Ultrasonic Cleaner For Carburetors

Rock10

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I have found them useless. A vapor hone cabinet is a much better choice.......especially for pre war cars. 

Kinda out of my price range.

My piece is clean, just has crap stuck in a small tube. I thought the ultrasonic might shake it loose.

Edited by Rock10 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldtech said:

I just ordered one, a 10 liter size...

What brand did you buy and from where?  10L is a hefty size - from the little I've read so far, it sounds like it will take awhile for the solvent to get up to temperature.  I am tentatively considering something closer to 1 gallon (~4L) size...

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

What brand did you buy and from where?  10L is a hefty size - from the little I've read so far, it sounds like it will take awhile for the solvent to get up to temperature.  I am tentatively considering something closer to 1 gallon (~4L) size...

I saw online that they filled them with hot water from a kettle.

• Like 1

I have a big L&R ultrasonic cleaner. Probably well over 10L. 2 gallons fills it about halfway. It cost about $500 15 yrs ago and now I think they are a kilobuck. It has a built in heater if you want to preheat but after 10 mins of vibration the liquid will be plenty hot. I use L&R #677 Waterless Cleaner. If you are ok with water based cleaner it is cheaper but it contains strong ammonia. If you use 677 also get the rinse since you have to wash it off. You can use a water rinse but you have to dry it immediately.

I originally got it for large clock movements. When I got back into cars I also started using it on carbs if they are very bad. My procedure is to use ChemDip first and just soak for a few hours. If there is still crud and signs of passage crud or blockage then I go to the ultrasonic. Usually 15 mins does it but another 15 mins may be required for stubborn cases. So far that has always been successful. I also use the ultrasonic on smaller car parts.

Auto parts crud up the cleaner solution pretty quick compared to clock movements so every so often I filter it thru paper towels or filter paper to remove the crud.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:59 PM, edinmass said:

I have found them useless

I have not!😄

They work well. Takes a while, but so did the old chem dip 5 gallon bucket as the solution aged. I also use soda blasting,  vapor blasting without the wetness. 🤔

Average hobbiest can afford a new or used ultrasonic,  only professionals like you can afford fancy deluxe vapor blasting cabinets. 😄 Now when vapor blasting cabinets sell used for $200 people will ask about them on this forum. 👍

I use a variety of soaps/detergent in mine. For carburetors I use a liquid such as Simple Green. For small amounts of parts I put them in mason jars instead of dirtying the whole tank as mine is 9.5L. You do need a full tank of water or damage to the unit can happen. 

• Like 1

Frank…….a local shop has a vapor unit, so I just borrow it when needed. If one had all the shop equipment one needs, the shop would need to be 10k square feet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Before the EPA made them go away Gunk made a dip kit called Hydro-Seal that ate varnish for breakfast.  I could put a set of carburetor castings in the basket and submerge for about a half hour and they came out spotless.  I had the big 5-gallon kit and used it to clean lots of stuff other than carburetors.  That was then and this is now.  The EPA got after the active ingredient and first you couldn't dispose of it and soon after you couldn't buy it.

• Like 1

It was a methyl/ethyl/ketone cocktail of some sort with a layer of water over the top to keep it from evaporating.  Very sweet smelling, don't dip you hands in it... 

They still sell a watered-down version of the kit but last I knew it was not nearly as effective as the original formulation sold in 1.75 and 5 gallon kits in a blue and orange can.

Haz-mat sheets may be available for this new version if anyone cares to research.

Gunk.png

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

It was a methyl/ethyl/ketone cocktail of some sort with a layer of water over the top to keep it from evaporating.  Very sweet smelling, don't dip you hands in it... 

They still sell a watered-down version of the kit but last I knew it was not nearly as effective as the original formulation sold in 1.75 and 5 gallon kits in a blue and orange can.

Haz-mat sheets may be available for this new version if anyone cares to research.

Gunk.png

That looks like what I had. Used it for years. The bucket eventualy corroded and I but it in a plastic bucket until the bottom of it cracked and it leaked all over the floor. :(

I bought some of the new stuff.

Can't tell you how good it worked because the carb was clean before going in.

It didn't clear the clogs in my accelerator pump tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

I repair outboard boat motors and probably have rebuilt 1000 carburetors, I use to use the Gunk stuff mentioned above, it was the best, then I couldn't find it anymore. I tried a lot of other things and really did not have much luck. So I purchased an ultra sonic cleaner on Amazon and found it to be useless as someone else mentioned, I returned it. Maybe if you spend a bunch of money for a good one they might work but mine ($100) pretty much did nothing. jmo

• Like 1