My New Garage Journey!

MarkV

Finally! After two years my building permit was finally approved! I wanted to add storage and garage space. The original garage attached to the house is 20x26 and the new additional garage will be 20x28. 

thankfully I ordered it before the pandemic as now the price would be about $8k more that was locked in with the contract. Unfortunately the slab costs about $3k more now!

prior I was planning a larger building but I felt it would overshadow the house. Beyond the virus part of the delay was due to the building commission wanting horizontal rather than vertical siding, which added another $3k for me. Their reasoning was that you would possibly be able to see it from a side street over 150 feet away on the other side of a fence ten feet down! This back corner of the yard has been almost completely useless for years I’ve had a couple of sheds which I wasn’t happy with, old rosebush which I transplanted and weeds popping up often. There is a power pole just on the other side of the fence (which I just had edison replace after 60 years). So the garage will nicely block the support cables, etc. 

it will be painted in the same color of our house (white and blue) the door and window faces towards the yard. The other side faces towards a single car driveway extension and our fence. (The right side had to have a setback of 7ft instead I left 9.5 feet and extended the driveway 9.5x28 ft) and the rear just has to have a setback of 5ft. I also ended up upgrading the entire structure with lifetime warranty shingles and a 20 year warranty. 

They will be using 3000psi concrete and #4 rebar throughout. Hoping to begin on the slab on the week of the 31st! 

5C33EF35-5B46-42F1-BEFD-DBDC88D800FE.jpeg

6E3E9E20-5EA8-4BBC-AA1E-95F5B121E538.jpeg

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)
  • Like 13

20 minutes ago, RansomEli said:

Congratulations, but ouch! Two years to get approval? What state do you live in, or is it the municipality that caused the delay?

it was the city, the govern all permits they just took forever and apparently only have one person working there! (We have two malls, about 15 dealerships in town so there is no excuse!) 

I decided to build a building on my property just for non running and storage project vehicles. I got bids from the pole building companies, stick built construction all quite expensive with lumber prices are they are today.

I found a metal building delivered and erected on my slab. I ordered a 25x25 with 10x10 foot roll up door. It took about 9 weeks from order to delivery. 4 men arrived with the building all cut and fit ready for assembly. These guys started at 9:30 am and drove out of m y driveway at 3:30 the same day , My new shop building was total assembled and ready for storage on the same day.

The cheapest quote I had was a pole building  erected at $21,000 plus tax. My all metal 25x25 delivered and erected total price including tax $9100.00

Very happy with the quality and fit and finish. I ordered dark green enameled  finish to blend in the trees and under brush around the building.

brasscarguy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brasscarguy2 said:

I decided to build a building on my property just for non running and storage project vehicles. I got bids from the pole building companies, stick built construction all quite expensive with lumber prices are they are today.

I found a metal building delivered and erected on my slab. I ordered a 25x25 with 10x10 foot roll up door. It took about 9 weeks from order to delivery. 4 men arrived with the building all cut and fit ready for assembly. These guys started at 9:30 am and drove out of m y driveway at 3:30 the same day , My new shop building was total assembled and ready for storage on the same day.

The cheapest quote I had was a pole building  erected at $21,000 plus tax. My all metal 25x25 delivered and erected total price including tax $9100.00

Very happy with the quality and fit and finish. I ordered dark green enameled  finish to blend in the trees and under brush around the building.

brasscarguy

unfortunately I can’t do a pole building or steel building because of the codes here. The building itself along with all the permitting is $21k and then $7500 for the slab. The permitting and planning alone was $3k. Like i said though the price would be several thousand higher if I ordered it today due to the lumber issue and inflation.

NOW is the time to install this before the slab is poured:  https://www.infloor.com/infloor-products/how-to-determine-the-correct-tube-size-and-spacing-for-your-project/

The cost is not outrageous for the tubing, and even if it is not connected to a heating system immediately, it will be 'in place' already.

Too late after the slab is poured!!

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

NOW is the time to install this before the slab is poured:  https://www.infloor.com/infloor-products/how-to-determine-the-correct-tube-size-and-spacing-for-your-project/

The cost is not outrageous for the tubing, and even if it is not connected to a heating system immediately, it will be 'in place' already.

Craig

The temperature today is 78 :) I’m in southern sunny California 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, 8E45E said:

Craig

Don't forget to take a picture of the exact placement of the tubing for when you drill for the two post lift! 😨

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Walling said:

Don't forget to take a picture of the exact placement of the tubing for when you drill for the two post lift! 😨

Lifts aren’t allowed in our jurisdiction even so I wouldn’t have one as we have earthquakes here! 

15 hours ago, MarkV said:

Lifts aren’t allowed in our jurisdiction even so I wouldn’t have one as we have earthquakes here! 

Consider a Quickjack 7000.  Portable no post lift. Stores easily. No more jacking and Jack stands. Certainly does not fall under the no car lift rule where you live. 

2 hours ago, Bill Boudway said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this

Suggestion: As  soon as the concrete floor is properly cured, have an epoxy coating "installed".

I didn't do that, and the road salt used here has ruined the surface. All pitted and flaking off.

I’m planning on it! But we don’t have snow at all in my area. And the cars that are going in this garage won’t ever be taken out in bad weather. 

2E9A9381-295C-416C-A9D1-2CFDC7EA0166.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...