A Different Kind of Rescue Project Lost and Found!

MarkV

I love working on my cars but do any of you work on tractors? 

My grandfather passed away in the early 80s and my mom saved this Montgomery Ward Hydrostatic 16 tractor (it’s a Gilson). It ended up locked in a shed until about 2009 when we hauled it out and repaired it. My mom didn’t have room for it and we ended up selling it to a guy in January 2010.

Life happened and I graduated from college twice, got married, had a kid, everyone got older, but I couldn’t stop thinking about the tractor.

in January 2023 I was cleaning out my emails and on a whim I attempted to contact the guy who had it, I had regretted selling it for years. Sadly the number was no good, so I did some sleuthing and found his LinkedIn and messaged him, he called me back and said to come down and pick it up the following weekend!

I was so excited rented a uhaul and trailer and went down to the farmland in Riverside County (yes there are farms in southern ca). He loaded it up and I expected him to take the money I brought and he just gave it to me! He said it never was meant to not be mine. I couldn’t believe it! 

On my ride home I drove it by my grandfather’s grave and finally it came home to me!

Im working on painting it currently and I have a decal kit with all the decals. The oil and transmission fluid are still clean and the tires hold air. I cleaned out the gas tank and have to wire a new ignition and the headlight switch and change the oil and then we will be firing it up! 

The funny thing is the data plate I removed 13 years ago I still have and I returned it to its rightful spot yesterday! 

F152929E-A866-4A07-ACAC-7CD1654E8D7E.jpeg

2D7BB93D-1B70-427D-8989-7D4580B6676F.jpeg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Nice story, I have a car I sold that I'd like to find and buy back. 

Bob

Man don't we all. I had a Model T for 20 years I never should have sold though a lot of cars get sacrificed to climb the ladder to get to the next best thing as @auburnseekersaid in another thread. So Bob, what would you get back if you could?

48 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Man don't we all. I had a Model T for 20 years I never should have sold though a lot of cars get sacrificed to climb the ladder to get to the next best thing as @auburnseekersaid in another thread. So Bob, what would you get back if you could?

A Two Man race car from the 1930's, the remains were given to me, frame rails grille shell, cowl and tail in two pieces. Run or raced into the ground. Traced its history back to about 1952 in SCCA. Sold it and bought is back for the same money, then sold it a second time. It got a so so driver restoration than fell off the map. NEVER sell a race car without doing all the research you can. 

I used to have this great customer, a really neat guy. He was a WW2 veteran with some good stories (drove trucks), loved to talk, I really liked that fella. Anyway, he was a big fan of the Montgomery Ward store, which was 45 minutes away. Each year he would load up his riding mower and carry it all the way over there to get serviced. Gave him an excuse to chat with the staff, which he loved to do. This makes me think of him.

• Like 2

Speaking of Montgomery Ward. This 1949 BF Avery tractor was purchased new at the local MW store. They sold the Wards Twin-Row tractors made by Cletrac originally then the Avery tractors when the design was purchased by BF Avery and sold as the model A. I restored this tractor about 30 years ago and still own it.

20210717_090820[1].jpg

Edited by pkhammer
bad wording (see edit history)
  • Like 6

It's nice when a plan comes together. I like tractors. I've had a lot of them and still have a few. Well, maybe more...🙃

1939 John Deere A. 1960 Fordson Power Major with PS, Live PTO, and a remote hydraulics with snap in ports. Recently brought a 620 John Deere home also. 

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5092 (1).JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

From the serial # can you determine when it was manufactured?  I still have a 1959 John Deere 140 H3 that my father purchased new along with a new 730 Diesel row crop.

I ran a 730 Diesel with Direct Electric start and a wide front years ago. Inherent problem with those is after some long hours the flywheel would loosen on the crankshaft splines to the point that it could not be tightend. The local fellows I worked for at the time were able to get an aftermarket flywheel that had a taper lock affair that would grab it better. I ran it on a Shulte rock picker and had my hands full. It was an older version of the machine seen in this video. We used it after clearing land.

Great job on the little Mont. Ward tractor. I have a 1970 cub cadet that dad bought new, in my barn. I grew up cutting our yard with it as well as making money cutting yards in the neighborhood (how many kids do that today?) Every summer I tell myself its going to be my winter restoration project, just havent got there yet. Maybe someday. And BTW, I got my drivers license at Montgomery Ward, True story!

• Like 1