Model A - to California and back

Restorer32

Recently purchased a 1929 Model A Coupe.  The widow who owned it said she and her husband bought it in 1959 and drove it to California and back home to the East Coast. He later took the car all apart down to the bare frame with intent to restore it but like a lot of these projects he never got "a round tuit". She made us promise not to sell it to anyone who intended to hot rod it. No idea what we are going to do with it.  We bought it mostly to help the lady out.  Likely store it away until we get that elusive "round tuit".

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Recently purchased a 1929 Model A Coupe.

My first A was almost a 29 coupe.  Had a deal made, then the seller reneged wanting to make it a package deal with a 30 Tudor parts car for more money - I passed.  Anyway, I always liked the looks of the 28-29 coupes.  Is it a Special Coupe with the fabric covering on the roof rear quarters?

28-coupe-special.jpg

Or a Standard Coupe without covering?  I can't recall which came first but I think both were produced for at least part of 1929.

• Like 1

In the past, I would have never dreamed of owning a Ford Model A but I have been softening my stance quite a bit, as of late.

When we would attend swap meets of old car gatherings, my Dad would look at the sea of Model As and say, "Model As are like elbows and a$$holes, everybody's got one".

And he would love that not another Rickenbacker would be at any event we attended.

But, I think the sheer availability of parts is what is changing my mind.

Having one as a daily driver would be great and I can buy just about any part out of a catalogue.

Sourcing parts for a Model A would be a 180 degree difference from sourcing parts for my current pre-war cars.

And besides, if my A broke down on the road, I could go back home, grab my Pierce, put the A in the back seat and get it home safely. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

that is so true,i would go to sales or shows and say .....ugh.....more model A and Ts ! .....and avoided....and actually ive been into antique cars all my life and never driven one or been a passenger until last year [model A]........and my friend said WHAT!.......'never driven one?'......i said nope.....seriously........so off we went ...me driving .....it was great !

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

that is so true,i would go to sales or shows and say .....ugh.....more model A and Ts ! .....and avoided....and actually ive been into antique cars all my life and never driven one or been a passenger until last year [model A]........and my friend said WHAT!.......'never driven one?'......i said nope.....seriously........so off we went ...me driving .....it was great !

Now the cruise nights are overrun with Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs. Even for a diehard GM guy like me, it's a treat to see a nice correct Model A.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zepher said:

In the past, I would have never dreamed of owning a Ford Model A but I have been softening my stance quite a bit, as of late.

When we would attend swap meets of old car gatherings, my Dad would look at the sea of Model As and say, "Model As are like elbows and a$$holes, everybody's got one".

And he would love that not another Rickenbacker would be at any event we attended.

Having one as a daily driver would be great and I can buy just about any part out of a catalogue.

Sourcing parts for a Model A would be a 180 degree difference from sourcing parts for my current pre-war cars.

And besides, if my A broke down on the road, I could go back home, grab my Pierce, put the A in the back seat and get it home safely. :D

And some folks have one for each elbow, knee, etc. ;) I love rare cars but no way I'd own one, precisely because of parts availability.  Yes, you can get most any Model A part new or used with a few exceptions (just try to find the unobtanium rear quarter molding for the aforementioned Special Coupe).  Because Model A are so common, they're relatively inexpensive, again with the exception of a few rare body styles.  Properly restored and maintained they're reliable daily drivers and if one happens to get totaled, it's a lot easier to replace than a Rickenbacker or a Pierce Arrow.  They have an extensive owner base and arguably are the most documented antique car, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage.  The knowledge helps with restoration/maintenance but when the size, finish, etc of every nut and bolt is known, there's no margin for error when it comes to show judging.

• Like 2

One way of looking at it that there are so many Model A's out there, and unfortunately their owners are dying off leaving them to younger generations. A lot of these folks are now getting into the hobby that may never had done so before. We see/hear it all the time on forums-"My grandfather passed and we inherited hos Model A" Then the questions start. Some sell, some get hooked. If you are going to inherit an antique car what better than a Model A with so many resources out there. My dad left me a 1919 Chandler-in pieces no less and its the complete opposite with resources. I often joke that really Dad, you couldn't have picked up an old Ford instead?

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Model A - to California and back
18 hours ago, zepher said:

Plus, if you breakdown anywhere in the US or Canada, there's another A owner within a few minutes drive who can help you. 

• Like 4