Locomobile Custom Body info. and pictures

alsfarms

On 1/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, alsfarms said:

Morning Ed,

I have found that nothing is ever a "for sure" thing when it comes to records, verification, finding parts/cars and especially considering this chat on custom body works for our heavy antique automobiles.  Just when I get close to saying "never" I will have a significant and delightful surprise.  I have several "over the fence post stories" that prove the wisdom to the saying "never say never".  It sounds like you have had your chance of never say never proven to be sure after all in your lifelong automobile meanderings. Have you seen very many accurately restored Floyd-Durham custom bodies, on any make, in your travels?.

Al

Here you go.....owned by a close friend.......visited it on Friday last week......

4A643CFC-F6A4-4063-88F9-87871B72CE23.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

It's an IF.   If it starts, and gets you to your destination your doing great!

!928 Floyd Durham Isotta. Well known car. Runs and drives well. Has done a few short tours with me. Owner has a bunch of fantastic stuff. The body looks like a carbon coby of a Hibbard & Darrin............done by Floyd Durham. Everyone stole from everyone else. 

George,

This is a similar statement to what you posted on the other Locomobile custom body chat.  Interesting that this write-up suggests that several custom body builders are building the same basic body design that was from LeBaron, and LeBaron styling was influenced by the design work of DeCausse at Locomobile.  I am starting to really get my arms around this custom body building time frame of the 1920's and 1930's.  I more and more understand why the Demarest Limousine body on my 1925 looks so similar to other contemporaries of the day.  Its almost like they could be step cousins of sort!

Al

1 minute ago, alsfarms said:

George,

This is a similar statement to what you posted on the other Locomobile custom body chat.  Interesting that this write-up suggests that several custom body builders are building the same basic body design that was from LeBaron, and LeBaron styling was influenced by the design work of DeCausse at Locomobile.  I am starting to really get my arms around this custom body building time frame of the 1920's and 1930's.  I more and more understand why the Demarest Limousine body on my 1925 looks so similar to other contemporaries of the day.  Its almost like they could be step cousins of sort!

Al

Al, Here’s a real cousin. Art Austria auction. 4C4DCDD2-5F6F-41BD-A116-FB835FE17247.jpeg.60503801f5963bf9dd4eb414ba207343.jpegF202DC95-A938-4DAA-9EDA-47115B67755E.jpeg.0f7ac783d928c716b2bdbd20e56bb4d0.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you happen to have a picture of this Locomobile taken from the right side?  That body sure looks like the same if not the exact same as my Demarest Limousine.  Same fenders also.  This one has the louvers on the hood sides.  I have not seen that before.  My unit does not have louvers in the hood sides panels.

Al

Hmmmm, Sadly, with the popularity of the Mercer Raceabout models, many of the more typical Mercer models have morphed into something else.  The same thing has happened to Stutz as a result of the popularity of the Bearcat.  Actually, even with the Locomobile, Cadillac, Packard and Duesenburg marques, rebody to a more valuable thing has happened countless times as we chase dreams and dollars.  We in this antique are certainly a bit fickle for sure.  That is why I, for one, applaud a survivor well kept so we actually get a taste of early automobile Americana as it left the factory.   Restore if no other option, but savor originality.  Fortunately, I know of several survivor Locomobile automobiles and wish that my Demarest Limousine was one of them.

Al

39 minutes ago, George K said:

If you could turn the steering wheel sitting still you must of eaten your “Wheaties”

It was up on blocks.......I remember how the building was only heated to about fifty degrees in the winter......and the truck didn’t have a heater.........😏

There was a Springfield Ghost, a York, a PII, and a giant Napier in the same area. The Napier was about 1910. Huge dump truck of a car....big and ugly.

The Floyd Derham car is very modern compared to any other Loco .........at least that is what it seemed to me back in the day..........at the time I wanted the car in the worst way, today I would prefer an earlier Loco. 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:12 PM, George K said:

Al, Here’s a real cousin. Art Austria auction. 4C4DCDD2-5F6F-41BD-A116-FB835FE17247.jpeg.60503801f5963bf9dd4eb414ba207343.jpegF202DC95-A938-4DAA-9EDA-47115B67755E.jpeg.0f7ac783d928c716b2bdbd20e56bb4d0.jpeg

George, is this information from the 1971 Arthur Fred Austria's Simplex garage auction catalogue? I searched a bit on the internet and saw from the catalogues previews that he had at least six Locos. Does this Sedan survive?

The description is interesting: the year 1925 is matching the 19000-car number.

It has front wheel brakes and the front doors open to the front, the back doors to the back (different to the earlier cars).

What is a kettledrum headlamp?

I find the mentioning of the Berling magneto interesting. This is not supposed to be. That late model shall have the Delco dual distributors. But who knows what happened to the car, it was already nearly 50 years old by then, and this Mr. Austria seemed not to hesitate modifying things...

21 hours ago, George K said:

Frank, This a drum head light. Kettle drum is a type of drum. C05AEE62-33AF-4C06-B269-BD56435BE8B0.jpeg.b23e5e492ba11820ee3c6898191b10b0.jpeg

Thanks, George. This style headlamp looks similar but not identical to the headlamps on my 1917 M7 tourer. My lamps have a hinge on the outside (left lamp on the left hand side, right lamp on the right) and a knob for operating a spring-loaded catch on the inside. Press the knob and the door can be opened. The lamps are 11" and German Silver plated (this was mentioned at least 40 years ago when the car was described by the owner) and bear a plate "FLEETWOOD" on top. The fittings look perfectly matching the Loco lamp holder bar and supports. Can you or someone tell me: Was Fleetwood a supplier of general accessories for every body builder, or was it specifically made for another car brand, or was that lamp optional to Locos, or what is the reason that I have not seen any other Loco with exactly these headlamps? I can't even remember having ever seen another car with "Fleetwood"-labeled lamps.

1 headlamp DSCN1189.JPG

1 IMG_7316 headlamp.JPG

DSCN1188.JPG

1 IMG_7323 reflektorrückseite (2).JPG

1 IMG_7328 catch (2).JPG

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that that coachwork tag wasn't the headlight when the car was new............too much over the top for the era. 

1 hour ago, George K said:

Fleetwood is the body builder. Google it Coachbilt site has the whole story.

Thanks, I will follow up on that carefully. I knew that body builder and the connection to Fisher bodies, but I didn't notice until now that the design of their sign is exactly the same as on my headlamps.

Another detail: Look how the back of the drum is shaped.

1 IMG_7345 back.JPG

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that that coachwork tag wasn't the headlight when the car was new............too much over the top for the era. 

Ed, you made me wondering, so I went back to my Tourer and checked how the FLEETWOOD tag is attached: See, it is bolted with square nuts and then soldered, not a quick fix by someone who just adds a nice looking tag he found somewhere else?

1 IMG_7335 muttern.JPG

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Thanks, George. This style headlamp looks similar but not identical to the headlamps on my 1917 M7 tourer. My lamps have a hinge on the outside (left lamp on the left hand side, right lamp on the right) and a knob for operating a spring-loaded catch on the inside. Press the knob and the door can be opened. The lamps are 11" and German Silver plated (this was mentioned at least 40 years ago when the car was described by the owner) and bear a plate "FLEETWOOD" on top. The fittings look perfectly matching the Loco lamp holder bar and supports. Can you or someone tell me: Was Fleetwood a supplier of general accessories for every body builder, or was it specifically made for another car brand, or was that lamp optional to Locos, or what is the reason that I have not seen any other Loco with exactly these headlamps? I can't even remember having ever seen another car with "Fleetwood"-labeled lamps.

1 headlamp DSCN1189.JPG

1 IMG_7316 headlamp.JPG

DSCN1188.JPG

1 IMG_7323 reflektorrückseite (2).JPG

1 IMG_7328 catch (2).JPG

They are beautiful condition lights for sure.

Frank......I have owned Fleetwood bodied cars since 1982(early big cars), have looked at countless cars, and they just simply look very out of place. Best guess is they were done fifty years ago. I would expect riveted attachment. Just doesn’t look or feel right........to me they seem out of place. In my entire life, never came across anything remotely similar. I could be wrong...........but certain things just don’t fit. Fleetwood tags on lights makes no sense.