1914 GPS

Porsche 68

Got this fantastic book from my ex gf yesterday it is a detailed book of turn by turn mile by mile instructions of touring directions from Maine to South Carolina lots of pictures of old hotels and auto repair shops along the way awesome reading Some of the garages and hotels are still around in the next town over from me in Port Jervis NY 

A3D3885B-A38E-4C78-BB49-3C53A4EC5625.jpeg

FC02C881-367B-4677-934A-852A8FA7592E.jpeg

Yes TerryB I went to Port Jervis today 5 minutes from home lots of the land marks buildings and steel bridges though removed 2 years ago and replaced by concrete are still there ! There was a Cadillac dealership on Jersey Ave where th showroom was on the second floor the cars were displayed in front of a large window witch is still visible today Around back is a garage door with a ramp to drive up Next time I go I’ll post a picture 

• Like 2

Charlspetty That is ingenious! I just historical stuff like this ! I also have a book of my area from a fire department that has two digit phone numbers and street address pretty much done turn by turn the as my book!

13 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

Yes TerryB I went to Port Jervis today 5 minutes from home lots of the land marks buildings and steel bridges though removed 2 years ago and replaced by concrete are still there ! There was a Cadillac dealership on Jersey Ave where th showroom was on the second floor the cars were displayed in front of a large window witch is still visible today Around back is a garage door with a ramp to drive up Next time I go I’ll post a picture 

Fond memories of Port Jervis.  Summers of '64-'66 I worked with a crew doing archaeological survey work along the Delaware river on the PA side from Bushkill north.  We were under 21 so couldn't drink in PA but the legal age in NY was 18.  There was a somewhat scruffy bar in Port Jervis we would frequent on weekends. Those 25 cent beers tasted good after a week working out in the sun.

• Haha 2

Looks like mine is the 1912 edition.  The speedometer/odometer ad piece that was once part of the bookmark is important because you need good mileage readings to follow the book instructions.

220EFA8B-19CD-429F-97AA-33B0D080F346.jpeg

8B504D2E-365C-496B-A402-01AC6F92B4FF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Jim Cox had his restoration shop just across the river in Matamoras, Pa. on Avenue L and the building was an old dealership building from the 1920s. He restored some magnificent cars there, as well as the engine for my 1941 Packard 120 woody wagon. Rebuilt both rear springs for my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied  brougham there too.  In the early 1970s he hosted an ACD regional event, tour weekend and I wound up driving his 1930 Auburn sedan around on the tour much of the time. It was late in the year and we had a Halloween party , stayed at some resort cabins on the south side of the river west of Matamoras/Port Jervis.

As you might expect from the name these Automobile Blue Books appealed to the carriage trade.  

The $3.00 price would have been affordable to those people who drove the more costly cars and stayed at Hotels. 

Motels (later editions) and campgrounds were rarely if ever listed or shown. These Blue Book travelers wanted their autos in a garage every night. 

There are different Volumes for any given year. The volume number denotes which section of the country it covered. This is explained in the opening pages. 

Volumes for the the eastern USA are the most common (probably more people motoring in that area) and cover the smallest geography . The Volume for the western USA covers almost the entire US west of the Rockies in one volume. As you might expect, their page count is less and the ads are fewer because in the unsettled west there would be fewer Hotels and Resorts that would interest the target audience. 

They were sold with a removeable map of the designated area but it is rare to find one in a Blue Book today.  They are an inexpensive collectable. eBay has them generally in the $20 - $70 range. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

Bloo, the eastern high society still thought wagon trains were still using the Oregon trail to get out to that neck of the woods. No way would they have a book detailing Forts to stay overnight in to keep from getting scalped! 
dave s 

• Haha 4