Headlight gaskets

Aussi John 1

You could go to a trimmer or an upholsterer and ask for very thin welting cord.      John

49 minutes ago, 41 Su8 said:

You could go to a trimmer or an upholsterer and ask for very thin welting cord.      John

Wouldn’t have thought you’d need to do something that fancy though

10 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Wouldn’t have thought you’d need to do something that fancy though

Not fancy, just the inside cord. 

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I was being lazy and hoped I cold buy a ready made product. I can cut them out of cork. It is a long time since I made them.

I think I may have filled the groove in the reflector with Silastic and oiled the lens, so i can get them apart. AS  piece of sash cord fixed in with silicone, should also be good. John.

It's not a rumor. Most silicone caulk or uncured gasket material contains acid.

If your reflectors are silver plated, outgassing from whatever you use could be a real problem and tarnish or damage is likely. I don't know what material was used on an FH President as exported to Australia, but many American cars of the period use a rectangular section piece of cork similar to the Ford A parts @Dandy Dave posted. As I understand it, this should be pure cork, not cork suspended in rubber as often found in gasket material, due to the outgassing of the rubber. I got my material for the 36 Pontiac several years ago from https://www.stevesautorestorations.com/ in Oregon. I don't recall if it was interchangeable with the Ford A material.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)