Like to recognize Bhigdog for his machining skills and willingness to help others.

dl456

Like to recognize Bhigdog for his machining skills and willingness to help others.

He just completed another project for me and I know he has helped numerous others on this forum.

He does not do this as a business but rather to help out.

His approach takes me back to the earlier days of the hobby.

Who is your forum guru or how has this forum and it’s members helped you complete a project

Thanks Bob

Dennis

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Dennis great call out for Bhigdog!

Had a lot of help, encouragement and kindness from forum folks over the years.  Recently got a winter's  worth of the Classic Car from David Coco and a real nice "carwarming gift" from another member when we got the Packard.  He knows who he is, and it is a nice collectible and gesture of friendship. 

Lots of other things - all in all a great group!! 😊

• Like 4

I haven’t received any physical help or gifts, trinkets, etc., but the advice I received you can’t beat. Reading advice from/to fellow members has broadened my knowledge also. Finally, the frequent advice given by one dealer here has been super valuable.

Thank you to all who helped expand my knowledge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Over 60 people helped me fix the 38 after I stopped using the back end of a Mercedes Benz!  Bhingdog (Bob) was one of them. Plus Ed of Edinmass fame fixed my distributor in about 15 minutes after I spent weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. The help in the form of good advice from many has been great. The best part is I feel I’ve gotten to know many of these kind people well enough to call them friends. Now if I can just convince Dave’s wife to adopt me so I can get access to his tools and knowledge I’ll be super happy. 
dave s 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have been fortunate to receive lots of help from many people here. And I try to return the favor when possible. And then there is the countless bottles of fine Canadian Rye that have been sent my way from many kind members. Merry Christmas to all…….and a Happy New Year. Ed

• Like 6

I had made a few things for DL456 in the past so he asked for my help again.

He needed a fuel gauge bezel and retaining ring for his 1922 Haynes. Since it was  made of 100 year old pot metal all that was left of the original bezel was 8 pieces. The retaining ring was gone.

He glued the 8 pieces together and mailed them to me hoping I could divine the correct dimensions and make a usable part. Although the parts are not large it was a fussy job with both internal and external fine threads and other than the measurable thread pitch, I could only guess at correct dimensions.

I used 6061 T-6 aluminum for both the bezel and retaining ring. Holding the parts for machining was a bit of a challenge and I had to make a threaded mandrel to hold the bezel.

The bezel finished at 2.312" dia  outer rim and a 2" dia X 24 pitch threaded body. The retainer is 1.750" dia X 24 pitch treads to screw into the bezel body. I finished the parts with a lite bead blast finish.

I sent the parts off hoping for the best and Dennis reports they "fit like a glove"

It was actually a bit of a thrill knowing that I had "restored" a part for a 100 year old car and I was holding what is possibly the only one in existence.

Below is the sample, my chicken scratch dimensions, and the finished parts..................Bob

20221212_193013.jpg

20221210_104542.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 19

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Like to recognize Bhigdog for his machining skills and willingness to help others.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, Bhigdog said:

I had made a few things for DL456 in the past so he asked for my help again.

He needed a fuel gauge bezel and retaining ring for his 1922 Haynes. Since it was  made of 100 year old pot metal all that was left of the original bezel was 8 pieces. The retaining ring was gone.

He glued the 8 pieces together and mailed them to me hoping I could divine the correct dimensions and make a usable part. Although the parts are not large it was a fussy job with both internal and external fine threads and other than the measurable thread pitch, I could only guess at correct dimensions.

I used 6061 T-6 aluminum for both the bezel and retaining ring. Holding the parts for machining was a bit of a challenge and I had to make a threaded mandrel to hold the bezel.

The bezel finished at 2.312" dia  outer rim and a 2" dia X 24 pitch threaded body. The retainer is 1.750" dia X 24 pitch treads to screw into the bezel body. I finished the parts with a lite bead blast finish.

I sent the parts off hoping for the best and Dennis reports they "fit like a glove"

It was actually a bit of a thrill knowing that I had "restored" a part for a 100 year old car and I was holding what is possibly the only one in existence.

Below is the sample, my chicken scratch dimensions, and the finished parts..................Bob

20221212_193013.jpg

20221210_104542.jpg

No one knows sometimes what we have to guess at while machining parts with only half of the puzzel. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1