Your opinion matters - If You were go on a Tour and had a choice of accommodations what would you choose?

If You were go on a Tour and had a choice of accommodations what would you choose?

1. Typical motel like a Best Western or Holiday Inn.

2.  Dorm rooms at a local college.

This would be for a hub tour.

19 hours ago, Bob Giles said:

If You were go on a Tour and had a choice of accommodations what would you choose?

1. Typical motel like a Best Western or Holiday Inn.

2.  Dorm rooms at a local college.

This would be for a hub tour.

Bob, 

I think it is very important to clearly define what a "Dorm Room" is.

I have been at colleges with traditional "Dorm Rooms" that are rooms with 1 or more beds in them on a hall with a dozen or more rooms that all share a common bathroom. 

I have been at other colleges whose "Dorm Rooms" are actually apartments (but are referred to as "Dorms") with one or more bedrooms that have a living room, dining room, kitchen (with appliances) and full bathroom.

If you are talking about the former, most people would not like them. If you are talking about the latter, more people might consider it.

Just me, I could live with a dorm, or camping outside as long as the coffee is good nearby. And by good I mean Starbucks at a minimum. No Dennys or Dunkin or McDonalds (yeah,I'm a snob). Peets, Intelligentsia, etc. is preferable. If I'm bringing the wife then I need a hotel, although a driving tour isn't something she'd go on anyway.

Edited by Golden73
clarity (see edit history)

I would pick a choice not offered. Ritz-Carlton. 🫣

Fact is most ladies won’t go for a dorm room with a shared bath………hell, after sleeping in the car at Hershey Fall Meet for ten years, an air mattress and tent isn’t too bad. As I age, a decent middle of the road hotel is fine. I usually stay at Hampden Inn’s while on the road. Reasonable price, breakfast, gym, and a pool if I want it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The reason for the question was trailer parking is always difficult for Vintage cars. I found safe parking at a college campus 1.6 miles from the Host hotel. The college offered the dorms with food service. Sounded like a win-win situation. 

On 7/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, Bob Giles said:

The reason for the question was trailer parking is always difficult for Vintage cars. I found safe parking at a college campus 1.6 miles from the Host hotel. The college offered the dorms with food service. Sounded like a win-win situation. 

Bob, not about hotel suggestions, but with my wife's oxygen equipment we can ONLY do hub tours from now on. Changing hotels in the middle of the week with all of the stuff we have to carry just kills us now. Really a "B" getting old.

Wayne

Wayne, I know you have to do a lot to make it possible for your wife to attend. That being said, the tour I’m working on is a 6 day full progressive tour. The trouble truck could carry a lot of equipment for you.

Picture is a failed dam that killed 22 people back in the ‘30’s. Found it when I was scouting out some places to visit.

B6AB1533-455E-49C9-A817-102A60D80A79.jpeg

• Like 2

Bob,

A decent Middle-of-the-road Motel is best for us, 

BUT-

More and more important to find them with multiple Handicap Accessible rooms as more of us find such a need for family members.

Thanks for seeking out our thoughts,

and for continuing to plan tours.

What area are you considering?

and for what vintage of cars?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bob Giles said:

Picture is a failed dam that killed 22 people back in the ‘30’s.

Bob, is that dam in Austin, Pennsylvania?

There is a really good old film that tells the fascinating story--

a film probably made locally and seen only regionally.

Edit:  The dam must be elsewhere.  The Austin dam failure

was even more catastrophic, but occurred in 1911.  Austin

is in northern Penna. not far from the New York border.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Your opinion matters - If You were go on a Tour and had a choice of accommodations what would you choose?