Anyone have a friend that works for the Oregon DMV?

cascadia

Got a bit of an issue with three 40's era cars that I bought out of Canada. I need to get a VIN inspection for all 3 before our DMV will issue titles, but the cars are too nice to drive in the rain! But even in good weather, not looking forward to having to take each one in separately, and the available appts. are over a month out.

I was thinking that if anyone knew of a DMV employee in or near Portland who would be willing to drop by for 10 minutes and do a VIN inspection on all 3, I'd be glad to leave them with a $300 Amazon gift card for their help. Any connections out there?

IMG_4214.JPG

Not sure if this helps but I had to do a similar VIN check here in California.  A friend at Triple A came by and did the VIN check. Might be worth checking if they'll do the same in Oregon.

I was told by the Oregon DMV that I would have to bring my car by the office on a trailer for them to inspect/verify numbers. I inquired about the police coming by to inspect the car, but they corrected me.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Do you have any friends that might be friends with a patrol officer, or know of any that are into old cars.  They might like to just see the cars. 

For sure! That's exactly why I posted it here, for this type of out-of-the-box brainstorming. There must be some OSP guys that are into cars. What I've got is a '42 McLaughlin Buick Special (rare), a '46 Buick Super, and a '50 Olds 98. All of them are sedanettes! 😍

Edited by cascadia (see edit history)

Have you. Personally check the law/statute as to who  can do the inspection ? I was told at t he DMV it had to be a State Trooper I checked the law it did not state it had to be a sTate Trooper any law  enforcement officer could do it.  That is Indiana 

My experience is that you will probably have to show up with the cars in person at the DMV.

It really helps if you can show them where the VIN is.

I showed up with enclosed trailers in the snow before and the lady just told me to crawl under there myself and read the numbers to her.

I guess you could go speeding down I5 and possibly meet a nice state trooper.

I have a friend that tells me that the best office for guys like us is the one near the PCC Sylvania campus. Never been there but he says there are two women that work there that seem to be on our side. Past the campus somewhere if you are coming from the I5 side on Capitol. (Capitol changes into something else up there).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cascadia said:

Yes, I have confirmed that in Oregon it can only be an OSP trooper.

In Pennsylvania, verification of the serial number

can be done by a policeman, or else by a licensed

repair garage (inspection station).  That's not the

case in Oregon?

Having lots of local garagemen around makes such

a process very convenient.

21 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

In Pennsylvania, verification of the serial number

can be done by a policeman, or else by a licensed

repair garage (inspection station).  That's not the

case in Oregon?

Having lots of local garagemen around makes such

a process very convenient.

I wish it were that easy!

In California a "Licensed Vehicle Verifier" can sign.  Not terribly difficult to become licensed. (no test)

I have a license and a good car friend also has one.

You cant sign off your own cars. . . . . . BUT neither one of us has ever had difficulty getting a signature when needed. We also help others when needed. 

For once something is easier in California!! :-) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cascadia said:

was thinking that if anyone knew of a DMV employee in or near Portland who would be willing to drop by for 10 minutes and do a VIN inspection on all 3, I'd be glad to leave them with a $300 Amazon gift card for their help. Any connections out there?

Not sure what your laws are but I’d be very very very careful about making an offer like that which could be seen as offering a bribe.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

Not sure what your laws are but I’d be very very very careful about making an offer like that which could be seen as offering a bribe.

Definitely wouldn't want to cross that line, you're right.

18 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

How about coffee and a donut?

• Like 1

If you mean OSP, no, they don't seem to want to get involved with doing that.

A friend told me about a DMV branch outside of Portland that allows walkups, so I drove the '42 Buick out there. We had good weather this morning and the car runs and drives awesome, so it turned out to be a nice little drive. Waited about 90 minutes there but got the VIN inspection done with no issues. One down, two to go!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1