1932 Essex Terraplane Convertible Coupe, not mine

14 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Interesting, rare car that needs the headlights corrected and the bumpers swapped end for end.  An H-E-T expert will have to weigh-in, but I don't find any photos of 1932 Essex Terraplanes with side-mounted spares.

Without being able to access any further pics because the ad is already gone, commenting is difficult.   The grille top ornament ("Griffin") and insert (has crank hole - 32 did not) are 1933 E-Terraplane.   

1932 E-Ts are narrow track cars and true, seldom had sidemounts, however with some digging, I could post a pic of a '32 Essex Terraplane with dual sidemounts to show they were indeed available.   For 1933, with wider track, sidemounts were fairly common.

For the moment (I don't have time), I'm just not certain whether this is a 1932 or 1933 Essex Terraplane, or a combination of parts from both years.    1933 fender sides are skirted.   

Anyone happen to have saved the original ad page?

Well, here you go, one pic of a sidemount '32 E-T

1932-hudson-essex-3.jpg

• Thanks 1

1932 Essex Terraplane · Convertible · Driven 12,345 miles The owner of the Company I work has recently passed away and the family has no interest in his pride and joy 1932 Essex Terraplane. They have asked me to list it for sale and if someomeone is interested I can put them in touch with the family member for more details. They are motovated to sell it and will entertain all reasonable offers. Please message me if you have interest. Thank You

34 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Without being able to access any further pics because the ad is already gone, commenting is difficult.   The grille top ornament ("Griffin") and insert (has crank hole - 32 did not) are 1933 E-Terraplane.   

1932 E-Ts are narrow track cars and true, seldom had sidemounts, however with some digging, I could post a pic of a '32 Essex Terraplane with dual sidemounts to show they were indeed available.   For 1933, with wider track, sidemounts were fairly common.

For the moment (I don't have time), I'm just not certain whether this is a 1932 or 1933 Essex Terraplane, or a combination of parts from both years.    1933 fender sides are skirted.   

Anyone happen to have saved the original ad page?

Well, here you go, one pic of a sidemount '32 E-T

1932-hudson-essex-3.jpg

Thanks for researching the topic.  The reason I questioned whether the 1932 Essex-Terraplane had side-mounts optional was because the 1932 Essex Series E was still on the 113" wheelbase, continued the 58/58 front and rear track widths, $660 for the striper Series EC coupe.  The July 1932 introduction of the Essex-Terraplane Series K was on a 106" wheelbase, with 51.5/54.5 front and rear track widths, prices reduced to $425 for the roadster.  While dual side mounts are listed as optional for the Series E, they aren't listed for the Essex-Terraplane Series K.  The 1933 Essex-Terraplane Series K continued on the 106" wheelbase, joining the Terraplane Deluxe Six Series KU and Essex-Terraplane Eight Series KT, both on 113" wheelbases.  In the options list, single and dual side mounts were available only for the Series KU & KT.

Product photo of 1932 Essex Terraplane

Uhhhh . . . am I seeing a column shift? A Hudson single lever transmission and a firewall mounted master cylinder?

This looks more like a 1941 and up arrangement. 

Clean and shiny, but like the sidemounts, I think there is more customization to this car than appears. 

• Like 1

With no knowledge on these cars and reading the comments it seems that the owner did upgrades to the drivability? May not be all that bad of a thing if it works. I would rather have something that looks as nice as this does that can be taken out on the road than to have something that looks nice and cannot be driven. Dont worry about points and trophies, just drive the heck out of it.

13 hours ago, m-mman said:

Uhhhh . . . am I seeing a column shift? A Hudson single lever transmission and a firewall mounted master cylinder?

This looks more like a 1941 and up arrangement. 

Clean and shiny, but like the sidemounts, I think there is more customization to this car than appears. 

There are a number of “crimes” going on.

• Like 1

Yes, the '32 Hudson and the '32 Essex-Terraplane have a gas filler door on the non-sedan body styles as shown here.  So, the coupe, convertible coupe and roadster bodies have the gas filler door.

I can see that this is a '32   106" wheelbase body and fenders and narrow tread chassis.   All '32 E-Ts are Model K.   Still definitely a 1933 grille top ornament and grille insert.   The 1932 Essex-Terraplanes were advertised as "never" needing to use a crank to start them so they eliminated the hole in the grille insert.  Sales were lost in the showroom because people wanted the security of the crank availability.  Therefore, the '33 models had a crank and crank hole grille and crank hole cover.   Hey, it was the Depression and Hudson Motors thought they could save a few bucks in standard equipment.  Nice try, marketing dept.

The '33 E-T lineup also offered a 106" w.b. Model K however all '33 E-Ts were on a standard tread.

The first Hudson products with hydraulic brakes were the 1936 models and then the master cylinder was under the driver's feet.  So yes, the hydraulics on this car are an upgrade.

Agree, some modifications like the column shift and sealed beam headlight have also been added to this car in the last 90 years!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The '32 ET starter had a hex protuding from rear of starter motor.

A pully could be mounted on hex extension, then a rope wound around pulley.

Pulling on rope, similar to an early outboard boat motor.

This was effected to start the engine.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I saw a '69 Chevelle SS convertible on a trailer today in a parking lot, so I checked it out.  First thing I noticed was '350' emblems on the front fenders near the side marker lights, then the wrong style 'SS' letters with incorrect placement on the fenders.  The interior door panels had the correct SS emblems.  I don't know if the guys who were trailering it knew that it was just a Malibu convertible.  Some guy eagerly came over to shoot photos of it.  Be knowledgeable before you buy a car.