Trying to Recall Title of Book from Grade School - Race Involving Antique Car

3macboys

This has been bugging me for awhile.  I've been trying to recall the title of a book that I remember reading around about grade 4 or 5. This was the mid 70's if that helps.   It was a bit of a tortoise and hare story of a young fellow racing an antique car against the poplar kid and his hot car of some sort.  I want to say that either the author or main character was Homer Brown but so far I'm coming up empty on any searches.  

A book that age was discussed awhile back on this forum. I believe the title was "The Red Car". I think there were a couple books of similar titles, a quick Google search found "The Red Car" by Don Stanford published originally in 1954. I think that was the book I read when I was in the fifth grade. The one I read had an older mechanic helping the boy restore an MG, and eventually racing it in a local contest.

I don't know if that is the one you are looking for or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A book that age was discussed awhile back on this forum. I believe the title was "The Red Car". I think there were a couple books of similar titles, a quick Google search found "The Red Car" by Don Stanford published originally in 1954. I think that was the book I read when I was in the fifth grade. The one I read had an older mechanic helping the boy restore an MG, and eventually racing it in a local contest.

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

There was one I recall reading, and the character's names were 'Woody Ahern', and his buddy 'Pooch'.  "Road Rockets"(?) was the title?

Craig

Thanks for the leads Wayne and Craig,  the book that I'm thinking of, or at least as I recall it involved a 20's or 30's big touring car, the exact make escapes me but I seem to recall it was a high end make.  I can picture exactly where it was on the shelf of the school library but do you think that I can remember the title!

Don

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Read that book as a kid, the old mechanic that helped the kid restore the MG was a former Bugatti mechanic. Always thought that was neat since I later worked at a Bugatti restoration shop. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 3:15 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I had a copy of that book 50 yrs ago!

A friend in grade school years had a book titled (I think) "T-Model Tommy"

I never read it, but believe it was early 1950s era.

There were so many books written for teenage boys surrounding automobiles. They were writing some of them in the 1910s, and continued well into the 1970s. Numerous series were written, including the "Motor Boys" that continued to be published for decades. 

The added details aren't ringing any bells for me. Doesn't sound like any book I am familiar with. "Cheaper By The Dozen" was almost a literary classic, based upon real people that made contributions to the changing times, and a wonderful 1950 movie classic! But nothing in the story line that sounds like what you are looking for.

Good luck! I hope you find it.

Not the one you are thinking of but when my granddaughter was about 6 or 7 she really enjoyed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. 

It's not just like the movie and the interesting thing: written by Ian Fleming! 

Maybe 007's Bentleys and DBs are where the ideas for Chitty's gadgets came from!

On 12/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, 3macboys said:

I can picture exactly where it was on the shelf of the school library but do you think that I can remember the title!

Don

The fact that you remember the book shows it made an impression on you. And that's what books are designed to do.

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

Not the one you are thinking of but when my granddaughter was about 6 or 7 she really enjoyed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. 

It's not just like the movie and the interesting thing: written by Ian Fleming! 

My youngest daughter too, she still likes watching it and she's 54!