Spray Glaze of the 50s.

Mikefit

is the Du Pont Spray Glaze of the 1950s just a rebirth o f  the called Ceramic Coating for paint just wondering our DX station would spray it before winter and instruct to leave it on all winter then wash it off with soap and water in the spring

I don't think they masked any off chrome and Windows  

'm u

In the 50's i had noticed a car that has been sprayed with a glaze and I noticed it did cover the chrome.

It was peeling off of the chrome.

I always wondered what it was, now after 70 years I may find out!

• Haha 1

This outfit in Edmonton has been applying that finish to cars since the 1950's, and it appears they still do:  https://www.mingshine.com/

They would apply a small yellow water-slide decal in the vent window stating the car had been 'MING Plated'; an acronym for Master In Natural Glazing, advising the owner to wash & rinse only, and not wax it.  https://www.mingofwinnipeg.ca/the-origin-of-ming

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

This old boy has rubbed kerosene on old cars to sell them. Yes, cars, plural.

You're right.  Through the teen's and twenty's it was recommended to wash your car with a bucket of water with a cup of kerosene in it.  Don't hose it off, let it dry on there.  Here's my 1921 Maxwell after a kerosene wash.  It's first wash in 20 years.  Yes, it's dry after the wash in this photo.  The paint is from the early 1950's.

IMG_0533.JPG

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Harold said:

I remembered I have an actual MING brochure amongst my stuff.   I posted a quick scan of the front and back pages just for fun....

Ming 1.jpg

In 1979, a local Studebaker club member had two of his cars MING Plated; a restored 1950 Champion two door sedan, and a low-mileage 1953 Champion four door sedan in its original Lombard Green paint. Both cars turned out nice with that finish applied.  Interestingly, they would only warranty the finish on the '53 because it had original paint!!

Craig

In the 1960s I recall an auto wax called Blue Coral that was supposed to give exceptional results.  The downside was it took all day and more to apply and remove the wax.  Never used the stuff, I was a Turtle wax guy until the Meguire’s wax hit the market.

Blue Coral wax was the one everyone used in the 60's. I think it was the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean that even used it in a song the verse went something like "the Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty" talking about one of the songs that was about a car. Can't remember which song. 

dave s 

edit- bugged me so I looked it up. Jan & Dean - Drag City

Lyrics
 A-lookin' real tough with chrome reverse wheels
A Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty
Gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City
Yeah I'm goin' to Drag City (run her through, now)
Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1