1963 Heater Temp control lever - new replacement!

Jim Cannon

Everyone with a '63 Riv knows how the temp control lever (made of potmetal) breaks easily when the hot water valve sticks.

I have arranged to have a limited number of new levers fabricated out of steel.  See picture below for one of the prototypes. That is a 1 inch grid that they are laying on. I'm not sure how he cuts the metal but it is very precise, like water jet. The angles are crisp.  It's a very professional job, done by a machinist that does high-end stuff every day.

If you are interested in getting one, please let me know. I will start a list and send them out in that order until they are gone.

The cost is $65 + $10 postage to anywhere in the USA.  Overseas will be at actual postage cost.

You can reply here or you can email me directly at 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com

Feel free to reach out with questions.  I'm not making any money on these, just recovering my costs.

IMG_0454.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The attached drawing from the Buick Master Chassis Parts book helps to show which part is being made here (highlighted yellow).

The pin that all the levers pivot on is easily driven out from the underside.  Swap the new lever in for the broken one, and tap the pin back in.  Not too tight.

Heater Control Assembly Buick Full Size.jpg

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

20220918_141622.jpg.36c35468f1bb1cac426f618dc6ca546e.jpgMost Riviera owners do not realize that the control lever assembly was used on all full sized models, the a/c levers are bolt on so even if you find the heater controls from a non a/c car, you can bolt you a/c levers to it.  The title of the illustration shows 4400, 4600, 4700, 4800.   The same assembly was used on 4400, 4600, and 4800 models in 1964. Picture is from my 1964 chassis manual

Edited by RivNut
add photo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

20220918_141622.jpg.36c35468f1bb1cac426f618dc6ca546e.jpgMost Riviera owners do not realize that the control lever assembly was used on all full sized models, the a/c levers are bolt on so even if you find the heater controls from a non a/c car, you can bolt you a/c levers to it.  The title of the illustration shows 4400, 4600, 4700, 4800.   The same assembly was used on 4400, 4600, and 4800 models in 1964. Picture is from my 1964 chassis manual

Cool!

So that expands the pool of potential donor vehicles for the '63 Riviera to fix their broken lever to other full size '63 and '64 Full Size Buicks.

Or just put in a new steel one and be done with it.

I guess that also means that owners of other full-size Buicks in '64 might need these steel replacement levers, too.

6 hours ago, ytr1903 said:

Having just received one of Jim's levers, I can attest to the quality of the one that he sent to me. He is providing a great source to the forum.

Tom

Thanks for the positive words, Tom.

To everyone that wants one of these levers, I sent Tom the prototype because he needed it right away.  I am still waiting on the first batch from the fabricator.  It will be a week or two.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, gang! To everyone that contacted me about getting. new Temp Control lever, they are here and ready to ship out.

Please use PayPal "Send money to a friend" option (no commision charged) for $75 to me (for domestic US mailing addresses) at 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com and make sure I have your mailing address.  I can get the lever out to you same day or next day.

I have had reports now of 2 of these levers being installed and both guys say they fit perfectly, work great.

One guy installed it while the controller assembly was still in the car.  That was a difficult job, because you just don't have a lot of access to the posts, but he was able to do it.  The other guy had his controller assembly out of the car (that's also what I did) and that is a much easier way to go.

If you emailed me requesting one, I will follow up with you by email.

If you'd like one and have not contacted me yet, please let me know. This first batch is sold out. I will have a second batch made this month if requests are there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Jim, $65.00 plus postage correct?

Yes. $75 to mail to USA addresses.  Mailing outside the USA is more.

If you want one, Bob, shoot me the money via PayPal.

It looks like you will be getting the last one.  I am getting pushback from my fabricator about doing another batch of levers.  Kind of annoys me.  I know more of you guys need them.

My fabricator has decided that he DOES want to make another batch of these steel temperature control levers for me, so I will have a good supply of them next week, if you want one.

$65 each plus $10 US domestic shipping (no matter how many levers you buy).

Email or private message me here if you need one.  63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks.

I have mailed out a bunch of these now. All of the feedback has been very positive.

I'm still waiting to hear from everyone in Australia that would like one. Right now I have only 2 names there.

If anyone in the US or Canada wants one, please let me know.  There will be a short bit about them in an upcoming Riview magazine and I expect that will finish them off.

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

I have mailed out a bunch of these now. All of the feedback has been very positive.

I'm still waiting to hear from everyone in Australia that would like one. Right now I have only 2 names there.

If anyone in the US or Canada wants one, please let me know.  There will be a short bit about them in an upcoming Riview magazine and I expect that will finish them off.

Jim you are one of the legends to the Riviera cause! Guys who can identify needed parts and produce them into the future will ensure they live on beyond us to the next Gen. For me from Australia well as you know the RH conversion / vent duct may well see the heater core a removed feature replaced by Vintage Air.. All up for conversation which should have been actually happening tonight but alas we are flooding all over the country again so pick up was delayed again!

cheers.

I just received my steel temperature lever today, WOW is all I can say, super quality, what a GREAT job Jim did, I plan on using it in a friends 1963 LeSabre, he will be a happy camper with this lever.

I also purchased all of Jim's chassis parts book and service bulletins on a USB flash drive.😀

Thank You Jim,

Bob

Thanks, Darrell.

The package went out today via Priority Mail, so you should see it next week on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have now sold or got commitments for 15 of my 30 unit run. If you think you want one, please don't delay too long. Once they are gone, the shop will not do another run for me.

There will be a write up about them in The Review shortly and that will probably finish them off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

Anyone in Australia that wants one, please contact me ASAP.

Package going out on Friday.

Thanks!

Jim 

$65 via PayPal just done. Jan and I will figure the rest out.

thanks Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim and Dundee,

The package is still in limbo. USPS has it as :

International Transit

Departed

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

January 7, 2023, 6:50 am

Whilst Australia post (who is handling it in Australia, seems to still think it is in Miami...), from https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/:

It's on its way

Most recent update

Cleared and awaiting international departure 

MIAMI (US), UNITED STATES

Sun 1 Jan, 4.10pm 1

I have found information that it can take 3 weeks to arrive but it isn't looking good as our last day in this home is on February 2nd and we are driving up to Queensland on the 3rd to look at property.

AUSPS status January22.JPG

USPS status January22.JPG

Hey downunder Happy New Year!

that seems weird for 2 weeks since arrival Melbourne so either delivered to wrong address or left hidden on your front porch??

Address check?

deliveries these days are like a knock and run..

dundee

1 hour ago, Dundee said:

Hey downunder Happy New Year!

that seems weird for 2 weeks since arrival Melbourne so either delivered to wrong address or left hidden on your front porch??

Address check?

deliveries these days are like a knock and run..

dundee

If it has been delivered it should have been reported as such and not “international transfer departed”. There seems to be a glitch in the communication between the two countries postal service. I really don’t have the time to look into this now as we are packing up our home. Here are a few other examples of horror stories with Australia Post:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/australia-post-international-postage/q-and-a

Jan and I have been watching this.

This is very frustrating for me. I posted that package on Dec. 30 so that it would have 4 weeks to get to you. The Post Office said to expect it to take 1 to 2 weeks, so I included 2 weeks of extra time.

On Monday I will file a claim at my Post Office. I think I am required to file a Trace as my first step, so I will do that. We will see where that leads.

I'm sorry about the problem.

• Like 2

Hey,

The package from Jim is moving! Who would have thought that it takes 16 day through the facility at Melbourne airport, snail express.

International Transit

Processed Through Facility

AUSTRALIA

January 23, 2023, 10:29 am

Departed

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hey,

The package from Jim is moving! Who would have thought that it takes 16 day through the facility at Melbourne airport, snail express.

International Transit

Processed Through Facility

AUSTRALIA

January 23, 2023, 10:29 am

Departed

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

Great!  Finally!

So I guess I will hold off on filing the claims papers for now.

Please let me know when you receive it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am kicking this back to the top because, if you look in the most recent March-April issue of The Riview, you will see an article about this replacement lever on Page 5. That has kicked up some interest.

I sold 3 yesterday, based on this article in The Riview. I have 12 left. When these are gone, we are finished. 

If you need one, get it now, before they are all gone.

Send a check or use PayPal "send money to a friend" to 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com and I will mail it right out.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

OK, gang. Sales have gone well. I now have just 7 of these new replacement Temp Control levers left for the '63 Riviera.

If you need one, let me know. When they are gone, they're gone. My fabricator will not be making any more. (Not worth his time.). When the original potmetal lever brakes, you are hosed.

65 USD plus postage to you.  I just mailed one the Denmark yesterday.

5 hours ago, Craig Balzer said:

Jim

Will this lever work on any other Riviera aside from the '63?

Craig

'65 Riviera Gran Sport

No.

The '64 and later Riviera moved the temp control to the center console, away from under the dash pad.

• 5 months later...

For people new to the Forum, and as a reminder to others, I still have a few of these new Temp control levers here.

Once they are gone, I won't be making any more. My fabricator does not want to do them.

PM or email me if you want one.