How it’s done on Facebook

MrEarl

I’ve been using FB lately mostly to help sell some parts. Was a bit dismayed to see how some there disseminate there knowledge and how to’s of working on Buicks. Certainly makes one appreciate all the friendly and freely given info presented by our folks here such as Willie and Mud and many others doesn’t it. 

6AA0A4C0-8511-4F4D-8AD7-3D97309F8F8D.jpeg.db8b02c9a00c9609c6548e742818aa74.jpeg

or am I missing something here? 

• Haha 2

I haven't found any buyers on Facebook.  And sometimes I cringe to read "helpful" comments from the (im)posters who may actually be looking to help.  Mostly I am discouraged by the amount of individual groups one can find for just about any topic.  There are several groups for any one of my cars and it seems like more are started each day.  I have always liked the ability on this site to learn about other Buicks before and after my cars but on FB that opportunity is suppressed by all those individual groups.  Its too bad but the saying comes to mind : united we stand, divided we fall.  Of course that is overly dramatic when we are talking about a hobby, but I still think the 118 years of this marquee are all interesting and having it all under one forum is much more convenient. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 1/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, JohnD1956 said:

I haven't found any buyers on Facebook.

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I have sold a few things using FB

I've sold quite a bit, most at below market prices. I have found some repeat buyers there who when I have something already pulled or in the closet or barn loft that I've decided to turn loose I'll give them the first heads up. They certainly don't grasp the meaning of pull your own though.

I am dismayed at all the LS,  crate motor and part or full chassis swaps though. They certainly take the "It's my car, blah blah blah" phrase to heart, tha's for sure.

• Like 4

I somewhat suspect that the demographic of the "typical FB user" might be a bit younger than many of us in here tend to be.  Hence, the "popular" LS swaps and such.  They can tend to like the style, but want modern guts under it, by observation.  BTAIM

They might not know how to adjust the idle mixture on a carb, so they desire "what THEY grew up with" . . . disc brakes, EFI, LS engines, coil-over shock chassis swaps, etc.  Nothing bad with that, but it can also limit their knowledge of what made cars what they were when they were new, rather than some other modernized interpretation of such.  Nor might they fully understand that each of the GM brands was a unique vehicle, rather than what they now see in GM vehicles having corporate this or that.

From the start of the Internet, each portal (Yahoo! and such) had their own set of groups for their users.  Got to be a hassel to keep up with all of them!  I was surprised at how many of the users in the Buick group were 20-somethings, or younger.  Got their first car in high school and did a website on it, in the group, for example.  I recall one was about a '85 LeSabre 4dr sedan!  Not to forget the active GM J-body forum!  THAT group was swapping tips and knowleged as we have tended to do in here . . . or any other group of car enthusiasts trying to "make it better".  Plus an active RegalGS group of (apparently) 30-somethings.

As things have evolved, you can't really discount or ignore FB.  Some have good luck there and others might not.  A variable situation.  At the present time, I'm not on FB . . . although I know others that are.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That Facebook demographic:

your young men will be fritterin'
Fritterin' away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too
Get the LS into a place where it oughtn't be, never mind gettin' dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beef steak pounded
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble

• Haha 7

FB has its merits, but is to be employed with caution.  I've met a couple good car guys there, but have learned to steer clear of the dipschitz, which are quite bountiful along with bad advice.

Bargains can be found there occasionally and that's usually the only time you'll sell something on FB.

There seems to also be an unwritten rule that ads for cars are to be written using run-on sentences only using as little punctuation and proper grammar as possible.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 1/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, 60FlatTop said:

That Facebook demographic:

your young men will be fritterin'
Fritterin' away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too
Get the LS into a place where it oughtn't be, never mind gettin' dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beef steak pounded
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble

Thanks Professor Hill!