Free six/twelve volt battery charger for whoever wants it

JamesR

It doesn't work, as far as I can tell, but I hate to throw it out because maybe it can be fixed. Also has a 12 volt setting. I have a newer charger that I use, but this has a cool old vintage look to it. I'll pay shipping, but if you want to send me a check to reimburse me for shipping, that would be cool.

If these can't be fixed and nobody wants it, I'll throw it out. Just PM me your mailing address.

batchrger.jpg

• Like 1

Not much to go wrong with them. Could be a broken wire, blown fuse, or worst case the selenium rectifier burned out. That can be replaced .

If you go with diodes instead of  a rectifier, you will want to use only 2. The diodes are so much more efficient that you will double the output, volts and amps, if you use a diode bridge for full wave rectification.

That style of charger has certain advantages. Choice of 6 and 12 volts for a start. Will not overcharge like a bigger charger might. A slow charge is better for the battery if you have the time. And, it will charge batteries that a modern electronic charger won't work on. All in all a handy item to have around the shop, and doesn't take up much room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you were nearby? I would probably drive by, stop and visit for a bit, and gladly take it off your hands. I already have about a half dozen similar battery chargers, and have repaired half of them at least once.

Sometimes it is just the gauge has failed, and using my old volt/ohm meter to check on it, it still charges batteries just fine. Often other failures are just failed connections, easy fixes. The transformers in these things rarely fail, but if one does? You may not be able to find a replacement as they tend to be wound "use specific".

The other big thing in these things is the rectifier. What type it is might make a big difference. That one looks like it might be old enough to still use a selenium rectifier. A few years ago, I tried to source a replacement selenium rectifier for something else and hit the proverbial brick walls, being repeatedly told they were not available anymore due to EPA controls. About two years later I was told there were still a few sources, but have since lost the information.

Very likely that one is modern enough to use some sort of diode rectifier. A few years back, a couple of my chargers got abused a bit by me using them to charge a magneto (a bit outside their design?). The diode rectifiers shall we say failed? At that time Radio Shack was still around, and even they had standard replacement diodes that fit okay and are still working just fine! Any decent electronics component supply house should be able to provide appropriate diodes for such a simple device (although the diodes do need to be adequately high current rating).

Personally, I like these type battery chargers. Old enough, reasonably well made. Rugged and practical. They do not do automatic power cycling, but how often does one really need that?

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've replaced the rectifier with a diode bridge cabbaged out of a busted alternator. Have also used electronics store diodes soldered together.

I have one of those, that came with a selenium rectifier, that I put a diode bridge in. I only use it for a quick charge when I am going to be nearby to keep an eye on it. The diode bridge doubled the voltage and amperage. Now, I would just use 2 diodes. This would give the same volts and amps as original.

• Like 1

Last time I heard someone talk about full wave rectification they'd just come from the Dr's office!

• Haha 3

Location, location, location. 

Not an exact location, but at least east, west, central, north, south, central would give a hint to shipping cost for us thinking about reimbursing you. Your FREE shipping offer is GREAT! 

Oh, if it fits in a flat rate box, then location not needed.... dolt slap.:D

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A few years ago, I tried to source a replacement selenium rectifier for something else and hit the proverbial brick walls, being repeatedly told they were not available anymore due to EPA controls

Not sure about that, but the demand for selenium diodes is ZERO in the electronics community. If they fail they smell bad. A silicon diode can replace it for a fraction of what a selenium cost, in a tenth of the space. Sometimes you need to add a series resistance because the voltage drop is so much less with silicon  (.6V usually).

Yes, I have diodes I can fix it with if that's the issue, I have run into cables that flexed to much and now are open or intermittent. Only once did I run into a charger with  a bad transformer so it can happen.... but very rare.

Awaiting another person to want it.;)

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I tried to source a replacement selenium rectifier for something else and hit the proverbial brick walls, being repeatedly told they were not available anymore due to EPA controls.

I don't think the part about the EPA is true. In my opinion, someone was giving you the run around, and making excuses without enough information. Selenium rectifiers are extremely controversial in forums about antique electronics, and I do not wish to bring that fight here. Nevertheless the subject has been discussed ad nauseam and I have never heard of any kind of a ban. The most likely reason they are gone is simple economics. Silicon diodes that can do the same job with higher efficiency cost about 6 cents each, and even less in bulk. As of 15 years or so ago, I believe there was one company in the whole world still making selenium rectifiers. They were expensive and not readily available through electronics parts suppliers.

I strongly suspect the rectifiers in battery chargers are NOT selenium. Selenium was almost never used at low voltages because it is far too lossy. Copper oxide rectifiers usually look about like selenium rectifiers and are better suited to the task. That is probably what you are seeing in battery chargers.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I don't think the part about the EPA is true. In my opinion, someone was giving you the run around, and making excuses without enough information. Selenium rectifiers are extremely controversial in forums about antique electronics, and I do not wish to bring that fight here. Nevertheless the subject has been discussed ad nauseam and I have never heard of any kind of a ban. The most likely reason they are gone is simple economics. Silicon diodes that can do the same job with higher efficiency cost about 6 cents each, and even less in bulk. As of 15 years or so ago, I believe there was one company in the whole world still making selenium rectifiers. They were expensive and not readily available through electronics parts suppliers.

I strongly suspect the rectifiers in battery chargers are NOT selenium. Selenium was almost never used at low voltages because it is far too lossy. Copper oxide rectifiers usually look about like selenium rectifiers and are better suited to the task. That is probably what you are seeing in battery chargers.

Guys, I concur with most of the above observations BUT have you tried to connect a dead battery to this device? Some of these have internal sensors that prohibit any voltage coming from the cables if there is no battery connected to eliminate the possibility of a short and internal damage. I know this from a similar offer from a friend who thought I could fix it instead of just throwing his 'DEAD" charger out. I brought it home and connected a dead battery and the bloody thing fired up and started charging. I explained to the friend what I found out and he said go ahead and keep it he already replaced it with a new one. Cheapest Battery Charger I ever (didn't) buy !. 

And Yes I did once have a salvaged charger with 4 (nearly 5" square) Selenium plates fastened to the inside of the case. I presume using the metal case as heat sink. YES, they were properly electrically  isolated from that case!  I have been involved with electronics nearly all my life and can tell you what a shorted selenium rectifier smells like!!

• Like 2

Due to the era this appears to be from it is going to be a "dumb" charger. I'll bet there are no sensors of any kind in it.

It is also what would have been called a "trickle charger", as the front panel says it is capable of 2 amps. A normal battery charger of the time was usually more like 6 to 10 amps. These trickle chargers were intended to be not watched as closely as a regular battery charger, and you could leave them on a lot longer, like a few days without worrying about it too much. The downside is they take a really long time to charge a battery from completely dead. It might take a week or more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Location, location, location. 

I'm in the Midwest. Nebraska. I'll pay shipping...anyone who can afford to can reimburse me for shipping. If you can't that's ok, too. I really hate to throw this old charger in the trash, but I'm not up to trying to repair it.

44 minutes ago, RAH said:

Guys, I concur with most of the above observations BUT have you tried to connect a dead battery to this device?

I took both of my 6 volt batteries down to the battery place, and they said they were both good, but one was at about a 50% charge and the other was 30% charge or under. I tried hooking one of them up to the charger and the needle didn't move at all and it produced no heat. I just didn't want to risk hurting my good batteries with this charger. I put my batteries on my newer charger and the charged up fine. Someone who's more involved in electronics would be the person to see if this thing can be fixed. If it didn't look so 1950's or early 1960's vintage I would've thrown in in the trash. I remember my dad having this charger when I was a kid starting to drive in the mid- '70's.

• Like 1

Hope it finds a good home. It's too cool to throw out. You don't see appliance styling like that now. Wish I was capable of repairing it.

Google shows Electro-Tone made a full line of chargers and other electrical devices but, since search engines are always geared towards shopping and advertising, I couldn't find any information on the company itself. What good is information when you can't find it?!

• Like 1

A 2 amp charge will charge up a battery overnight and can be left on for longer without harm. My regular "go to" charger is an old 6 amp job that usually charges at 2 to 4 amps. I have a newer electronic charger and more powerful chargers but the little 6 amp gets the job done and I know it will not overcharge or hurt the battery.

I have put very flat batteries on this charger and the gauge did not even register. But after a few hours they started to slowly take a charge and in most cases, charged up and were good. I don't believe a new electronic charger will do this.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

If no one else wants it I would like to add it to my collection. I don't NEED another charger but hate to see it thrown out. I will pay shipping.

Thanks Rusty. I really hate to throw it out. It's one of those car things that has been around since I was a teenager. The charger belongs to Rusty so the offer is no longer open to others.

• Like 2