Locomobile Custom Body info. and pictures

alsfarms

As more trivial facts, the address in Cleveland for the photographer (5005 Euclid) still stands as a teens or '20s appearing building so perhaps original - now a Salvation Army store. It is a block or two from where J.D. Rockefeller's house once stood on Euclid. I checked Google streetview: while my memory was good enough to know there are embankment walls at Lakeview Cemetery east out of Little Italy (where Rockefeller and President Garfield lie), as well as the winding Cedar Rd, all are block-type walls and not solid stone - so not it. As far as beaches in CT, There's Savin Rock in West Haven but east of Bridgeport. There's Blackrock in Fairfield but the beach isn't called that. Neither have cliffs or a chisled wall like that. I was wondering about a chiseled wall at West Rock tunnel in New Haven but I doubt it was ever cobblestoned. There's chisled stone on Rt. 8 in Trumbull north of Bridgeport but that didn't exist at this time. Most coastal stone in CT is striated (Limestone I believe) and appears different and geologically young. In college Biology class we chiseled on the side of a random highway in upstate NY to reveal 200 million year old fossils...only place in NE to have that period, old rock. Anyhow I digress. Not a rock expert. I'll keep thinking - it'll keep me busy so as not to bid on anything online *laugh*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alan,

No unfortunately this one just states workers at the Locomobile factory. It doesn't show the back side but presumably nothing else is written on them. BTW I found more photos of the Marina mansion from 1961 in the middle of demolition. ....Sad.

-Dan.

• Like 1

Just a short note on custom coachwork. The other day, we had three Henley roadsters sitting next to each other. The rumble seat lid and trunk/no trunk varied by two inches in size and location.......and these were consecutive body numbers........location of door hinges, style of door hinges, drip rails, rear storage area for tools...........they are all different by a country mile. Unless a body was a semi custom made in batches, with big hopes of making say 25 or more........most of the bodies are much more different than you would think. Another example is the JN series of Duessenbergs. They made multiple cars of the same body style all with DIFFRENT plans. Belt lines, fuel filler, fender height, ect.........all the same, but different. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dan,

Being a history buff, it is always a sad moment for me when something from history is taken down for something new. Could you post a couple of pictures, that you refer to, on the older chat regarding the Marina Mansion and it's connection to Locomobile?

Al

Good Morning Ed,

That is interesting regarding a side by side comparison of three Henley Roadsters. We live in a cookie cutter world now and may not fully comprehend what it truly means to be custom built. I am very certain that some items that are used to build up the custom built Locomobile are cookie cutter in nature. Some examples would be the radiator (unless that was spec'd out different) and also hood shelves. I have seen subtle differences even in the hoods. It must have been a very interesting arena for the manufacture of custom bodies back in the day!

Al

• Like 1

The regular trend in the era by a custom coach builder was to think that they may be able to get a "run" production of 3 to 5 bodies. that were similar ( just the structural and sheet metal and castings - interiors were open to clients wishes)  Willoughby, Walker and other coach builders that specialized in enclosed bodies did have runs of 20+ bodies if they had an indication or better yet commitment from an automobile manufacturer for a particular style. I have learned this over the decades from research and some discussions decades ago with men who were there then ( and when I was in conversation with them they were in their 70s at the youngest)

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, prewarnut said:

Alan,

No unfortunately this one just states workers at the Locomobile factory. It doesn't show the back side but presumably nothing else is written on them. BTW I found more photos of the Marina mansion from 1961 in the middle of demolition. ....Sad.

-Dan.

I know this photo, see where it came from:

bodyshop 2.jpg

• Like 1

I notice the custom body plate on the left front lower cowl panel. I would like to know what is shows and the detail. Next, the pin stripping is very visible against the light body color. For some of us, in the throws of Locomobile restoration, any scrap of detail can help us to authentically restore our automobiles. Thanks for posting Frank.

Al

At or near the end of Locomobile 48 production, the rest of the automobile industry was infatuated with the Landau Sedan styling with fabric top to the belt line, landau irons and either blind rear quarter panels or windows. Does anyone here have pictures they could post, either factory sales or an existing Locomobile 48?

Al

I spent some time rereading this Locomobile 38 and 48 forum to glean bits of missed information. During this read, I refamiliarized myself with an earlier posting of what appears to be a landau sedan body style. I will repost one of the pictures of that Locomobile. This one must be a 1924-25-26-27.

Al

image.png.37b5b0bd2aaa7dc0122077e1e3356118.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 2:28 AM, edinmass said:

I have the book, remind me after Amelia next week and I will see what I can find.

Dear Ed, how about checking the Fleetwood-book for details about the bodies for Locomobile?

I just realized I was supposed to remind you after Amelia, but this was March 2022. Now it is again before Amelia…sorry.

Best regards frank

• 2 weeks later...

I think this probably the best Locomobile chat string to pose the following question. Who, of our owners of reasonably intact and mostly original Locomobile's, can give guidance and understanding on the color of the inside surfaces of the hood? Was the inside of the hood typically painted a satin black or gloss? Or was the inside of the hood painted the same color as the chassis? While on this subject, I would assume that the engine side of the firewall would be painted body color?

Observations and your experience is appreciated.

Al

My 1920 (#17005) Touring is mostly original, and it sure looks like the under-hood area is satin black as is the firewall. The hood shelves are satin on the inner side (the area that is not seen when the hood is closed). I hope this helps, Ben

• Like 1

Thanks. I am trying to come up with a solid but general idea of what the typical paint protocol would have been. My 1925 has a bit of.  The factory original paint from which I can get a modern paint match. However, chassis, fenders, engine compartment, hood and other trim items hold no direct clues as to paint color and luster. Does anyone else have information from an original survivor automobile to add to this conversation.

Al

Much ado about nothing. There are a few processes that all Locomobiles have in common regarding painting. They were all customer selected colors. Your car is Durant period so this early description might not apply. One thing for sure is that no one can replicate the factory process. Do what you like. Just as a 9FE08134-ECAA-49B7-A387-E46E438AED1F.jpeg.30f736c712dc115e8dc7eb5ffc849414.jpegcustomer would have done in the day.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, George K said:

Much ado about nothing. There are a few processes that all Locomobiles have in common regarding painting. They were all customer selected colors. Your car is Durant period so this early description might not apply. One thing for sure is that no one can replicate the factory process. Do what you like. Just as a 9FE08134-ECAA-49B7-A387-E46E438AED1F.jpeg.30f736c712dc115e8dc7eb5ffc849414.jpegcustomer would have done in the day.

George, great piece.  What is the source?  Would you send a copy of the cover to go with the above for us to shamelessly flaunt. 

• Like 1

George, I just read again the copy of original painting of Locomobile automobiles. That said, it is interesting that this piece of literature referred to Locomobile "baking" the paint which is applied to metal surfaces. Does anyone here have factor photos showing the baking paint process as described above?

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Frank pointed me back towards this thread and probably a good place for this to go.  I posted it in the 48 thread but as a custom bodied car with a lot of discussion in the earlier pages of this thread I'll post it here also.

1925 Locomobile Model 48 Derham Convertible Sedan

The Amelia Auction 2024 | Estimate: $200,000 - $240,000

Offered Without Reserve

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/vehicles/am24_r040/1925-locomobile-model-48-derham-convertible-sedan

1925-locomobile-model-48-derham-convertible-sedan.webp.071899730fc78a3e22584304f04bfb0f.webp

1925-locomobile-model-48-derham-convertible-sedan-1.webp.2cafee61d9269b30aacb0771fc0acd7a.webp

1925-locomobile-model-48-derham-convertible-sedan.webp.34826eb31f45d3fe09a92da5e032367c.webp

1925-locomobile-model-48-derham-convertible-sedan-1.webp.3aea9ca68a8569436440264496cc0af8.webp

• Like 1