Owls Head Transportation Museum Auction

What is the relationship of the auction to the museum?

Certainly, all 228 cars haven't been donated.  Does the

museum conduct the auction to get some commission

as a fund-raiser?

If so, that's an idea for AACA!  The club could conduct

an excellent annual auction and get commissions.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What is the relationship of the auction to the museum?

Certainly, all 228 cars haven't been donated.  Does the

museum conduct the auction to get some commission

as a fund-raiser?

If so, that's an idea for AACA!  The club could conduct

an excellent annual auction and get commissions.

Yes, they do it as a fund raiser and get a commission. Its a really great event. In fact this years event marks the 44th year for the auction.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

I wonder how far people will travel to get there?  Closest airport with direct flights is probably Boston, no?  Would the same vehicles do 10-20% better in a more central location like Auburn or Harrisburg?

Just now, 63RedBrier said:

I wonder how far people will travel to get there?  Closest airport with direct flights is probably Boston, no?  Would the same vehicles do 10-20% better in a more central location like Auburn or Harrisburg?

Portland is what most use. There are some decent bargains to be found there over the years. Fun place. Of course, you can use their FBO…..if you have the means.

Who did this monstrosity?  Let alone claim to have spent $135K on it.  As an owner of a 37, this is an abomination.  I don't think I will be visiting Owl's head as recreational marijuana might be having an affect on the old car hobby out there.

image.png.9f0558d33c040b1dbfbf4d958b7ef16a.png

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

I visited this museum last summer. I would advise anyone  to make this site a destination for a road trip. Absolutely beautiful scenery on the way to Owl's Head and the cars and the planes are beautiful. We had a great road trip from Asheville, NC  to Swan Lake Maine.  

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 9:50 PM, Gerczak said:

Who did this monstrosity?  Let alone claim to have spent $135K on it.  As an owner of a 37, this is an abomination.  I don't think I will be visiting Owl's head as recreational marijuana might be having an affect on the old car hobby out there.

image.png.9f0558d33c040b1dbfbf4d958b7ef16a.png

NOT a museum car.   The auction is largely full of outside CONSIGNMENTS.  O which surely this is one.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:50 PM, Gerczak said:

I don't think I will be visiting Owl's head as recreational marijuana might be having an affect on the old car hobby out there.

As stated earlier most of the cars are on consignment or donated for the sale so there is a wide range of vehicles and yes .... taste. 

The museum collection itself is wonderful and changes often. Its well worth the trip. Especially when its timed to catch an airshow and/or major event.  If you ever make the trip I would strongly suggest visiting the Seal Cove Automobile Museum and to round it out - the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway.

Owls Head

Owls Head Transportation Museum - Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce

Seal Cove

Seal Cove museum's future at stake in legal dispute in Maine

Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Railway

One Last Goodbye | With the train crew ready to roll, a loca… | Flickr

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1