71 Hemi Cuda convertible going to auction could fetch 5-6 M

Only nine were originally built and there are more than nine crazy rich people willing to spend whatever it takes to own one of the originals.  :)

• Like 2

I'm sure it's interesting to muscle-car fans;

but cars have little intrinsic value.  If it weren't

for people lusting after them, they could just

as easily be $50,000 cars.

There are plenty of custom-bodied coupes and

sedans of the 1930's whose production for the

entire body style was less than 9.  And they might

sell for $50,000.  I'd take something far less expensive

than a $5,000,000 Barracuda;  own several interesting

cars;  and have plenty of money to invest and enjoy!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cudaman said:

Only nine were originally built and there are more than nine crazy rich people willing to spend whatever it takes to own one of the originals.  :)

I dont know mopars and know nothing about this car, but were there just 9 built total or 9 that had such n such n such. Seems like the selling point of these cars is 'only 1 was built with blue paint and black interior on a monday afternoon' kind of thing. 

• Like 2

there is one in Arizona and it is loaded with 2 build tags.....saw it many years ago. Spectacular looking. When/if it sells it will make this one look cheap.

One sold a few years ago and it brought 4 million and it had few options on it.  E Body convertibles with a 426 hemi are very rare..

The number of 1971 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles used to be commonly quoted as nine, but I see from the Hemmings quote below that it is up to eleven.  Perhaps the nine were U.S. production and the additional two were built in Canada.  The quote below breaks the eleven down to three built with four speed transmissions and the remaining eight built with automatics.  No further breakdown regarding paint color or other options.  :)

From Hemmings:

"In 1971, only 6,228 'Cuda hardtops and 374 convertibles were built. A scant 108 hardtops were built with Hemis and just 11 convertibles had Street Hemi power. Four-speed manual Hemi 'Cuda convertibles are the rarest of all with just three built."

Its when they start breaking down option codes and colours n such that gets me. I suppose with deep enough pockets a one of 11 is worth 4 mil to someone.  Pontiac made less than 700 trans ams in 1969 and up until lately 100k would get one. They made 8 convertible Trans Ams. I suppose these are a bargain, I dont think any has sold for 4 mil yet. Shouldve started collecting hemis about 1972!

• Like 1

During the 1970s insurance and gas availability worries put muscle cars in the bargain basement price wise.  Some people did find and keep these cars, most others did not including me.  It’s always intriguing to look back at what could have been if I just…..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TerryB said:

During the 1970s insurance and gas availability worries put muscle cars in the bargain basement price wise.  Some people did find and keep these cars, most others did not including me.  It’s always intriguing to look back at what could have been if I just…..

Yes I'm in the same boat. Had many muscle cars, sold 'em and bought another a hours or days later. Never imagined they could reach these prices.

• Like 1

I graduated in 82 so missed the fire sale of these cars, however our school parking lot was full of big block chevy's, ss camaros and chevelles were a dime a dozen. "duece' novas were the hot commodity. And at the time they were real SS cars!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Its when they start breaking down option codes and colours n such that gets me. I suppose with deep enough pockets a one of 11 is worth 4 mil to someone.  Pontiac made less than 700 trans ams in 1969 and up until lately 100k would get one. They made 8 convertible Trans Ams. I suppose these are a bargain, I dont think any has sold for 4 mil yet. Shouldve started collecting hemis about 1972!

Two of the 69 TA Convertible's were sold by a dealer very near where I lived at the time. It was not unusual to see one or the other of them in daily use all through the 1970's. An acquaintance actually owned one of them in about 1980. When he sold it the price was around a towering $20,000.00 and it left British Columbia forever.

• Like 1

The 69 T/A was built too late. Not a lot of love at the time as the new body style was about to come out. Not many wanted an outdated car. I have heard that many languished on dealer lots well after their time. 

Sorry for the hijack.

28 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

The 69 T/A was built too late. Not a lot of love at the time as the new body style was about to come out. Not many wanted an outdated car. I have heard that many languished on dealer lots well after their time. 

Sorry for the hijack.

Never apologize for adding value around here!   There are plenty of dolts posting drivel (yes, including me).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Now if it had a column shift it woukd be really rare... (drivel Tuesday!)

Imagine being lucky enough to own a Hemi Cuda convertible and have it be column shift.  That would be a tough situation for me.    The fact that the actually built HEMI cars with column shifts still has me shaking my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yes I'm in the same boat. Had many muscle cars, sold 'em and bought another a hours or days later. Never imagined they could reach these prices.

Me too. Back in the late 70s early 80s I had a 69 Hurst Olds, 70 Buick GS Stage 1, 67 Plymouth GTX, 70 Cuda AAR, and 70 Olds 442. Bought them all for way less than $1000, spent a lot of time and money fixing them up and had a LOT of fun driving them. Lost money on them all except for the Hurst and the AAR.

• Like 2