1966 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi 4-Speed

"It is hard to be humble when you own a Hemi".    I still have that t-shirt somewhere.  tattered.

Mine was a 68 in the same color, but an automatic which I had to sell to make mortgage payments once upon a time.    I love the paperwork on this.  Body style is not 68-70, but this is a nice car.   Doesn't state if the engine and transmission are matching number.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-dodge-426-hemi-charger/

This 1966 Dodge Charger is one of 250 examples produced for the model year with a 426ci Hemi V8 and a four-speed manual transmission, and it was delivered new to Greene Motors of Little Neck, New York. The seller acquired the car in 2005, before which it is said to have undergone a refurbishment that included a repaint in green and rebuilding the engine. Features include a Sure Grip differential, chrome trim, retractable headlight covers, front and rear bucket seats, front and rear consoles, a push-button radio, electroluminescent gauges, front disc brakes, and steel wheels with hubcaps. This Hemi Charger is now offered with a matching scooped hood, a copy of the window sticker, manufacturer’s literature, a Certicard, a copy of the punch card, a production record from DaimlerChrysler, and a Florida title in the seller’s name.

1966_dodge_426-hemi-charger_Charger-288-71610.jpg?fit=2000%2C1333

1966_dodge_426-hemi-charger_Charger-78-68277.jpg?fit=2000%2C1333

1966_dodge_426-hemi-charger_Charger-191-71307.jpg?fit=2000%2C1333

• Like 7

I was never a mopar guy. To me the chargers in particular looked like big boxes, nothing stylish at all. I have grown to appreciate them for what they are and would not mind having one in the garage. My aunt had a Marlin which to me was about the same as this charger.

• Like 1

New message from seller:  The vehicle has the original rebuilt 426 Hemi engine. When it was rebuilt, the owner(smart man) removed the solid lifters and installed hydraulic lifters to make the vehicle more street friendly. Thanks for asking.

Personally, I would have left the mechanical lifters.  It is a sweet song.  You just need to adjust them frequently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adjusting lifters puts a lot of people off. Another thing comes to mind, I thought the grind of a solid lifter cam was different than a hydraulic lifter cam. Seemed like you had to switch the cam along with the lifters. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 3

There are cases where the cam would be compatible, but nothing this new was far as I know. I would expect any high-performance car like this to have clearance ramps that would cause cause the valves to leak and burn, also cause bad performance even before the damage was done. The whole cam and lifter set could have been changed to hydraulic though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bloo said:

The whole cam and lifter set could have been changed to hydraulic though.

That's possible. Even if a new set of solid lifters would have been installed I would have wanted to check that camshaft very closely and if at all possible replaced it.

• Like 1

I may be alone in this opinion, but I think the '66-7 Chargers were among the best looking muscle cars of the 1960's. It would be interesting to know exactly how much influence the Marlin - another unsung styling hero (IMO), introduced in '65 - was on the designers of the first Charger.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I may be alone in this opinion, but I think the '66-7 Chargers were among the best looking muscle cars of the 1960's. It would be interesting to know exactly how much influence the Marlin - another unsung styling hero (IMO), introduced in '65 - was on the designers of the first Charger.

You are not alone, I totally agree.

10 hours ago, JamesR said:

I saw the Charger concept at the '65 Detroit Auto Show.  Overall, it was quite similar to the production version.  I have the brochure for it, too.  I think it is one of the best-looking cars of that era and is underrated with the hidden headlights, full-length console on the '66, full-width taillights, and crisp lines inside and out.  I think it still looks great today.  The Marlin probably had no influence on the Charger since the concept was out at that time.  The '65-'66 Marlin is considered by most enthusiasts to be somewhat awkward in its fastback roof, but they really got it right for '67.  Too bad the '67 Marlin was a poor seller. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The Marlin probably had no influence on the Charger since the concept was out at that time. 

Thanks for that perspective, Jim. I didn't know that but it makes sense. There probably wasn't a styling connection between the two.

The '65-'66 Marlin is considered by most enthusiasts to be somewhat awkward in its fastback roof, but they really got it right for '67.  Too bad the '67 Marlin was a poor seller. 

I'd read somewhere that there was an old guy in the design department who wanted back seat passengers to be able to wear hats (similar to the design parameter of early fifties mopars) and this created the awkward roof line.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I read it somewhere.

To me, the '65-6 Marlins' odd roof puts it in the "quirky cool" category - kind of like the bullet nose 1950 Studebaker - which creates a unique and devoted following among fans. Love it or hate it, as they say. Very striking, however, was the unusual vinyl top treatment. Your absolutely right - they got the lines for the '67 model much more refined looking. That makes me wonder if maybe the '67 Marlin was influenced by the Charger, instead? Just speculating. Anyway, if I ever came across a '67 Marlin at a reasonable price I'd have a hard time resisting.

• Like 1

Back in 1970 I was looking for a muscle car that I could afford on my salary and one of the cars at one of the area Chrysler dealerships had a 66 Charger with a hemi and an automatic.  In those days at least around here the keys were left in the cars on the lot so you could start them up. I started it and loved the rumble. But my friend who was with me said to look at the oil pressure. The gauge just barely moved even when reving up the engine. That ended that and was as close as I ever came to owning one.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fossil said:

Too bad because if it sounded alright it was probably a faulty sending unit or the gauge.

A friend of mine worked at a Ford dealership back in the late 1960's or early '70's. He said there was an old guy  who came in to the service dept. after buying a new car equipped with a 429 or something. He claimed the oil pressure was too low, and wasn't satisfied when the techs checked the pressure with their equipment. My friend told the customer, "I'll fix your car!" and drove it into a repair bay. A half hour later the car was given back to the customer with the gauge reading the way the customer wanted it...my friend had just realigned or bent the needle, and nothing more. But the customer was now happy. 😄

My T-bird had an original oil gauge reading lower than normal, so I put a new mechanical gauge on it. It was then reading higher than normal. I verified this with a second new mechanical gauge of the same type. A local engine builder told me it has a HV oil pump in it. Other than that, the engine is stock. I think it's possible that the HV pump was put in by a previous owner to compensate for the inaccurate original gauge.

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I was 19. What did I know?

At that point in my life I would have done the same thing. Money was too hard to come by to want to waist it on the unknown. 

• Like 2