Steve, Tell us about the Oldsmobile Limited on the other Forum.

1937hd45

Somehow I found the parallel universe version of the Forum on Facebook by mistake. There is a photo of an Olds Limited covered with people, looks like a Roadster, is it? I would think Forum members would enjoy seeing the color photo, is it in the new headquarters building? 

Bob 

What makes that Olds so "grand" is that it is in perfect period harmony with the way the cars were presented when new. Excellent colors - the maroon on the chassis isn't to light or dark, fender and body colors also period correct. And many cars from the brass era to the classic era get draped with extra lamps , accessories etc. sometimes that is just to make that particular car known to be the one owned by a particular individual- all ok but its like a good looking lady with to much make up ...... not necessary.

This Olds looks just right AND is in the HQ of AACA on display where non car people may see it and then have planted in their memory what a car of that era really looked like.

• Like 11

Walt, you’re overlooking her major flaw with the Limited in the club headquarters……….It’s not mine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

But Ed, you have all the cars: a Botha, a 3 pedal Ford, two cars that are named White but are not that color, a Tray la made in Buffylo, and some Peez Zarrows.  and some day a National race car will arrive you got from some geezer a while ago. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the second photo Steve! Another feature that compliments the car are the painted to match wheel nuts & lugs. Some cars from that era have them plated and it sometimes acts as a distraction, somewhat like whitewalls on a Classic. 

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

But Ed, you have all the cars: a Botha, a 3 pedal Ford, two cars that are named White but are not that color, a Tray la made in Buffylo, and some Peez Zarrows.  and some day a National race car will arrive you got from some geezer a while ago. 🤩

Walt.....do you know how many old cars in your collection is enough? Simple, the perfect number is just one more. 😛

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Besides it being an Olds, besides I have followed this car every since I was in my 20's, besides its 43 X 5 tires, besides, it's great colors is that it was a very generous gift to us by Cal and Janet High.  AACA owns this car and I hope it is here for generations to come.  Driving a Limited is an experience.  It is great going down the highway but not so great in tight turning at car shows and concours.  Got to be strong!

• Like 6

Great motorcar, glad AACA has become its conservator.  Interesting to consider that Oldsmobile progressed from the diminutive Curve-Dash Olds to the Limited within a decade.  For a brief interlude, the prosperous gent with $5-7K for a proper motorcar might consider a Locomobile, Lozier, Pierce-Arrow, Packard, Peerless, Chadwick, Austin, Simplex and ... Oldsmobile!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Besides it being an Olds, besides I have followed this car every since I was in my 20's, besides its 43 X 5 tires, besides, it's great colors is that it was a very generous gift to us by Cal and Janet High.  AACA owns this car and I hope it is here for generations to come.  Driving a Limited is an experience.  It is great going down the highway but not so great in tight turning at car shows and concours.  Got to be strong!

That is a very impressive automobile, and gift, as a 50 year member of AACA I'd like to say thank you to Cal and Janet High. Steve can you provide the history on the car, I always find it interesting to know who owned a car from the showroom to the present and the tales the car could tell if it could speak. 

• Like 2

This car was originally built by Olds Motor Works to test out their theory on big displacement along with big wheels to better navigate the roads of the time ( someone did not realize that all the power in the world was not going to give them great traction with the width of the tires).  At least two cars were built and driven by factory representatives in late 1908 and 1909. There is not much documentation on this but it is spelled out in ad ad for the 1910 Limited which I have on display here from my personal collection (now permanently staying with the car).  My feeling (cannot prove) that this car was owned at one time by Barney Pollard who managed to get several other early Oldsmobiles for his collection.  When I first heard of it in the 70's, it was owned by Glenn "take apart" Weatherford in Texas.  It was partially disassembled at that point.  I believe it was sold to someone in Canada and later to Bob Sullivan on the West Coast.  Unfortunately, it was under restoration when it was caught up in the forest fires in Sonoma, CA and suffered severe damage.  It was re-restored and eventually sold at RMSotheby's auction in Hershey, first to John Muckel and then to David Peeler.  Everyone was an AACA member.  Cal had always wanted a Limited and felt he should have bought it so he asked me if I could get him and Mr. Peeler together to discuss his idea as he wanted it to be displayed in our atrium. His reason for doing so was a little embarrassing and humbling to me.  When Chris Ritter and I picked up the car, Cal changed up the terms and instead of a long term loan he donated the car!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:32 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Stop wondering!

1908 Olds.jpg

That is one BEAUTIFUL Oldsmobile.  Thank you very much to the High family for donating it to AACA and allowing it to be displayed in the atrium.  I hope to someday get back to the AACA Headquarters to see this on display.

Thanks, Tim