Tools to get our Antique Automobiles on the road and keep them running.

Dandy Dave

13 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

The thing you will use most often is a ball point pen to pay for stuff you'll need.

Yup. Took me over 50 Years to get the tools I have. Wore a lot pens and pencils out to get them too. And my poor aching body along with them. 🙃 

• Like 1

Nice discussion. At work sometimes when I needed a magnetic screwdriver I would just coil a piece of copper wire around the screw driver , hold one end of the wire on one post of the battery  and spark the other end on the other post a few times. Another way is to rub the screw driver one way only on a  magnet block. Did you know the earth itself is a large magnet ?

• Like 2

Nice discussion. At work sometimes when I needed a magnetic screwdriver I would just coil a piece of copper wire around the screw driver , hold one end of the wire on one post of the battery  and spark the other end on the other post a few times. Another way is to rub the screw driver one way only on a  magnet block. Did you know the earth itself is a large magnet ?

😁

I got stuff. Dandy Dave Brennan got STUFF! 😎

All about the stuff, y'all...

Can you imagine the estate sales of the people on these forums, tool forums, garage forums etc? We can only hope younger people will have some interest in our beloved stuff and continue to use and love it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rocketraider said:

😁

I got stuff. Dandy Dave Brennan got STUFF! 😎

All about the stuff, y'all...

Can you imagine the estate sales of the people on these forums, tool forums, garage forums etc? We can only hope younger people will have some interest in our beloved stuff and continue to use and love it.

I hope to find a Young Person with my Passion and Drive for the Hobby. I would give my Machine shop to them when I can no longer do it myself. They would need a large enough building or garage to set it up in. Also, I would have Access as long as I could drive there and occasionally use a machine or help with advice. No Scrapers need apply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today. A Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder. I use this occasionally. One job it worked well for was flat grinding some spacer washers for shimming a ring gear in a rear end. When I got it the automatic feed did not work. I had to machine a new gear and repair a cog to get it to work again. I even fixed the light on top that lights up when it is being used. It's a real nice one with all the bells and whistles. 

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

• Like 2

Also repaired this small cog wheel that had several teeth missing. I welded teeth back on it and machined it. Here is several videos of the Surface Grinder working after the repairs. 

https://youtu.be/e8yctRPqtP0

https://youtu.be/Try_6eqV1yc

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dandy Dave you’re definitely going to win the prize for the coolest and most toys. The neat part is we get to see them and some of the things you’ve done with them. Between you showing your tools and Ed showing us prewar cars I’m in hog heaven. Now if I can only figure out how to drive one of his cars up to see your tools I would be in absolute heaven!! 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, oldford said:

Dave, how's the snow out your way? Lots of calls for downed power lines... Be safe...

Frank

The lights flickered a little in the morning. Power was out once for only around 30 seconds. Getting ready to get the Buick Snow Master Super Shovel out to clear the driveways around the farm. This tool doubles as an engine hoist and to also move heavy parts and dead vehicles around. 😃post-44142-143138387656_thumb.jpg  

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

Dandy Dave, what  a wonderful person you are.  With all those tools and machinery.  I was refering  to the split ring spreader. It is priced like gold on evil bay. It twist the rim to one side. The ones made with the round rod pulls the rim squarely. I know for a fact a few levers with the correctly bent  tip is more suitable but sometimes it needs a 3 rd. hand. I admire all the tools you have and your abality to use them. I do not have the luxury of space. I built the workshop to enjoy restoring a vintage car when I retire. I chose the 1928 DB. because it is all nuts and bolts and few pieces of wood. Hydraulic brakes and modern design for the time. At 87 years old the car is 80 %  finished. Wasted a few hundred on incorrect parts but it keeps me away from the alcohol. Also I am vegetarian. 

A person may have the best tool and  does not know how to use it has a useless tool. The 2 ball bearings beside it  must be oiled  . It is a pity youngsters are not getting into the trade but rather pound  computer keys.      

• Thanks 1

Pity indeed. You can blame a lot of it on school systems who, when money gets tight, first thing they cut are vocational and CTE classes.

Y'all may have seen my post about a clueless 110% academic guidance counselor who had no interest in students who wanted to pursue trades education. I was glad when she retired, because after she was gone the county schools started offering more trades classes.

The new school superintendent came from a CTE background and really pushes it. Parents and kids love her, and kids are graduating high school trained, ready to start work, and making good livings.

Beat on your local school systems if needed to promote CTE. The world has too many underemployed master's degrees who have to rely on people with associates degrees to keep their modern lives running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of tire tools. Here's on that helps with stubborn tires that are stuck on rusted rims. It  is called a Bead Cheeta. The bead needs to be depressed enough to slide it in and then it is turned open with the nut on the top. I've used it enough to beat it up some. I have not seen any with this name on the market in recent years. It could have been made a little heavier duty. Others are out there. 

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

Incandescent bulbs have been mentioned here and are generally demonized in global salvation. I hate the thought of giving up the 100W bulb next to my living room chair. All winter it has given off a comforting 340 BTUH that radiates across my skin. Without that I would have had to bump my thermostat up a degree or two. An increase in the thermostat would raise the whole room temperature and run the 80,000 BTUH furnace more frequently. I guess the end of my optimizing efforts will last as long as my stash of forbidden bulbs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

An old friend of my dad's, when he heard that I was working on a 490 Chevy, gave me this vintage socket set. It came in handy with it's sockets in 32nd of an inch gradients .The old nuts and bolts have larger heads than now. 

He was once a Model T Ford mechanic in Alaska. The set was made by the Bethlehem Spark Plug Company.

Vintage socket set 001.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

I use the “rub” thing real often, and it works great. One advantage us older gents have is the amount of hoarded junk we have accumulated to scavenge for the junk we use to build more old junk. A good example of this is the number of old school radio/stereo speakers I have accumulated over the past half century. Even if  the 70 pound stereo, which drove these speakers had survived, they have lost the  golden sound they had in 1970. So, before I throw the speakers away I remove their huge magnets and stick them to the metal cabinets around my garage.

Now, when I do stuff such as restoring the upholstery, or building a new top for my old cars, I put the magnets in one of the pie tins, or plastic microwave food dishes I have saved for use as trays for tiny parts.

My fingers are a bit more clumsy than they used to be, and I have a hard time picking up the little things such as tacks, cotter keys, lock rings and other small pieces which are easily dropped, and extremely difficult to find.

The magnets help by keeping the parts from disappearing and reappearing in the tires of my car, or just vanishing all together.

They are also handy to collect the filings and shavings when placed in the vicinity of a metal piece being filed or a hole being drilled.

The best part of the whole domestic arrangement between the magnets and myself are that they are free, and given a useful life beyond their expiration date.

Jack

I too have some magnets out of old speakers that I have saved the magnets out. Plus an array of others. Hardware Magnets for cows on the farm are also good to have around. I use to get them from a friend that worked at the local slaughter house. I find the ones you can buy from tractor supply are also useful. I have one on wheels and another on a long handle. I get the thing about not wanting to climb under anymore than one would need to. I've gotten quite spoiled having the lifts to use at the place my machine shop is set up. 

• Like 3

I have a few magnets out of an old mainframe IBM disk drive. I put one under the car when I’m doing work up above. If I drop a nut or washer or heaven forbid a wrench I don’t have to look for it. I just pull the magnet out and use a pliers to remove it. It’s a big magnet. 
dave s 

• Like 1

Jack, find an old main frame disk drive and pull the two magnets out of it. They are about 10 inches long 5 inches deep and two inches thick. They touch each other and form a square with a cut out circle in the middle. They were used to retract the read/write heads on the disk. If you find a cabinet with a complete disk in it they make great storage cabinets. Just trash all the disk crap and wiring. They usually have good wheels on them also so they are mobile. I had six or seven in my old garage that I sold before our move. I wish I had them now. Came from my old computer room and actually saved the cost of having to junk them. 
dave s 

ps they are about 30”x 30” square & 40” high

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I stuck a big round magnet to the side of a toolbox about 35 years ago. I will see if it is still there when I go out this afternoon. I don't recall ever using it for anything.

Let's see. I had my garage built in 1988. It is 26' x 40' with an 8 1/2' ceiling. That is 8,840 cubic feet. That speaker magnet takes up about .074 cubic feet. Just the fact that I would look at an old speaker magnet that way speaks volumes.

Bill Knudsen was famous for accessing Ford parts manufacture by asking "How much does it weigh?" "How much space does it take up is for me. Just glad my garage doesn't have to float.

• Haha 1

Great Topic and alot of good Posts.  I helped my dad work on Mom and Dads cars from about 10 yrs old. Started handing him tools out of the toolbox .

He would be under the car describing the tool he needed in detail and showing as he went about different size wrenches and sockets and screw drivers

and such.  It didnt take long  before I could quickly hand him exactly what tool he needed and graduate to being under the car using the tools with his guidance.

When I went work full time the week after I graduated from high school in 1980 the first big purchase I made was a 200 piece full set of  Craftsman tools from 1/4 to 1"

std and metric wrenches, complete sets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive std and deep well sockets (std and metric), ratchets, extensions, pull bars, screwdrivers, Pliers, no 45 piece bit sets 

and no 10pcs of hacksaw blades and that crap. It was all good quality American made stuff. Paid $250.00 bucks. I was a mechanical draftsman not a mechanic but I worked on 

my own vehicles, boats, ect. I was proud of my tools. I had more tools of complete sets than my dad and most of the neighborhood. Best $250.00 Ive spent and still have and 

use most all of that 200 pc set. Have about 3 times the amount of hand tools now and 20 high grade electric tools, plus air tools, ect. and know how to use everything. Long story

to say I learned how to work on cars, trucks, boat engines, lawn mowers, all kinds of stuff from my dad and he taught us to care for and clean our tools. We were a do everything ourselves family, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, everything. Im 61 years and got my first old car 7 1/2 years ago - a 1925 Chrysler G70 that needed alot of mechanical work. 

and I dived right in. Didnt have to buy but a couple of tools. Had a retired machinist in our AACA club make a special J hook spanner wrench to get the threaded rear bearing and axle housing caps off and another special modified spanner wrench to get to the pinion seal on the front of the rear end housing.  Thanks to all you folks for freely sharing your knowledge and expertise on these forums. I have also became a AACA judge and have met many good friendly folks along the way all wiling to share and teach their skills. 

Thanks a Million to a great group of all you folks !!    Hope to finally get her going this fall. Its been a long haul.  CricketKJ. 

25 Rear axle seal & Brg Hub.jpg

Bearing Hub & Custom Wrench.jpg

Rear axel Outer Brg Hub.jpg

Rear outer Brg Hub Removed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back to doing valve work. The head is from a 1920's 18- 36 Huber tractor powered by a Stearns engine. 

The owner had some valves on the shelf with 1/2 inch stems and 2-1/2 inch heads. I had to do some machining to make them work.

The second photo shows the valve grinding stones and holders used to do this job. Third photo shows the driver and stone in position for grinding.

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

• Like 4

It is important to have proper stone holder guide rods to keep the stones centered correctly. I have some that are expandable. I find that these are always "on the money" if the valve seat stones are dressed correctly.

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

• Like 3

Having angle stones is also important to get a good "pattern" on the valve. It allows one to get what is called a three angle seat which is sometimes necessary. To wide of a seat is not good as the valves do not seal as well. Too narrow and they do not transfer the heat as well to cool the valves. Too high in the seat and the valves could leak. Too low and a sharp edge on the valve will lead to faster burning and valve failure. The valve seats are 45 degrees in this head. A 30 degree stone will work to narrow the top of the seat if needed and a 60 degree stone to narrow the bottom if needed. I also always lap the valves after I'm done to be sure the pattern on the valve and seat is good.

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

• Like 5

A good pattern on the valve and seat after lapping. I try to shoot for about 1/3 to 1/2 the face of the valve having this pattern. This always works well with these old and low RPM engines in our early autos and equipment. It does not take a lot of lapping to see the pattern if the valves and seats are ground correctly.

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

• Like 5