Correct tail lamps for 1929 Chrysler Series 65?

What is a correct tail lamp for a 1929 Chrysler Series 65?

I have seen a lamp stamped 'DELITE' said to be correct for 1929 DeSoto.

I have seen a lamp stamped 'FILITE' installed on 1931 Chrysler.

Thanks for any guidance

tail lamp 1.jpeg

tail lamp 2.jpeg

tail lamp 3.jpeg

tail lamp 4.jpeg

Here is photo of taillight on what is said to be an original 1929 model 75 Chrysler Roadster (green car) and a 1929 model 65 (red car), both appear same light As the high end of the Chrysler lineup, I would expect Chrysler cars would have had chromed taillights (housing and trim ring), while lower priced models (Dodge, Plymouth) may have had painted housing and chrome trim ring.  A close look at this example should suggest subtle difference one manufacturer to the next. For example, screw details, one of yours show recessed screws in a widish recess, other shows round head without a recess. The original appears to show screws recessed in a tight recess, a molded upper lens, and a very narrow chrome arc around top of bullet lens. Based on my look, neither of your photos show correct light. Will leave to you to pin it down, likely a rare light to find.

1929 Chrysler Tail Light.jpg

1929 Chrysler Tail Light (2).jpg

1929 Chrysler model 65 Tail Light (2).jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
added info (see edit history)

The small series 29-31 Chryslers, along with 28-31 Plymouths, Desotos and Dodges used a FILITE tail light. Earlier ones, except Chrysler, built in 28-29 seemed to use a painted bucket, while the later ones 30, 31, along with early 32 Plymouth seemed to have a chrome bucket. The larger series 29 and 30 Chryslers Models 70, 75 and 77 also used a FILITE tail light. Looked like the smaller one used on the other Chrysler products but was larger in diameter. Pretty sure the DELITE bucket was an aftermarket replacement.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gasket said:

What is a correct tail lamp for a 1929 Chrysler Series 65?

I have seen a lamp stamped 'DELITE' said to be correct for 1929 DeSoto.

I have seen a lamp stamped 'FILITE' installed on 1931 Chrysler.

Thanks for any guidance

tail lamp 1.jpeg

tail lamp 2.jpeg

tail lamp 3.jpeg

tail lamp 4.jpeg

The first tail light DELITE is an aftermarket bucket. The license bracket pictured is also not original.

Hi All,

Mine is a mid/late 1929 (manuf. April 29th) series 65--'small series', per dcpdfan--so, I gather I should be looking for the smaller 3-1/2" chrome bucket/housing FILITE (thanks maok and Keiser31). Detail from Gunsmoke shows "...screws recessed in a tight recess, a molded upper lens, and a very narrow chrome arc around top of bullet lens."  (The ones I have now are Duolamp Ford--images attached below.)  Many thanks for this wealth of information. Now I can search with utter confidence.

mine5.webp

mine6.webp

mine7.webp

My 2 cent after hunting Series 65 parts for 40 years: As long as it is a small diameter chromed beehive style taillight, no one will be able to deny its applicability on a Series 65. An aftermarket item as shown in the initial posting will be a conversation piece of its own, if you care to tell anyone.

1008707651_CR140720FerieturtilEiknes(4).JPG.0da496d0dbf6c4eb03291dbe310e293c.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks, Narve... That's a good perspective to have.

BTW:  That roadster looks great.  (Folding windscreen; Yes!) Looks absolutely correct. Well done.

I noted on ebay yesterday a "lot of 1509663450_CD8Detail12.jpg.1c638c4c24cb11661bca051ebdc79fd4.jpgtaillights" for sale ($69) which appeared to include an after market light identical to the one above with the roundhead non-recessed screws in case you decide you want a matching pair. I've been looking for 7 years for tail/stop light for my Chrysler CD8 Roadster project, a pretty rare item. I show a photo here, and it stands just above bumper on a stanchion that also acts as the clamp to hold bumper to chassis. As you may realize, one of the reasons these taillights are so hard to find is that many restorers over the years added a second taillight to their cars (such as on this Roadster). I have a friend who is restoring a CD8 and has a nice pair of taillights he plans to use. I'm told a very good one can cost $2000+. They are quite large as seen, about 5.5" diameter, and could probably be replaced by a bullet type fog/driving light with suitable red lens etc.

While searching for one, I did come across this pair of equally rare 1929 LaSalle taillights, one very good and complete, and a 2nd with a cracked main lens and missing the license plate lens. These would work on my car, would require a 1.25" hole on side of rear apron and a home made bracket to secure to underside of frame rail. Some might argue sacrilege, but this approach will let me have a period look, and not preclude changing to correct light if one ever shows up. I plan to post these in the LaSalle forum and seek a trade for a good correct CD8 light, I'm sure someone must have one.

CD8 Detail2.jpg

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8048 (2).JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

22 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I noted on ebay yesterday a "lot of 1509663450_CD8Detail12.jpg.1c638c4c24cb11661bca051ebdc79fd4.jpgtaillights" for sale ($69) which appeared to include an after market light identical to the one above with the roundhead non-recessed screws in case you decide you want a matching pair. I've been looking for 7 years for tail/stop light for my Chrysler CD8 Roadster project, a pretty rare item. I show a photo here, and it stands just above bumper on a stanchion that also acts as the clamp to hold bumper to chassis. As you may realize, one of the reasons these taillights are so hard to find is that many restorers over the years added a second taillight to their cars (such as on this Roadster). I have a friend who is restoring a CD8 and has a nice pair of taillights he plans to use. I'm told a very good one can cost $2000+. They are quite large as seen, about 5.5" diameter, and could probably be replaced by a bullet type fog/driving light with suitable red lens etc.

While searching for one, I did come across this pair of equally rare 1929 LaSalle taillights, one very good and complete, and a 2nd with a cracked main lens and missing the license plate lens. These would work on my car, would require a 1.25" hole on side of rear apron and a home made bracket to secure to underside of frame rail. Some might argue sacrilege, but this approach will let me have a period look, and not preclude changing to correct light if one ever shows up. I plan to post these in the LaSalle forum and seek a trade for a good correct CD8 light, I'm sure someone must have one.

CD8 Detail2.jpg

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8048 (2).JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

would be a shame to use the Lasalle lights on your Chrysler  just my opinion but I would look for similar round lights to your Chryslers

I have fitted another light to my 31 LaSalle it took me 2 years to find a complete one

I have also fitted another light to my Chrysler 72 con/coupe  which was easier to obtain than the LaSalle

only my opinion but I thought I would share it. the cd8 roadster is a beautiful car 

hope you find the correct lights one day

John 

• Like 1

Hi Gunsmoke, Thanks for the heads-up about tali lights on e-bay (alas, I was too slow to snap them up).

BTW: the big tail lights (and, of course, the vehicle itself) look great.

Single tail light was standard configuration on 1929 Series 65; dual tail lights (I guess) were optional.

So, in the past, if someone--not necessarily a restorer--wanted to upgrade to dual configuration--for safety, or in order to get turn signals, or to meet some new gov't reg--some years after the vehicle was manufactured, when a tail light matching the original was no longer easily obtainable, one would install whatever nice-looking pair of lights was available. 

On my un-restored touring, the passenger-side bracket was modified, and I guess matching Ford lights were installed because they were easier to obtain than MOPAR. Judging by the old cloth-covered wiring, this could have been done a while back. There's an argument for leaving it as-is--they're period, they're functional, it's part of the history of the car; it tells a story. I guess it's a matter of taste. (Bee-hive lights look better to me.)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all, interesting topic on early Chrysler tail lamps.

On my 1926 Chrysler 50 I am running a pair of Ford repro Duolamps, I was extremely happy with the quality, but ultimately would like to fit the single Chrysler lamp.

Referring to my photo, my car has the ribbon bezel head lamps and I have been lucky to acquire the matching ribbon bezel and  bucket  for the tail lamp.

Would any of you guys know which lens it should have ... And where the heck can I get one.

I have seen a photo of a pair of matching ribbon bezel cowl lamps, that would be the find of the century.

Cheers

IMG_20230111_112113.jpg

I bought one of these tail light bezels for the lenses that I needed for a Model G70 tail light. The beehive and upper lenses are the same as on the early Chrysler 4,5inch tail lights. The smaller 3,5inch tail light lenses are smaller. Sorry, I do not have any lenses spare and the ribbon tail light rim has moved on to a new owner.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, The more I think about it, the more I want to replace my twin Ford Duolamps for the correct single 26 Chrysler tail lamp.

As mentioned I do already have the bucket and ribbon bezel, so will now seek the correct split beehive lens.

It will be about 4 1/2" diameter and the holes are about 3" apart.

There are some very similar ones on eBay that are smaller at 3 1/2".  Being for a 29 DeSoto Durrant Plymouth.

If anyone can put me on tack to locating one it would be awesome.

Thanks

IMG_20230226_152047.jpg

I have this taillight by CM Hall to be used as a 2nd taillight on a Series 75. Inside taillight door diameter is 4 5/16" which looks to be standard for larger beehive style taillights on Mopars. The bolts towards the taillight-stand were NorthSouth oriented and we had to change that for the more common EastWest with an adapter. Then the (non-original) taillight door had its holes at the centerline and did not fit the glass, but thanks to Jay Astheimer that should also be corrected to one with the more common slightly southern latitude as you have on yours. Bottom line, you should possibly also be able to use a taillight glass like the one here, which I believe is common?

230130BaklyktS75medfeillok(1).jpg.af233966306c9ec98ad8bddc3fed9abf.jpg