Central Canada in the bush at a car place

arcticbuicks

I still wonder about this car ,it was too formed to be home made,and appeared to be factory trim,entered car in the middle from the back kind of hatchback down between front bucket seats ......like entering a airplane cockpit to sit down,i wondered if it was amphibious also ,as for size the 'thing' is huge approx 8-9 feet wide and around 30 feet long ......possibly longer,if there was something beside it to compare the size would be better,even the cab body area is far larger than say a chevy coupe,I will have to go back and do more pictures if no one can ID it

007.JPG

Edited by arcticbuicks
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 2

i dont know if i want it lol .....it looks like a big shoe ! ,its for sure late 1930s maybe barely into 1940s,it has some interesting features in the interior.......possibly a futuristic movie car build of the 1930s ? if it was a one only build it would have to have cost a lot and it appears stamped body panels ,i didnt recognize anything having been made from other car brands,everything appears to be of some alien brand

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

oh i never thought of a land speedster..........i was hoping a famous 1930s art deco designer build prototype futuristic show car left over from Detroit auto show..... long since missing and presumed destroyed.................and i could drag it into Pebble Beach and get $4 million dollar offers ?.....no ?.......maybe .....LOL

• Haha 4

I thought possibly a amphibious car as it closes up quite tight and no side doors,and side skirts for rear wheels etc......i dont know if it had lights but dosnt appear to have had ,but i think there are few things under front hidden by grass.......its extremely low too even though its sunk...... you can probably see the huge recessed hood about 11 feet back lol from the  front with tree branch over it .land speedster makes way more sense than amphibious ,im sure it is finished smooth underneath also which made me think amphibious,the back is curved with more styled detail than the front.......i will have to check if it has or maybe had a tail at the back,speed record racers here used fresh frozen lakes and its close to one of the longest lakes [200 miles] that did actually have ice racing back then but this is beyond that caliber.....if it didnt come from the US......bonneville is about 2000 miles away ....but the worlds fastest indian traveled there from australia so why couldnt this thing.it had to be a high dollar build and quality and appears to have been used but very good if not excellent body condition

• Thanks 1

yeah thats the idea .......kind of........i will have to go back  and get more pictures in spring as were in the dead of winter and it will have a 7 foot snow drift over it right now and the wheels frozen in the dirt,i did buy 7 cool cars there in the past though,1936 chevys including a Canadian 3 window coupe with rumble seat and continental spare,1939 chevy 5 window coupe and several Canadian 53 pontiac 2 door HT.....i hope this thing didnt go to the shredder last few years

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

I still wonder about this car ,it was too formed to be home made,and appeared to be factory trim,entered car in the middle from the back kind of hatchback down between front bucket seats ......like entering a airplane cockpit to sit down,i wondered if it was amphibious also ,or made by aircraft company,I will have to go back and do more pictures if no one can ID it

007.JPG

I have a couple of Art Deco streamlined tanker trucks from the 1934 to 1942 era and the tanks are fabricated in a similar manner to this vehicle.  Lead is used at all panel seams for filler.  When you go back check and see if the lighter grey seams are lead.  This is a very cool vehicle but I’m betting its a one off advertising vehicle like a McQuay-Norris streamliner (see Hemings article on recent sale at the Mark Smith auction). There were a number of obscure Art Deco streamlined vehicles built in the 1930s mostly as advertising platforms for oil companies (tanker trucks), beer companies (delivery trucks), and many other publicity hungry companies looking for the extra edge…

Edited by kar3516 (see edit history)

yes a advertising vehicle i thought of too,but in rural remote Canada ? .......and even in Canada just dosnt fit.......the fact that it has no lights or bumpers makes me think not a street car,even back then basic light would be required?...........i think the brightwork mouldings cover the body seams,and the original metalwork is very well done,i just might have to give him $500 for it maybe.

I do still see the odd art deco short single axle semi trailer or old bus around here in remote locations on farms etc

thats very cool,and yes i have seen similar,i will have to think of one for you ,i know of a tanker trailer for large truck kind of this style and the front has wide chrome art deco strips wrapping the front and another moving van type but huge.......in my 40 years of car hunting still quite a rare sight though,i did save a 42 GMC  all original cement truck in amazing condition from the crusher that was art deco,it went 2000 miles to a big cement company that restored it 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:16 PM, JACK M said:

I don't care what it is, I want it for the ongoing yard art competition in in my neighborhood.

Where is it? will it at least roll?

In Portland, you'll find people living in them!!

Craig

• Haha 3

On 1/1/2023 at 6:06 PM, arcticbuicks said:

several Canadian 53 pontiac 2 door HT

OK now you have my attention LOL. I'd like a 53 Pathfinder with stickshift someday, though I imagine that would be a sedan. Are these 2 doors in derelict shape?

yes not great,but one has great body near zero rust,they are column standard shift,the place i know of in Saskatchewan has maybe 15 very good complete 53 Pontiac 2 doors and half are HT,and sedan delivery and wagons,probably better place to buy and extra aprts too.......where are you from ?

Wenatchee, WA. About 230km south of the BC border. I've had a thing for the 53 Canadian Pontiacs for years. My first car was a 53 stickshift Chevy, and I'm sort of a flathead Pontiac nut now. Pathfinder might be one of the greatest car names ever. It's a Chevy chassis with a flathead Pontiac engine. It is the cheap end of the Canadian Pontiac line, but that's OK. I think I even like the cheapest one with only the little chrome dart on the side best. I am not in the market right now, although It is on my bucket list. I'd have to find one that is mostly together, as I no longer have the ability to tackle a complete restoration.

yes,i had one for parts,it had delete everything lol....one inside windshield visor factory,no horn ring on steering wheel just center button,it didnt even have arm rest door pull.....had to pull door closed by window crank,rubber splash aprons and no chrome window trim.....rubber floor.......more than plain door panels.....not a single strip of chrome down the side........just a absolute spartan plain car haha.........i kind of liked it ......a absolute deleted car of anything extra

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

yes,i had one for parts,it had delete everything lol....one inside windshield visor factory,no horn ring on steering wheel just center button,it didnt even have arm rest door pull.....had to pull door closed by window crank,rubber splash aprons and no chrome window trim.....rubber floor.......more than plain door panels.....not a single strip of chrome down the side........just a absolute spartan plain car haha.........i kind of liked it ......a absolute deleted car of anything extra

Got pictures of it?

It may have been a 'fleet' car.

Craig

i sold it in the fall to a guy using it for parts.........i think the very base models were like that and did see a similar chev 150 model like it too.i may have a picture here among hundreds of parts car pics lol

6 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

Less chrome than this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this is a Pathfinder, and if it had the 2-level chrome on the side like a USA Pontiac I think it would be a Pathfinder Deluxe, but I really don't know. We saw so few Canadian cars south of the border back in the day.

i may know of one near driver quality,and they are around ,see one advertised now and again..........if you look on "KIJIJI" classic cars ,look Manitoba Saskatchewan ,Alberta.......Ontario and east is rust belt region and only the stainless trim will be left on the ground.........in Canada everyone uses kijiji site except Vancouver area.......the US seems to be craigslist

• Like 1

i think the only reason there are some around.......is how could you drive one hard trying to shift 3 on the tree and armstrong steering and manual brakes......what a chore ! and 2-3 years later cars with power everything came out.........i think they got outdated fast and parked low milage 

• Like 1

Looks like a prop from the Twilight Zone.

What ever it is it should probably be preserved.   I have no idea what it's worth,  if anything.   It's provenance would probably determine its value.

Too bad there weren't more pictures.

rod-serling-twilight-zone-weird.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AHa said:

Definitely not worthless and well worth saving.

Canadian Pontiacs (along with 'Plodges', Monarchs and Meteors, etc.) get a lot of "Huh??" reactions when someone from the US sees one for the first time.  This can is seen without fail every year at MCACN in Chicago when a Beaumont SD396, or an Acadian with a 327 is on display.  Sometimes that is the value of saving one, regardless of the trim level.   It's different for those in Canada who are denied certain US market cars, as all the US publications are available on newsstands in Canada, which makes readers familiar with a particular car even though they hardly ever see one.  1960's Dodge Lancers, and Custom 880's come to mind as they were never marketed in Canada.   As far as I know, very few Canadian publications that have advertising for exclusively Canadian cars rarely show up on newsstands in the US, which would make them unfamiliar to those in the United States.

Craig

5 hours ago, AHa said:

Definitely not worthless and well worth saving.

If anything we could move it to the desert and film neighbors discovering it while we claim it to be something that landed overnight. Sure to make headline news if we promote the story on youtube, then the value might be astronomical if we get enough genZer's on board ;) 

• Haha 3

On 1/1/2023 at 10:54 AM, arcticbuicks said:

I still wonder about this car ,it was too formed to be home made,and appeared to be factory trim,entered car in the middle from the back kind of hatchback down between front bucket seats ......like entering a airplane cockpit to sit down,i wondered if it was amphibious also ,or made by aircraft company,I will have to go back and do more pictures if no one can ID it

007.JPG

Not sure what the vegetation rate is in that part of Canada but it looks like there's little or new growth around it. Makes me think it was placed there recently...

Is the owner of the property willing to discuss how it got there? That may lend some good clues.

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Canadian Pontiacs (along with 'Plodges', Monarchs and Meteors, etc.) get a lot of "Huh??" reactions when someone from the US sees one for the first time.  This can is seen without fail every year at MCACN in Chicago when a Beaumont SD396, or an Acadian with a 327 is on display.  Sometimes that is the value of saving one, regardless of the trim level.   It's different for those in Canada who are denied certain US market cars, as all the US publications are available on newsstands in Canada, which makes readers familiar with a particular car even though they hardly ever see one.  1960's Dodge Lancers, and Custom 880's come to mind as they were never marketed in Canada.   As far as I know, very few Canadian publications that have advertising for exclusively Canadian cars rarely show up on newsstands in the US, which would make them unfamiliar to those in the United States.

Craig

Plodges, etc. are historically pretty popular up here in the PNW. Almost never seen but well liked.