CCCA Pilgrim Grand Classic & Mini-Tour

George Cole

Not far from the starting line for this year's Great Race, the New England CCCA Region is hosting a tour and show on Cape Cod.  Unfortunately, the show day is Saturday...same day as the Great Race start.  We saw several of the Great Race cars on trailers as we came from Florida.  Nice tour day for the 26 Full Classics yesterday in and around Cape Cod and Plymouth, MA.  Rainy last night, this morning, and forecast for all day.  Rain probably not good for the Great Racers.  Pictures of our event below and more to follow in the next several days. 

100_3330.JPG

100_3331.JPG

100_3334.JPG

100_3336.JPG

100_3338.JPG

100_3340.JPG

100_3346.JPG

100_3348.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks for the pics George. Looks like its going to be a fun weekend. Your car looks great amongst the large American iron. Not sure about the Orange Packard, I really like the looks of the brownish looking Packard with the worn finish. There was a guy in my town when I was a kid that was a Packard collector. He had a roadster that looked just like the yellow and green one you show (I dont think the one you pictured is a Packard though).

Drive Safe!!

• Like 3

The yellow & green is a 1932 LaSalle. Owners live in Key Largo, FL, but summer in ME.  Rain let up this a.m., but more coming. Supposed to be nice for tomorrow. The brown Packard is unrestored original. A few minor hiccups, but cars otherwise running extremely well...including mine. The black 1940 Caddy with yellow stripe was driven over 250 miles to get here from Goshen, NY. It's mostly original showing 36k on the odometer. I was following the 1925 Caddy back to the hotel yesterday. It was comfortably running between 50-55.

• Like 2

Yes, in some pictures my Jag has a hood ornament and in some it does not.  When I leave it unattended in a parking lot, I replace the hood ornament with a flat radiator cap.  In this instance, I forgot to reinstall it before hitting the road.

14539.jpeg

14541 (1).jpeg

14537.jpeg

14532.jpeg

14534.jpeg

14535.jpeg

14525.jpeg

14528.jpeg

• Like 4

I dont have to worry about hood ornaments but was talking to a guy at a show awhile back. He said that he had his stolen off the car while at a show in past, never leaves the car alone with it in place now. I cant imagine someone having the nerve to steal a cap off of a car at a show, but then again I dont have that mindset. Sounds like you are being smart about it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, George Cole said:

Yes, in some pictures my Jag has a hood ornament and in some it does not.  When I leave it unattended in a parking lot, I replace the hood ornament with a flat radiator cap.  In this instance, I forgot to reinstall it before hitting the road.

14539.jpeg

14541 (1).jpeg

14537.jpeg

14532.jpeg

14534.jpeg

14535.jpeg

14525.jpeg

14528.jpeg

I really like the color combo on your Jag! Thanks for sharing all the pics! 

• Like 1

Interesting to see that your Jaguar is wearing a New Zealand registration plate. Small world coincidence - in the 1980s I owned a 1976 Chevrolet Chevette that had been privately imported to NZ and first registered on 28 July 1978 - its plate was IY6313, so I guess about then is when your car was reregistered after restoration? Your Jaguar's plate is no longer on carjam so must have been exported before 1996 when the system was computerised.  The Chevette is still out there somewhere as it has not been deregistered, although I think its ownership and history since I sold it is 1991 is murky to say the least - Report - IY6313 - 1976 CHEVROLET CHEVETTE in Blue | CARJAM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Interesting to see that your Jaguar is wearing a New Zealand registration plate. Small world coincidence - in the 1980s I owned a 1976 Chevrolet Chevette that had been privately imported to NZ and first registered on 28 July 1978 - its plate was IY6313, so I guess about then is when your car was reregistered after restoration? Your Jaguar's plate is no longer on carjam so must have been exported before 1996 when the system was computerised.  The Chevette is still out there somewhere as it has not been deregistered, although I think its ownership and history since I sold it is 1991 is murky to say the least - Report - IY6313 - 1976 CHEVROLET CHEVETTE in Blue | CARJAM

It was originally manufactured for and delivered to Newman Transportation Co in Nelson, NZ in Nov 1947.  It changed hands twice after that, before being purchased by someone in Chicago and imported to the U.S., in 1985.  That owner died several years ago and his brother sold the car to Beverly Hills Car Club.  I purchased it from them in January.  I'm working with someone in NZ right now who's trying to find out more of the car's NZ history, but so far he's not having much luck.  And yes, I've been driving around here with NZ plates.  I fouind the ideal spot to mount the Florida license plate...under the passenger front seat. :)  So far the constables have left me alone.

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Cole said:

It was originally manufactured for and delivered to Newman Transportation Co in Nelson, NZ in Nov 1947.  It changed hands twice after that, before being purchased by someone in Chicago and imported to the U.S., in 1985.  That owner died several years ago and his brother sold the car to Beverly Hills Car Club.  I purchased it from them in January.  I'm working with someone in NZ right now who's trying to find out more of the car's NZ history, but so far he's not having much luck.  And yes, I've been driving around here with NZ plates.  I fouind the ideal spot to mount the Florida license plate...under the passenger front seat. :)  So far the constables have left me alone.

I posted a couple of your pics on a local facebook page a short time ago. Enquiries are ongoing from there.  2 pm Sunday here at the moment. Hope someone will see it this evening and get back to me.

Which engine does your car have?

If you did not already know Newman Brothers was a very well-known pioneering transport company. First with horse-drawn coaches, then service cars (mostly modified Cadillacs) and then buses - Newman Brothers (theprow.org.nz)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

3 1/2 Litre.  Yes, I checked out Newman Brothers, but didn't find any reference to them owning/driving Jaguars.  CCCA member Michael Taylor (from your neck of the woods,) has been helping me research it and spreading info about it around.

Yes, I was a little surprised they would have a Jaguar as most of their commercial vehicles were American.

• Like 1

Again, odd man out but I love that yellow and green Duesenburg! 

I noticed the plates on the car but did not know they were NZ. Wondered how your state was with yom plates. I know some allow a different state as long as it is registered. Thought it was odd that its a whole different country!  I dont want to put bad luck on either of us but I have been running yom plates on my car for 7 years now and have never been questioned. 

• Like 1

On June 11th we attended a car show at the Heritage Museum and Gardens and you couldn't ask for a nicer venue. Woodie Station Wagon's were the featured vehicle's and the Yankee Chapter of the National Woodie Club was well represented. I for one would like to see a Woodie section every year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Again, odd man out but I love that yellow and green Duesenburg! 

I noticed the plates on the car but did not know they were NZ. Wondered how your state was with yom plates. I know some allow a different state as long as it is registered. Thought it was odd that its a whole different country!  I dont want to put bad luck on either of us but I have been running yom plates on my car for 7 years now and have never been questioned. 

YOM plates ate legal in FL, but they have to be FL YOM plates. NZ plates with no year marking is a double negative whammy.

Several cars at yesterday's show had their plates zip tied to their bumpers.

• Like 1