1934 Ford car 4 cylinder

junkyardjeff

25 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I thought they were made but can only find pictures of the four in trucks so were they actually made, going to build a model of one and would like to see pictures of one in a car so I can try to make it look correct.

The production figures per body style are quoted in The Standard Catalog, the total was about 2,000.

If you log onto a site called "The Ford Garage" there is an article titled "The Model C Engine Myth". It gives a very informative explanation of the '33-'34 four cylinder "C" motor.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelcmyth.htm

What I have read over the years is, that there were a lot more 4 cylinder cars sold in Canada then US. The C cast in the head does not indicate there is a counter balanced crankshaft in the engine. That is covered in the write-up.

Here are some photos of a four in a '33 chassis.  The '34 version is identical except for the starter motor wherein the V8 starter motor was adapted for use on the four and the generator, wherein the front and rear covers were changed to die castings and vent holes were added in the rear cover.

With respect, there was no statistically significant difference in the ratios of fours to V8s sold in Canada versus those sold in the U.S.

_DSC4253.JPG

olympus photos June, 2013 180.JPG

olympus photos June, 2013 069.JPG

• Thanks 1

They were definitely made.  The guys from the Early Ford V8 Club could give you more of the specifics that I can.

I know the '32 Fords that had the 4-cylinder were referred to as the Model 'B' but I'm not sure about the '33-'34.  

I will say that after doing three frame off restorations of a Flathead Ford to Early Ford V8 judging standards, I will say that Henry Ford didn't throw much away, so a 4-cylinder Ford engine in a '33-'34 could very well be the same engine used in the later Model 'A's.  I can't confirm that, but the Early Ford V8 guys can.

I will say that I have a '34 Ford Panel in my shop that has the 4cylinder in it, so they definitely used that engine in the trucks.  I know the frame on the '34's are the same frame rails as the '32 Ford because we had to replace them, so the engine may very well be the same too.

• Like 1

"With respect, there was no statistically significant difference in the ratios of fours to V8s sold in Canada versus those sold in the U.S."

I did not say anything about ratios, I just said that from information I have seen, there were more 4 cylinder cars/trucks sold in Canada than the US, and because the question was asked about a 34, that would relate to that year, maybe 33 too.

I did work on a nice unrestored 33 3 window coupe that came from the factory with the 4 cylinder engine.

8 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:
18 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I thought they were made but can only find pictures of the four in trucks so were they actually made,going to build a model of one and would like to see pictures of one in a car so I can try to make it look correct.

Chapter 4 of the 1933-34 Ford Book by the Early Ford V8 Club has a whole section on the 4 cylinder option.  actual a Model B woth Model C on           the head.  Including pictures. 

ex98thdrill, The Model A 4 cylinder motor and the '32-'33-'34 4 cylinder motors are different. The two most obvious difference's are the latter motors have a mechanical fuel pump located on the passenger side of the block and the head and water pump castings are different and there are several other minute differences. Also, are you saying that the 1932 and the '33-'34 frames are the same? I think you need to do a little more research on the subject.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ex98thdrill said:

I know the '32 Fords that had the 4-cylinder were referred to as the Model 'B' but I'm not sure about the '33-'34.  

I will say that I have a '34 Ford Panel in my shop that has the 4cylinder in it, so they definitely used that engine in the trucks.

The trucks were Model 'BB'.

Craig

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

ex98thdrill, The Model A 4 cylinder motor and the '32-'33-'34 4 cylinder motors are different. The two most obvious difference's are the latter motors have a mechanical fuel pump located on the passenger side of the block and the head and water pump castings are different and there are several other minute differences. 

Wasn't another difference was that later (don't know how much later) engines had counterweighted crankshafts?

• Like 1

Coincidentally this photo came up today on a facebook page. Most likely a UK built Ford truck, and possibly four cylinder powered.  I first thought it was a Model 7V (which was V8 powered)  - see link for reference - but the radiator looks more like the BB. The first time I have seen a cab-over BB.

Fordson Thames 7V | Classic Cars Wiki | Fandom

SAG Bruno Desbois UK Ford.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

ex98thdrill, The Model A 4 cylinder motor and the '32-'33-'34 4 cylinder motors are different. The two most obvious difference's are the latter motors have a mechanical fuel pump located on the passenger side of the block and the head and water pump castings are different and there are several other minute differences. Also, are you saying that the 1932 and the '33-'34 frames are the same? I think you need to do a little more research on the subject.

I've never messed with all three, so I don't know the difference, but I mentioned it because I know how Henry Ford had a history of never throwing anything away.  As for the frame, I'm not talking about the whole frame, I'm talking about the frame rails.  The guy who has the frame to that '34 Panel had frame rails rusted out, and he bought brand new frame rails off of a '32 and put it together.  I haven't seen the finished frame yet, so I don't know if there's a difference.

I do know that the frame rails were bought from Coker.