Picking Up a Heavy Item at Hershey

leomara

After 4pm they will let you drive on the field to pick stuff up........NEVER had a problem after 4 in 40 years. Earlier..........no way. Be sure to be polite. 

• Like 7

I always take a wagon with me to Hershey.  Seems like I always find big stuff I can't live without.  Gas pumps, lubesters, big signs, bumpers etc.  A couple years ago I bought a 6 foot round sign, very heavy.   The vendor said to drive in.  It was the last day, after 4 pm and I was polite.  The Derry Township police would not let me in.  He was very rude.  I had my wagon so I just loaded it up on that.  A little bit of a job, but probally better than trying to navigate the traffic and people in the flea market.  It would be nice if someone in charge (Steve or whoever) would reply so that we know what the rules are regarding this.  I think we all want to abide by the rules, but we need to know what they are.

20191124_224231979_iOS.jpg

Ed is correct that driving in in the evening is about always possible but this can be gate dependent. I went on a grocery run a few years ago in a brass era car that came in on a trailer and forgot to put a sticker on the car, couldn’t get in at the gate I drive out but had nothing but a smile and wave at another. 

Very often the guy you are picking up from will have only used one entry sticker and has many spaces… depends how well you know the guy if he will come off a sticker with his name on it (literally).

The whole area is and should be a no drive zone through the vending day… there will always be exceptions, but most of us do a horrible job of looking out for cars while trying to walk, talk, and scan both sides of the isle.

• Like 1

I always take my cart to Carlisle, but never Hershey as I typically go to the latter to browse figuring not much there for my mid 70's collection. Last year I missed a good deal on a windshield I needed that ended up costing me twice the price for shipping after the show!  Take a cart if you can.

As far as heavy/large item pick up, I am surprised they dont have a designated area. Carlisle has a spot right at the main gate where one can pick up large heavy stuff. Getting it to the gate is another issue in itself (See 'bring cart' comment above 😄)

There are certain hours, it might in the program or in the vendor packet, but I ran into a problem with this last year with a gas pump I was delivering for a friend of mine and they would not let the guy who was picking up the pump into the field after a certain time. It might have been 5pm, I don't remember the exact time. I was surprised that access to the field was as early as it was. It is very specific and strictly enforced. I had an extra vendors pass I just put on his windshield so he could get in. He was on his way back to Alabama after he got the pump anyway