said "Harry Lee, will the tops on these cars even go more than halfway down?"

It's a gas when a 75 year old calls you a damn little smart-ass SOB and tells you to do anatomically impossible things to yourself!😆😏

Ford Motor Co reportedly spent $2M developing the prototype retractable hardtop for the Continental Mark II to the point of a running prototype. When it was realized that at the potential sales volume for that rarified luxury coupe any profit was impossible, the project transferred for further development for the upcoming all-new 1957 Ford platform, at an additional $18M cost.    At 48,394 Fairlane 500 Skyliners sold over three years, it was an expensive vanity project, though great showroom attractions to get folks in the door.   Ford did derive further benefits from the development engineering applying it to the soft-top 1958-1966 Thunderbird and 1958-1967 Lincoln Continental convertibles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

I am impressed by the tiny "safe" luggage area in the middle of all that trunk.

More impressive is the special fitted luggage designed to exactly fill that space.

2GEJD1SBNTLK74NN.jpg

Of course, not the only time this was done. Remember the special fitted luggage for Pontiac Fieros that were designed to fit every nook and cranny in the car?

I'll bet chiropractors loved retractables. Just thinking about trying to get luggage in and out of the basket makes my back hurt!😬

Apparently no one at GM thoroughly considered flat tires on the Fiero. The donut spare fit in the front compartment. The full-size flat tire would not. And since not every Fiero got the luggage rack on the engine compartment cover...

Where is the spare tire and jack stored on a Retractable?

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I'll bet chiropractors loved retractables. Just thinking about trying to get luggage in and out of the basket makes my back hurt!😬

Where is the spare tire and jack stored on a Retractable?

If I recall correctly, the spare tire and jack are stored under the luggage basket...that thought makes anyone's back ache thinking about having to lift it out over the quarter panel sides.    Chances are any Skyliner owner who ever had a flat tire had new tires installed annually in hopes to avoid that misery.  Owners of 1958-1966 Thunderbird and 1958-1967 Lincoln Continental convertibles also faced that problem but they likely had Auto Club or AAA memberships just in case.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

More impressive is the special fitted luggage designed to exactly fill that space.

2GEJD1SBNTLK74NN.jpg

Of course, not the only time this was done. Remember the special fitted luggage for Pontiac Fieros that were designed to fit every nook and cranny in the car?

That makes it just like the Mercedes Gull Wing, right?

20 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I'll bet chiropractors loved retractables. Just thinking about trying to get luggage in and out of the basket makes my back hurt!

The 1997 Mercedes Benz SLK (R170) changed all that, with a trunklid that could also open conventionally.  Until that time, it was a back-breaking and rather time-consuming operation to access the trunk.  Since then, every retractable convertible on the market have trunks that open conventionally, thus incresing their popularity somewhat.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The other problem with the "Hideaway Hardtop" was the styling, in my opinion. With that bustle back it just didn't look as good as the Sunliner, which had much better proportions. It did have an advantage from a saftey standpoint as the gas tank was moved in front of the rear axle from the normal position under the trunk, to make room from the spare tire.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird