"HELP" - 1941 Buick Century 4 dr that was for sale early this year in Syracuse Ny

billbuickgs

Right now its getting some work done which was needed badly

replaced gas tank 

rebuilt carbs

fuel line 

Rront and rear main seals

complete brake overhaul 

cleaned sludge out of oil pan

new exhaust system . 
new wheel bearings

all new tune up  

painted motor

Manifolds all cleaned and ceramic coated for heat and to prevent rust . 

then deciding on keeping it or selling it .. 

Edited by BuickTom87 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Yeah, so just going through the whole car and getting things taken care of to enjoy it and maybe do a road trip with it to another state or national meet . 

Yeah small but annoying gremlins , now I know why it was parked for like a decade . Redoing the whole fuel system, from the tank to  the carburetors, especially since theres pin holes at top of the tank. So you can only at most have a half a Tank at a time otherwise it leaks like a faucet . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rock10 said:

The more things we fix, the more things we find that need fixed. :)

That's the 'sorting-out' process.  I'm doing the same with my '38.  Good news is you get to drive it as part of the process.  My list is finally getting shorter!  ;)

• Like 2

Yeah the main problems are also correcting other owners laziness or lack of detail. While pulling the carburetors noticed they used the wrong gaskets that mounted to the manifold which caused leaks 

I agree, just going through it so it’ll be safer and ease the mind that it’s capable of a road trip, especially leaving the 5 boroughs of New York 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BuickTom87 said:

Yeah the main problems are also correcting other owners laziness or lack of detail.

The previous owners usually aren't lazy enough. Some of you easterners may remember Dick Walther's blue 1949 Cadillac convertible. It was one of two cars purchased from Chuck August, the founder of Monroe Muffler. I serviced it for the buyer to flip. It was the best car I ever worked on. There were no signs of anything beyond minor repairs and few of those. It was a pleasure to work on, drive, and ride over a bumpy road. Rare to find.

The buyer offered it to me and I made the mistake of passing on the deal. Later he said he made two mistakes with that car. 1. He sold it. 2. He sold it too cheap.

Be happy when you realize you are the first one fixing a component.

Just sent everything off to classic tube to get remade 

all the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs . As well as all the other metal lines in the bay since most of them were all kinked . 

hoping for positive results .  Now it awaits for

more parts to get it back on the road . 

726AA1CD-7964-42D2-81AA-0EF4F3B33C1D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the generators are universal for 37-38 and 41. I have a fully restored 37 Buick 320 generator was wondering if I can put that on my 41 ? 

37 and 38 are different. 38 hangs upside down, so the mounting ears will be reversed. Electrically they should match.

1941 is likely to be completely different. I would expect a 2-brush generator with a 3 unit regulator, since it was after the advent of sealed beams.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m considering sending the dash out to get wood grained to bring it back to close to as it left the factory as possible ! 

Also need some help , after going through the car getting it ready for spring car shows . I noticed the material that’s in the air filter “ oil bath” tank. When I went to clean the and repaint the air cleaner assembly it was all disintegrated. What could I put in there as an alternative. 

I’m definitely coming , I’m on vacation that week . I’m waiting for my enclosed trailer to be done . I plan on bringing one of my Buicks . Either my 29 38 maybe this one . 

• Like 1

Need to keep an eye on the diameter of the pulley.  The 1940 series cars had two diameter pulleys.  Not a lot of difference between them, but done so for a reason:

image.png.f61b59f074cfb90c287b1a354689b7e6.png

A is the pulley diameter, B is the width at the top of the belt.

• Like 1

Thank you for everyone’s help. Now it’s time to figure out what to swap out the material in the air cleaner . Since it’s completely shot . I gotta call bobs since they had the new material for my 38 air cleaner . 

I don’t see why not , would I have to oil it . I’m gonna give it a try and see how it works . Stuff a bunch of them in there and pack it . 

Yes, I would pack it in like the original, then tip the cover upside-down and oil it.  Then, flip it right-side up and let it drain into the air cleaner base.  Lastly, fill the base with 50W oil (I have used 30W before as well) up to the 'full' mark.