Ex–Lyndon B. Johnson 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible (BAT)

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

LBJ was known to have been a real "lead-foot" including using his Lincolns off-road on his ranch.   Chances are this convertible was subjected to some pretty hard use when he was behind the wheel.

I remember him being stopped for going 100mph on a Texas highway with a can of beer in his hand. The beer was not illegal at the time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

LBJ was known to have been a real "lead-foot" including using his Lincolns off-road on his ranch.   Chances are this convertible was subjected to some pretty hard use when he was behind the wheel.

The picture looks like he is having a good time, the fellows in the back looked hunkered down and holding on for dear life!!

4 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I remember him being stopped for going 100mph on a Texas highway with a can of beer in his hand. The beer was not illegal at the time. 

Drinking and driving (poorly) in his Lincolns was a recurring theme for LBJ. The documentaries about LBJ that I've seen claimed he would have Secret Service follow him in a chase car with a bottle of booze. When his glass was empty he'd stop, roll down the window enough to stick his glass out, and an agent would rush over to the Lincoln and refill the glass. Then he'd speed off again. I won't get into the politics of LBJ, per forum rules, but on a personal level he had some characteristics I didn't respect. Then again...I could say that about a lot of presidents.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

So LBJ's ass is worth $125,000

I don't think it's worth anything and anyone associated with the USS Liberty would agree. If you don't know what I'm talking about you owe it to the crew to do some research. 

• Like 1