1950 Buick Special 41D Daily Driver

I want to send a big "THANKS" out to avgwarhawk for coordinationg the purchase of this car with me and the owner.  avgwarhawk posted a couple of pictures of this car on this forum and suggested that someone buy this, get it straightened out mechanically, and DRIVE  IT!  I plan to do just that.  Here it is, on the trailer, ready to come home.  Just a note for anyone doing this:

I planned 3 hours, 1 to drive down, 1 to load, 1 to drive back.  It took twice that, because, everyone loves an old car and they want to talk, look, and touch.  So, make an allowance for "spectator enthusiasm".  As you can see, the body is straight with no rust holes, rockers too.  Front floors are rotted out because door seals, windows, or something allowed water inside and rotted the floors, but, it doesn't smell like a basement.  Runs, but a lifter or two is tapping, dynaflow works but leaks, no brakes, but emergency brake is fine.  It drove up on the trailer, so, she goes.  Plan to dig into the brakes first, then, I can tag it and go on a shake down run and make a list.  I think I figured out why the paint is always worn off of these old Buicks.  When you stand next to them, you can't help but trace the curves with you hands, and that's everyone that stands next to it.  Okay, here we go!

'50 Buick on the trailer.jpg

• Like 11

That’s awesome that you are going to daily drive it ! My 1934 Dodge coupe sat since 1967 I had to re ring it new rods and main bearings brakes hoses wheel cylinders and other things Been daily driving since August What a blast ! I love it almost time to put it away for winter goods luck with your Buick! John

7EF30C3E-EEF6-4227-A758-8083BCE407E1.jpeg

0879127A-0E60-40E5-B2B2-9B832D4E09DC.jpeg

• Like 3

Great score!  Just like mine except for transmission.

I'll bet a bit of wet sanding with 600 grit will make that ol girl look good.

You might drop on down to the Buick forums to  Me and My Buick and start a thread.  A lot of the Buick folk there.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I remember my 50 "Toby" refurbishing days. This one 3X times in better condition. You can look it up on "Meet Toby, my 1950 model 51" on the "Me and my Buick" thread. Thanks Chris and Sonomatic for saving another Buick and keeping the heritage going.

• Like 2

Thank you for all of your replies.  I really enjoyed Toby's thread.  Like avgwarhawk suggested, I'm going to make it mechanically sound and drive it. It needs brakes, the muffler is rusted out, the Dynaflow leaks, a lifter or two are tapping.

Trunk looks good, even the spare tire well is solid.

rear seat looks good.

Front seat less so, also illustraits the problem inside, the cloth is rotted and fragile.

trunk.jpg

rear seat.jpg

front seat.jpg

• Like 2

When I brought this car home, a friend suggested that I scrub her down real good, treat the surface rust with Permatex rust converter and clear coat the car to perserve the patina.  In my head I thought, "yeah, kinda cool on some cars, but not really by cup of tea."  Then it rained yesterday and I saw this:

All of a sudden I'm not as opposed.  Quick, easy and cheap, and sticks with the "driver" idea.  Bodywise, all this sweet little Special needs is front floor pans.  I forgot to add to my previous post, that the car came with those 50's/60's style seat covers that install with hog rings.  Not the clear plastic, dealer type, the type you use to see all the time on old cars.  Floor pans, seat covers and I'm ready to go.  The headliner is intact, the door panels look really good, it would be a pleasure to drive and could go to the grocery store and not worry about my ten thousand dollar paint job.  I'm not throwing rocks, I love to see those perfect cars, but, I've owned a couple of garage queens and I'm looking for something fun, and this girl fits the bill.  In the meantime, I can doll up the engine compartment, because, it's a straight eight and they are something to look at, and maybe down the road, prep the body and do a Maaco paint job so she looks great from 20 feet.  These old Buicks are grand!

Front veiw wet.jpg

Rear veiw wet.jpg

• Like 3

That’s awesome that you are going to daily drive it ! My 1934 Dodge coupe sat since 1967 I had to re ring it new rods and main bearings brakes hoses wheel cylinders and other things Been daily driving since August What a blast ! I love it almost time to put it away for winter goods luck with your Buick! John

Edited by Porsche 68
Already posted (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I know it would cost a bundle,but I would have to bring this beauty back to show room condition.A solid car like that deserves it. I'm not a fan of patina.

I’ll agree. IMHO it’s like throwing time and money. Paint or clear aren’t cheep. Every time I see a vehicle that is done that way, I think of all the time and money waisted. It’s only a mater of time till your clear starts to peel and you will be back to square one. Fix the floor pans then blast the rust and do a proper paint job. You’ll be better off in the long run. Mike

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, opinions and ideas.  Everyone made a case for every thought that I had.  I will mull them over while I get this old gal ready to drive and see what's what. I've started on the brakes, rebuilt the master cylinder the other night.  I regret not taking pictures of what came out of it.  The car came with a master cylinder rebuild kit and wheel cylinder kits, so, I[m going to try that first.  After reinstallign the master cylinder, I pulled the drums to see what surprises hid under them.  All of the drums look like they were turned a thousand miles ago.  Shoes look new, with the exception of the the left rear, the lining came off partially on the rear shoe.  Ordered a set of rear shoes from Kanter, $83 free shipping.  Because of what I found in the master cylinder, I plan to rebuild all of the wheel cylinders.  I really don't understand how the shoes and drums look so fantastic and the hydraulic system looks like muddy water was used for brake fluid.  

rear brake drum.jpg

left rear brake.jpg

left rear shoe.jpg

• Like 2