Why do I have to sign in twice?

I get to the forum viewing as a guest, not logged in. I click on the Sign In buttton and the sign in page comes up. I enter my name/password and not every time, but more often than not I get another log in page with a message saying there has been a problem and I need to reenter my info. It always works the second time and I get into the forum. Next time I see the second page I will pay more attention to exactly what it says. As far as logging in, I always start from the same place and do the same thing. Sometimes I get logged in on the first try, but more often I get the second log in page.

54 minutes ago, edinmass said:

nope......I have to sign in two times every time.........is it an Apple thing?  Been going on for about a month.

I have Cookie 5 on my Mac to clear out cookies and other things when ever I close Safari so for most sites I have to log in every time. However I made an exception for this AACA forum site so I haven’t had to log in for many months. On my iPhone I logged in once then did a "Add to Home Screen" (under the share icon) and haven’t had to re-log in for many months.

You may want to consider doing something similar to avoid having to sign in.

I guess I could log out on either or both of my devices and see if I can replicate your issue. . . I am a bit lazy to do it on Safari, but I had no issue logging in via Firefox on my Mac.

1 hour ago, NewOldWood said:

I get to the forum viewing as a guest, not logged in. I click on the Sign In buttton and the sign in page comes up. I enter my name/password and not every time, but more often than not I get another log in page with a message saying there has been a problem and I need to reenter my info. It always works the second time and I get into the forum. Next time I see the second page I will pay more attention to exactly what it says. As far as logging in, I always start from the same place and do the same thing. Sometimes I get logged in on the first try, but more often I get the second log in page.

Could be that your browser's "remembered" login info is incorrect, so it doesnt login the first time. Only after you manually enter the info.

6 hours ago, NewOldWood said:

Am I the only one that has to go through two sign in pages to get into the site? Is the email login change going to fix this?

Your not alone I have the same issue. Started about 3 months ago. 90% of the time need to sign in twice and rarely can do it on the first try. Using Windows 10 PC.

Me too...and I've erased the cookies half a dozen times so I'm sure that isn't the problem. For me, the problem is intermittent. It hasn't happened lately but for months ALWAYS got an error message...then clicked the "forums" button and it worked.

Oops!

Something went wrong. Please try again.
Twice again today. This is the message I usually get, with two buttons under it...Contact us, and, Registered users sign in. Clicking on the second one brings up the regular sign in page where I reenter my info and get in. Don't have any idea why yesterdays process was different.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

Not sure what you mean.  Explain.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:57 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

Strange.  I'll investigate.

This has been going on for at least 6 months.  I reported it on September 14, 2021 (Forum Sign In Problem).  As evidenced by this thread, others also have the problem, apparently regardless of their hardware, operating system, or browser.  It was intermittent and eventually went away for a while.  But it's back and seems to have restarted about the time the email address became the login username.  And I now have to enter email and password twice every time I login to the forum.  I don't know where the problem lies but it's annoying and needs to be fixed.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
On 3/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

It’s not an universal issue. 

clear out your saved username and password for the forum. And reset your cookies for the forum. 

Then try again. 

It may not be universal but apparently it's not exclusive either.  This is my first login since my March 20 post above and sure enough, I had to enter username and password twice.  Windows 11 and Firefox 98 are set specifically to not save usernames and passwords.  So unless the forum is somehow saving them without my knowledge, that does not apply.  Also, Firefox is set to automatically clear all cookies on exit.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Good for you.  I, on the other hand, have had.

Cant fix a problem I can not reproduce.  Did you do as I suggested?

It’s not a universal issue. Clear out your saved username and password for the forum. And reset your cookies for the forum. Then try again.