Using My Skylark as a Second Daily Driver

Machine Gun

I used the Skylark almost exclusively over the weekend. Shopping, church, general errands, etc. Even after my 8,120 mile trip last month I'm finding myself wanting to drive it more instead of taking a break from it. I'm actually considering switching my auto insurance from classic to regular driver insurance so that I can use it as a second daily driver. There would be no point in getting collision or comprehensive (at least I don't think so) because I won't get what I think it's worth in the event of an accident, but then again I'm not looking at a $40K car so I could absorb the cost of repair or replacement if needed. I'll be putting it to bed for the winter shortly, and I'll think about it over the coming months. Does anyone else here do this? I'm looking for opinions on the insurance front.

• Like 3

Well, that's what I used to do with my '56 Chevy 40 years ago when it was my exclusive summer driver.  I used to drive a cheap 'winter rat' during snow season.  It's totally your call; I suspect that the Skylark won't mind at all.  Being a '60s car, it's modern enough that it can handle contemporary speeds and traffic.  The only downside I see is increasing likelihood of an accident.  That could be mitigated by just not driving it during the heaviest commuter rush hours.

@EmTee @JohnD1956No worries guys, I have no intention of driving the car during snow season. I will continue to put it into hibernation each year at the first snowfall, where it will remain until sometime in Spring after the rains wash away any residual road salt. It's not a fair weather car to the extent that I don't mind driving it in the rain, but road salt is a big no-no.

• Like 4

My theory is that when these cars were made, they were made to drive every day.  Therefore, as long as we maintain them to as close to original as possible, why not drive them?  For most of my life, I have driven cars much older than the current year, and proud of it.  I will say I have never owned a completely restored, award winning car, so I understand those that do not want to drive one after spending a fortune restoring one.  But I love getting an original vehicle and maintaining it to drive every day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've been using old cars as daily drivers for decades and have run the wheels off quite a few of them. I have an everyday beater and I don't go out anymore in snow, salt or rain if I can help it. My current second car is a 1967 Riviera. There are still plenty of old cars out there. Drive em. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Using it "daily" can be tricky.  Consider the other vehicles on the road, for example.  Almost any newer vehicle, should the event happen, can completely wreck an older vehicle with little effort.  Especially pickup trucks with welded front bumper replacements and such!  Which seems to be the reality down here in many parts of TX.  NOT to forget how high they are and what it might take to see around them.

Now, using them to go on a "backroads tour" to a smaller town to seek out a local eating place or similar, during the day or for a weekend, that would be a different thing.  Where the car might be enjoyed and appreciated for what it is and can do.  The "conservative" part of me leans toward that orientation.  BUT then again, "accidents" can happen anywhere, so discretion can be advised.  Lots of factors involved here, too.

Enjoy responsibly,

NTX5467

@NTX5467As a former long-distance motorcycle rider, I feel quite safe in the Buick. I only stopped riding because I developed a bit of inflammation in my arthur (arthur-itis).

While I appreciate your points, which are genuinely well taken, allow me to recall a quote by John A. Shedd: "A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are built for."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply and comments.  I also know that the seas are much more crowded than they used to be, especially in TX metro areas.  Perhaps things are different in your area?  Far too many "8'ft tall pickup trucks with bright headlights" in them, by observation.  In prior times, it was about 4bbls and 4-speeds.  Now it seems to be lifted pickup trucks (which you can't see around) driven by hormone-infused males sometimes "seeking to impress"?  You know times have changed when you see two Dodge Cummins 2500s facing off at the red light on Main Street!  Seeing who can blow the biggest cloud of soot smoke.

Everybody has their own comfort zone on driving older vehicles.  I respect that as I'm in that mix, too.  As they used to say in the 1960s . . . "Watch out for 'that other driver'".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 3

I was driving my 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon once on a local highway when I was rear-ended by a smaller foreign car.  Not a major collision, but still enough to get my attention.  We both pulled over to take a look.  The only thing I could see was a slight impression of his license plate holder in my rear bumper.  His car had major front-end damage.  His plastic front bumper was pushed back into his plastic grille, one of his headlights was broken, and I think his hood had a bit of a crinkle in it, too.  I waved it off, and told him he had to call his insurance company to mess with his damage.  Not many cars on the road today with more metal in them than old Buicks.

All:

Let me exit this discussion, which by the way was originally intended to solicit opinions on auto insurance, with the following:

• I accept the inherent risk of driving on roads with other drivers, whose movements and driving styles are unpredictable.
  • Many vehicles on the road today approach the size and mass of small buildings. They're often piloted by the distracted, impatient, angry, incompetent, and chemically and/or genetically stupid.
  • Driving is inherently unsafe, when compared to taking a nap in bed (unless one goes to sleep and then wakes up dead).
  • Older cars are considerably less safe than newer cars on nearly all levels, including handling, braking, and passenger protection (exception: rearward visibility out of today's jelly beans sucks, hence the "need" for backup cameras). Additional mass does not necessarily translate to additional passenger safety.
  • I fully accept the aforementioned realities as I drive my Skylark.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Regarding insurance my car is not registered as an antique or historical and has regular insurance with a mileage cap I’ll be unlikely to hit unless I go to the west coast and back.

I used to put 10-12000 miles a year on my car in the early 80s as it was all I had and drove it year round - rain or shine or snow.  In winter I think I had studded Firestone Town and Country’s, or maybe Dunlops - they were the big zig zag Firestone type tread, +2 80 lb bags of water softener salt in the trunk and a full tank of gas and that thing was like a D-9 dozer in the snow.  I never collected on the “Firestone will pay the tow” guarantee, but always thought it a cool jingle.

In recent years experiencing the scarcity and cost of replacement parts for a large series 2dr hardtop if an oops should happen, plus it’s “family heirloom” status, has admittedly caused me to drive it somewhat less often.  However when it’s on the road doing its thing, its not driven like an old car. About all I do is adjust speed or route to keep it in wide open traffic and not let the gazers or gawkers keep a swerving pace alongside it (quit watching the car and watch where you’re goin) and leave triple the space between myself and the other guy. Probably same for many of us.

It always feels good looking out over that big steering wheel while keeping up with 70+ mph interstate traffic. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KAD36 said:

Regarding insurance my car is not registered as an antique or historical and has regular insurance with a mileage cap I’ll be unlikely to hit unless I go to the west coast and back.

Getting regular insurance with a mileage cap is an excellent ideal that I hadn't considered. I'll check with my agent to see if that's an option for me to keep costs down. Even though I plan to make more road trips with it, the car essentially sits in the garage for about five months a year. Besides, it'll be a second daily driver, with my VW doing most of the heavy lifting.

• Like 1

I did the first few years but don’t get asked any more.  But have also had the same agent for 30 years.  There are more cars than drivers in the house which was the criteria.  They offered it to me.  The Trusty Rusty Tahoe is the grocery getter (w 290K miles on the clock) and the snow blaster, both it and the Buick are reduced mileage. The F150 and Altima are the highway runners.  It’s not as low cost as historical insurance but it helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@NorthernFirepower

My Skylark always had regular plates on it. NJ Historic plates have the following restrictions: "To be considered a historic vehicle, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner." While I'm sure than many in the hobby ignore similar stipulations in their own states, I like to play strictly by the book for my own protection. In the unfortunate event that I'm involved in an incident I don't want to give NJ an opportunity to cite me, nor do I want to give my antique insurance company an out to paying a claim, since they have a similar clause (although they permit occasional use for other purposes). If I'm going to use the car as a DD during part of the year I want no issues with how it's registered or insured.

A big down side to getting regular insurance is that in the event of a loss my company will value the car at whatever figure they determine it's worth, and they won't say what that figure is. Admittedly this is a bit of hyperbole, but they could total the car over a broken windshield. I'm willing and able to absorb the cost of repairs, or even a total loss of the car. A rare and valuable car it's not.
Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 1